Author

Topic: [0.1 Bounty Claimed] Please write a complete guide with screenshots on Gridseed (Read 11243 times)

legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1031
bros im spinning my head but cant make it work on windows.
i hope some good soul can help me. i have 10 units and windows 8

1. plugin, use zadig to install USB / uninstall everything, install driver of lastlighing and thn plugin [like on guide here]:
still i end like this:

link to image: https://i.imgur.com/FVG7ZHD.png

this are on ports 0-10 so right ones.

2. then i have:
cgminer-3-8-5-gridseed-windows - when i run it cgminer just dies [this is for BTC]

cpuminer-GC3355-win32-fixed-OC for LTC:

link to image: https://i.imgur.com/xfgNww4.png

what am i missing here? of course i can change COM to 3 4 5 6 - still error is same.

please help good people

Have you tried it without the zadig drivers? So scrypt only?
Yes, same question, try Scrypt first, and deinstall STMicroelectronics driver, you do not need the STMicroelectronicsdriver.
Whitout the STMicroelectronics driver iget them to work!
Activity: 420
Merit: 250

1. plugin, use zadig to install USB / uninstall everything, install driver of lastlighing and thn plugin [like on guide here]:
still i end like this:

2. then i have:
cgminer-3-8-5-gridseed-windows - when i run it cgminer just dies [this is for BTC]

what am i missing here? of course i can change COM to 3 4 5 6 - still error is same.

please help good people

Have you tried it without the zadig drivers? So scrypt only?
Activity: 358
Merit: 255
Try the driver that's included with bfgminer.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
http://fuk.io - check it out!

still i end like this:

2. then i have:

please help good people
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000
the grandpa of cryptos
to me it never shows up STMicroelectronics Virtual COM port (COMXX)
but just STM Virutal COM port - im on windows8
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Its the golden version with an smt port (not the 210x)
And i tried 3 computer. OS was W XP/7/8
legendary
Same Problem as Zeta ...

Everything plugged in, Fan turning, Green LED Flashing

Spinning loud and clear  Grin  lights go on...there it stops.

To do List: replace the usb cable, replace the 12 volt 5 amp power supply.
Will report back in a view hours

Do you guys both have the gold heatsink units?

You could also try another USB port, I have heard some people had trouble with specific ports.
For me yes the Gold unit. Tried on 3 pc,`s: win 7 64, win 7 32 and XP SP3
Same Problem as Zeta ...

Spinning loud and clear  Grin  lights go on...there it stops.

Do you guys both have the gold heatsink units?

You could also try another USB port, I have heard some people had trouble with specific ports.
Interesting thing:

In BTC Mode CGMINER 3.8.5. is "working". I get a Hashrate and everything.
But there are no accepted or rejected shares. Instead I get a ton of LW (local work), 5000LW in 15min to be exact.

Hope this can help
legendary
Hi,
I am having troubles getting my miner up and running (scrypt only)

Ok, since your minerd does start sending work to the miner, it seems that the miner is recognized (so settings seem to be ok).

Have you checked the USB and power cable? Is the fan on the unit spinning?
Spinning loud and clear  Grin  lights go on...there it stops.

Same Problem as Zeta ...

Hi,

Ok, since your minerd does start sending work to the miner, it seems that the miner is recognized (so settings seem to be ok).

Have you checked the USB and power cable? Is the fan on the unit spinning?
legendary
Hi,
I have used the suggested mining softwarere from this blog http://cryptomining-blog.com/1165-download-cpuminer-for-gridseed-5-chip-gc3355-asics-with-reduced-power-usage/

I get a error when i click on miner.exe, see picture below.

I i use the bat file it seems that the miner is working but i suspect no share`s are accepted, please see picture below.

I try to use more that one pool, multipool.us, megamultiepool
For that last pool this are my worker name and passw. stratum+tcp://scrypt.megamultipool.com:3335 worker naam is ZetaOS.dual2
I have changed the com poort to com2 using the STMicroelectronics Virtual Com Port, Port2 seems to be free, i have tried other ports as well, and ofcourse edit it in the miner.bat file.
Picture divicemanager comport 2 free

My bat file looks like this

Code:
minerd.exe --freq=650 --gc3355=COM2 -o stratum+tcp://scrypt.megamultipool.com:3353 -u ZetaOS.dual2 -p x

Also tryed this bat file settings

Code:
minerd.exe --freq=650 --gc3355=COM2 -o stratum+tcp://scrypt.megamultipool.com:3353 -u ZetaOS.dual2 -p x

Video whit the trouble i have
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhhDlJZT0ws
Sorry for my bad English, but as anyone have a clue what i am doing wrong here?
OK are are pictures of before in device manager and after in device manager when Zadig program is run and WINUSB is applied. Note that after STM32 is still in device manage but now listed under USB devices instead of com ports and it no longer has a com port assigned to it.

I i could figure out a way to assign a com port maybe I might be all set

And you can't just change it in properties I suppose?

I have the exact same issue, have you found a solution?

The solution was remembering the comport number before installing the zadig driver. Then use that comport.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
OK are are pictures of before in device manager and after in device manager when Zadig program is run and WINUSB is applied. Note that after STM32 is still in device manage but now listed under USB devices instead of com ports and it no longer has a com port assigned to it.
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b609/louiemgallant/BeforeZadig_zpsd30804c3.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b609/louiemgallant/AfterZadig_zpsb3c4e6a5.jpg

I have the exact same issue, have you found a solution?
Activity: 518
I am a meat Popsicle
OK so I tried dual mining at 850mhz on both sha and scrypt and I start to get a ton of red noonce on the scrypt, If I keep scrypt at 850 and reduce Sha to 800 or less the red noonce go away. So I currently have Sha at 750 ant scrypt at 850. I am getting 6GH/s sha and 360kh/s Scrypt. I feel this works best for me.
I am a meat Popsicle
Ok so I found a link to a youtube video and followed the video's instructions and I got my single red finned gridseed to  dual mine. So if you are like me and had the STM32 Virtual driver instead of the other one finish reading this and watch the video. Now the key is you have to remember the com assigned to the miner before you apply the usb driver with zadig as this is still secretly the com port to use in cpu miner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjXu5BYjEHo&list=UUcqRbsp96-Z3BAu_oSG-TCA
I have my red gridseed now dual mining in windows gets 330kh/s scrypt and 6GH/s sha256. I also posted a picture of it dual mining alongside a couple of  antminer U1's. To do this you have to have the antminers unplugged, and when you run cgminer for the gridseed have hotplug set to 0 so it does not try to detect the antminers and crash. then after you gridseed is all running launch bfgminer for the antminers.
Activity: 378
I've found in my experience that running it with cpuminer (not controller) seems to work a whole lot better in linux than windows.  Just look in `dmesg` when you plug the usb in and it'll give you the comm (/dev/xxxUSBxxx) that was connected and just use that to start cpuminer with and just works, no configuration on port needed.

That sounds great! Linux,,I've always wanted to try it out. What things besides comm port assignment and config' does Linux do better where mining with GS5s goes?
Is it easy to install Linux on a partition of my current winxp or win7 hard drive?

I don't care if I'm using Windblow$ or not. I am from the good ol' days of DOS and I loved how fast it ran and how easy it was to use...oh the joy! Anyway, enlighten me on your experiences with Linux, if you would be so kind.
Thanks
Wolfey2014

Linux is a big topic.  There are a lot of guides around the web.

For most mining, it's about the same linux/window; but for gridseeds it was just easier in linux (for me atleast, I had problems with COM ports in windows). When plugged in, dmesg gives this:

Code:
[1170592.480023] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
[1170592.656033] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0483, idProduct=5740
[1170592.656036] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[1170592.656038] usb 3-1: Product: STM32 Virtual COM Port
[1170592.656040] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: STMicroelectronics
[1170592.656041] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: 8D8737965551
[1170608.388477] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[1170608.388558] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

It shows up as ttyACM0 (some versions will show up as ttyUSB0)

Then I just build the cpuminer (fork provided by gridseed) and then just gave it the option from above:

Code:
--gc3355=/dev/ttyACM0

What about the spoon and knife? Smiley
What does 'fork' mean in geek speak?

That coding looks like more mother forking convolution to me Wink
I think I'll just stick with Windblow$ and keep the coding to a bare minimum.
My shyt's working just fine...for now - crossing fingers - Wink
Wolfey2014
Activity: 13
I've found in my experience that running it with cpuminer (not controller) seems to work a whole lot better in linux than windows.  Just look in `dmesg` when you plug the usb in and it'll give you the comm (/dev/xxxUSBxxx) that was connected and just use that to start cpuminer with and just works, no configuration on port needed.

That sounds great! Linux,,I've always wanted to try it out. What things besides comm port assignment and config' does Linux do better where mining with GS5s goes?
Is it easy to install Linux on a partition of my current winxp or win7 hard drive?

I don't care if I'm using Windblow$ or not. I am from the good ol' days of DOS and I loved how fast it ran and how easy it was to use...oh the joy! Anyway, enlighten me on your experiences with Linux, if you would be so kind.
Thanks
Wolfey2014

Linux is a big topic.  There are a lot of guides around the web.

For most mining, it's about the same linux/window; but for gridseeds it was just easier in linux (for me atleast, I had problems with COM ports in windows). When plugged in, dmesg gives this:

Code:
[1170592.480023] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
[1170592.656033] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0483, idProduct=5740
[1170592.656036] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[1170592.656038] usb 3-1: Product: STM32 Virtual COM Port
[1170592.656040] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: STMicroelectronics
[1170592.656041] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: 8D8737965551
[1170608.388477] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[1170608.388558] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

It shows up as ttyACM0 (some versions will show up as ttyUSB0)

Then I just build the cpuminer (fork provided by gridseed) and then just gave it the option from above:

Code:
--gc3355=/dev/ttyACM0

Thanks
Wolfey2014
Activity: 13
I am a meat Popsicle
Using Com1 seems to let cpuminer detect the gridseed however when running, it is not solving any shares , see my screen grab below
I am a meat Popsicle

No below is all you have after Zadig

I am a meat Popsicle

Are you sure the comport is right? I also had a DM from someone with the same error, in that case the usb port was faulty. So try a different port as well.
The USB port is fine. The PC is brand new build, The device worked before through the port before I switched this driver
To bring you up to speed, check the link below and read the comments:
http://cryptomining-blog.com/1254-how-to-mine-both-btc-and-ltc-on-gridseed-5-chip-gc3355-asic/
I think he meant, in the batch file. You have to look in device manager for the COM port, and see what number it is assigned, and the put that in the batch file. I think that is what he means.

That is the problem when I istall the WINUSB, the device dissappears in my device manager along with the com port, check the link i posted up to. I have the newer version which is somewhat different then the one they used in their how to.

Sorry, I don't know the answer either. Maybe if I have time, I can try to test it. But if you don't have a COM port in your devicemanager, it makes sense that the minerd can not connect to a COM port.

Bounty SENT!

Thanks, I confirm that I've received 0.1 BTC Smiley
Activity: 56

Are you sure the comport is right? I also had a DM from someone with the same error, in that case the usb port was faulty. So try a different port as well.
The USB port is fine. The PC is brand new build, The device worked before through the port before I switched this driver
http://cryptomining-blog.com/1254-how-to-mine-both-btc-and-ltc-on-gridseed-5-chip-gc3355-asic/
I think he meant, in the batch file. You have to look in device manager for the COM port, and see what number it is assigned, and the put that in the batch file. I think that is what he means.

That is the problem when I istall the WINUSB, the device dissappears in my device manager along with the com port, check the link i posted up to. I have the newer version which is somewhat different then the one they used in their how to.

Sorry, I don't know the answer either. Maybe if I have time, I can try to test it. But if you don't have a COM port in your devicemanager, it makes sense that the minerd can not connect to a COM port.

Bounty SENT!

I am a meat Popsicle

Activity: 336
OK followed this, when I downloaded Zadig there was nothing in the drop down menu, i had to select list all devices, now STM32 virtual com port came up and I installed the driver. I am now mining BTC side but my Scrypt side now fails even with the --dual option added to the bat file!!!

I am a meat Popsicle
OK followed this, when I downloaded Zadig there was nothing in the drop down menu, i had to select list all devices, now STM32 virtual com port came up and I installed the driver. I am now mining BTC side but my Scrypt side now fails even with the --dual option added to the bat file!!!

Activity: 336
I figured it out I got a power supply with more AMP's hooked it up and its now mining Smiley
don't forget to use the updated minerd software, so if you only run in SCRYPT mode, you only use 1.0 amps....I am running one with  power supply that outputs 1.1 amps just fine....gonna see if it lets me mess w/ the freq at 1.1 amps power to the unit.

I am a meat Popsicle
I am a meat Popsicle
I have given up on the little board it freezes up my whole network when i try to access it almost all the time, have no idea why. cannot open any web pages and it just hangs when trying to access. Someone else gave me another option just need a little help there though.
They gave me a link to a version of cgminer that runs these
http://cryptomining-blog.com/1245-download-cgminer-3-8-5-for-windows-btc-mining-on-gridseed-5-chip-gc3355-asics/
But i need someone to explain to me how to do the following:
in order for this cgminer to detect your ASIC device you need to install a WinUSB driver over the virtual COM to USB driver
legendary
Activity: 986
Merit: 1000
Crypto Currency , Mining, Exchange ATM, Wallet!
Please post a guide with screenshots on how to install and run a 5 chip gridseed unit.

The best guide will receive a 0.1 BTC bounty. Thanks!

follow my post. you will get free guide.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/lightningasic-usb-miners-based-gridseed-gc3355-tech-support-thread-477709
I am a meat Popsicle
take the controller and put it in a little box you do not need one.

use this link

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/gridseed-5-chip-cells-466230

Download driver: Here (http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF257938)
Extract file:
Run setup file

assign a com port to the machine
I understand I do not need one for scrypt only I have it running around 400 on my win64bit pc already but I would like to take advantage of its dual mining abilities which is not yet established in windows. On another note I have a red fin one and I did not need to install any drivers. I am running windows 7 64bit and it auto picked up the miner as soon as i plugged it in to a usb port. I have it running through my pc oc'd to 850 getting around 400Kh/s

It is worker 4, it is surpassing worker 2 which is an OC'd 7870 doing 400Kh/s on my end not pool end
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
take the controller and put it in a little box you do not need one.

use this link

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/gridseed-5-chip-cells-466230

Download driver: Here (http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF257938)
Extract file:
Run setup file

assign a com port to the machine
donator
Activity: 686
Merit: 519
It's for the children!
Has anyone been able to get these to dual mine under windows

Apparently there is no CGminer compiled for windows for the 5 chip devices as of yet. So no?

I am a meat Popsicle
I need some help, I am going to smash this %$*(% wiibox controller I cannot get the damn thing to work. I can log into the page for it but it tells me No BTC equipment! and NO LTC equipment.

I have 5v power to the mini usb on it i have a powered hub connected to the large usb on it and I have a network cable connected to the back of my router on it. I have no idea why it has two network ports. and i do not know what the little button is for.
I and open a web page and see the crappy chinese webpage for the device and enter settings but it says No BTC equipment! and NO LTC equipment under each item. I have had the miner running scrypt fine directly under windows but I would like to take advantage of its dual mining abilities. This stupid piece of crap controller is starting to frustrate the shit out of me. Also what is the little jumper on it for.
I am a meat Popsicle
Has anyone been able to get these to dual mine under windows
legendary
Activity: 1167
Merit: 1009

I went to your btc address posted>

https://blockchain.info/address/1Mg2RRE1Xf35tt5pErFtJSWEumFd5DwNrw

no one gave you any btc at all.  sad to see that.  well I sent you some coin. as I think your work was worth some coin.
https://blockchain.info/tx/7bf620a2afae1c0e11dded9dd198cb4e147ec2f3ca31800743eccf5f7e4c2c83

mind you not 0.10 BTC as :

A) not my offer in the first place
B) As a 1 language person ( English ) only. The  screen shot are not my only Language of English.

Still your time spent can be helpful to people so thanks. I sent about .013 btc to you address

Thanks for the BTC! I'm sorry about the language, but my windows is in Dutch, so I can't really do anything about it. Is there anything I can do to make it more clear? I tried to be clear in my description, and use the terms from the english windows there.
legendary

Ok, so you have 20 miners, which require around 10W each (in scrypt only mode), so 200W on 12V line, which is 16A. Every powersupply should be capable of delivering that, especially if it has 4x pci-e connector.

If the cables have been made correct (there are three +12V lines in a sata connector, I don't know if it works when only 1 or 2 are connected), they should work. The same for molex. I have my miners running of a molex connector.

Please remember this when troubleshooting:

- There have been multiple cases in which the controller couldn't handle the full 20 miners
- The controllers have a tendency to not hash at all, if something is wrong with one of the miners

So, I would say you need to try each miner separately, at a frequency of 600 to start with, and check if they all work. Then you need to check with a known working miner whether all USB and power cables work. If everything works, try adding miners one at a time, and see when they stop working.

I have 10 miners per controller, 10 a USB hub. x2
Except for 2 that are troublesome, they all hash seperately for a while. So, they appear to work. (No idea if there is another test)
If i connect them miner after miner, it will hash and speedup.. Until the controller reboots and it never really picks up after that.

It still also seems the USB hub is at fault: i get only one YAY when connected from Windows. Tried my W8.1 desktop and my wifes W7 laptop. Both hubs the same result.
I might buy a new hub thats tested.. Orico or the Sipolar that's shipped with it usually.

I'm getting a gridseed kit soon for a friend, i'll try those hubs and controllers..

Hopefully Jack releases the final firmware today as promised, i'm told the reboots are gone, hashing speeds higher and overall stability.

Even if it hashes at lower speed as advertised, i would be OK.. The reboots, i don't like. This really takes the profits down..

From a Senior Master Tech's viewpoint: (and no, I don't claim to know it all) I'm just damm good at what I do Wink...most of the time...

It sounds like testing the hub/firmware could be a good start.

I noticed today that my controller is not displaying the hashrate (it says 0 khash/s), but it does register shares, and the pool also registers them. I hadn't had that before...

Evidently, all controllers are not the same. Is there only one source/person/programmer/program/standards for the firmware, software, configs, language, hardware..

Who makes them? I have heard - read, wii box and only recently realized it's not the same as the game 'wii' or some game, or is it? I know,idiot, right. I should know this stuff, ;[ not necessarily.

Anyway, they don't sound as stable as some have claimed, hence the question above.
Anyone know the answer/s to this?

Which one do 'I' buy? Who makes the best and most stable controller and software?

I think even the latest cpuminer for LTC is still a bit buggy, perhaps fifo drivers and settings?
I also think that someone needs to come out with a FULL DUPLEX UART that doesn't cause bottlenecks with these high speed networked UARTS all flowing out to one receive buffer in a 10 port hub...what were they thinking? Well, most peripherals today, the usb ones, don't all work and run at the same time...Our miners do!

Port speed isn't really the issue here, it's the ABILITY of a given UART chip (one in this case) to decipher and decide where to send ALL that traffic (aaaahhhhhh) at once....blockages are occurring at this point aka bottleneck in the pipe. Gets jammed up, does a buffer overflow dump, there goes all that data (POOF) , the system spits dummy - DOH! - and hangs.

The readout in the DOS window is only showing new work requests 'Dispatching new work to GC3355 LTC Core. That's as far as the downloaded data gets though, nothing is going out to the miner. Dispatches are not reaching the dispatch-ee! So it has nothing to do, so it doesn't report back. The receive buffer works fine because there are multiple receive buffers in a USB hub, but only ONE transmit buffer!....>DUMB!

One final point I almost forgot to make, speed is good but not at the expense of stability! We all want stable performance. Even though it isn't the fastest we can hash, it's still a superior solution because it gives long term results with few, if any, interruptions. Set it and forget it. It's stable and where needed, various redundancies can be built in on the support end of the game. That's the stability and reliability we're shooting for! Profits! Not chronic problems!

Well,that's my 55c!
Peace!
Wolfey2014
I figured it out I got a power supply with more AMP's hooked it up and its now mining Smiley

Well, maybe you figured it out 'in your case' as it is possible to under power the USB devices, especially with tiny 500mA wall warts.

By now, I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my GC3355 5 chip miners.
It's definitely a communications problem.

I'm using a 2.5A wall wart to power my hub and 5 miners and I know it's way overkill which is good! You want a bit if not a lot of overhead (more amps available than ever needed) to keep things stable. I mean the current draw from these miners is very peaky.

But, my system is having what I believe is a FIFO buffer problem.
The transmit buffer settings are too high for most 2.0 USB hub UART's because the hubs were not designed for constant 'network' traffic type data throughput. They are designed for and are stable managing 'intermittent' traffic. Not 'constant' traffic. So when running several to many miners via USB, the transmit buffers crap out. Something called Transmit Buffer Overflow/overload occurs, data packets are lost and you end up with your miners having new work dispatched to them but nothing comes back. They hang. DOH!

Most USB hubs come with several receive pipes/channels but only 1 - that is ONE transmit pipe / channel.
So when your computer transmits (sends) many 'new work' requests at nearly if not the same exact time, well - within nano seconds of each other - , they plug up (bottleneck) and crap out...give up and just stop working.

Unplugging each port separately - waiting for the PC to ack - then plugging them back in and waiting for an ack' (acknowledgement) usually cures the immediate problem. But after running a few hours, the problem happens again and you're back to square one. What to do? Is it the hub's fault or is it the transmit buffer setting is too high?
To change this setting to a slightly lower one, - COM port PROPERTIES / PORT SETTINGS / ADVANCED.
Make the change, click OK out of there, unplug and re-plug each port on your hub - one at a time to get it freshly recognized.

Evidently the UARTs on these GC3355 miners are set to auto-detect port speeds etc. so nothing to do there. They are defaulted to run at 115200 but can run as high as 6.25Mbps. Most 2.0 hubs run at up to 480Mbps. 3.0 can run much higher speeds than that. But you don't need even 115200, evidently. I'm running mine at 38400 and they seem to flow data nicely.

If you want to picture what a FIFO buffer overflow looks like, its like backed up rush hour traffic. The road gets plugged up so no one can move, more and more cars pile up in the rear of the line, very few are moving forward at the front of that mess and some drivers just give up or get lost or have car problems etc. No forward movement! If people just slow down, spread out and put a few car lengths between each other, traffic would keep moving but at a much slower pace. This is what happens when you decrease the transmit buffer. SPREAD OUT! SLOW DOWN A LITTLE BIT and everyone will get to where they're going but just a few minutes (milliseconds in data speak) later.

Well, that's my theory right now and I'm trying out my fix. I'll let you know how it went in a few hours.
Failing that, I'll be in the market for a Ultra High Speed USB 3.0 hub. I don't need RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC ON MY COMPUTER! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Angry

As always, try this stuff at your own risk! You fugg it up, you eat it!
Peace!
Wolfey2014

Ok, so you have 20 miners, which require around 10W each (in scrypt only mode), so 200W on 12V line, which is 16A. Every powersupply should be capable of delivering that, especially if it has 4x pci-e connector.

If the cables have been made correct (there are three +12V lines in a sata connector, I don't know if it works when only 1 or 2 are connected), they should work. The same for molex. I have my miners running of a molex connector.

- There have been multiple cases in which the controller couldn't handle the full 20 miners
- The controllers have a tendency to not hash at all, if something is wrong with one of the miners

So, I would say you need to try each miner separately, at a frequency of 600 to start with, and check if they all work. Then you need to check with a known working miner whether all USB and power cables work. If everything works, try adding miners one at a time, and see when they stop working.

Except for 2 that are troublesome, they all hash seperately for a while. So, they appear to work. (No idea if there is another test)
If i connect them miner after miner, it will hash and speedup.. Until the controller reboots and it never really picks up after that.

It still also seems the USB hub is at fault: i get only one YAY when connected from Windows. Tried my W8.1 desktop and my wifes W7 laptop. Both hubs the same result.
I might buy a new hub thats tested.. Orico or the Sipolar that's shipped with it usually.

I'm getting a gridseed kit soon for a friend, i'll try those hubs and controllers..

Hopefully Jack releases the final firmware today as promised, i'm told the reboots are gone, hashing speeds higher and overall stability.

Even if it hashes at lower speed as advertised, i would be OK.. The reboots, i don't like. This really takes the profits down..

It sounds like testing the another hub/firmware could be a good start.

I noticed today that my controller is not displaying the hashrate (it says 0 khash/s), but it does register shares, and the pool also registers them. I hadn't had that before...
Activity: 436

legendary
legendary
this is very nice tutorial up there Smiley

So many nice photos Smiley a lot of work Wink

I hope many users will use it as a help to their problems.

Cheers

I'm glad you like it Smiley

I like it a lot! I don't have that kind of hardware but if I would have new one not yet connected I would use your tutorial for sure.

I hope you will get some bounty for that!
You should imo.

Kind regards!

Glad to hear that! I haven't received any bounty though, but there hasn't been a reply from the TS either.

For everyone who wants to mine scrypt only on windows, there is a new compiled version of the cpuminer here, which should dramatically reduce the power usage in scrypt mode. I haven't verified it myself yet though.

Hi,

I tried my USB hub connected miners on Windows 8.1.. None of them EVER says or call out "YAY".. Is this driver related? Or does the USB hub not work correctly?
I don't think ALL my miners are broken..

Whick hub is tested OK? I have seen the Orico and the Sipolar X-300 shipped with the set, any others?

Thanks,

Andre

I hooked up 1 directly to my PC powered off a basic 12V 1.5AMp transformer to test I get the CPU miner saying dispatching new work to GC3355 LTC core but never see YAY. Om the unit I have green light only blinking and the fan is running. Any ideas?
So what steps go wrong? Cpuminer tries to send work to the miners?

Yes, the work gets sent.. And that's it..
But, i might be onto something: as i told, i'm using an ATX PSU to power the miners, 20 of them..
It's an old PSU i had laying around, with 4 6 pin PCIE plugs, a few SATA and molex connectors.
I have aquired adapter cables from PCIE to 3x miner plug each, so 12 are powered directly by PCIE.
For the others i had an extra cable while i wait for a new PSU, from SATA to PCIE, i also have a molex PCIE if needed.

I only tested 1 miner directly from PCIE.. That one gets "YAY", the ones on SATA don't..
Is the power insufficiant? The miners do get power, because they run as expected.. (LEDs, fans are on)

Just tried the miners connected to PCIE directly: through the USB hub ONLY 1 hashes.. I'll reboot and test again, but it looks like the SATA and MOLEX are underpowered, but the USB hub seems to be no good either..

Sad..

Hopefully LightningAsic releases the new controller FW today (i was told it's ready), that does seem to hash a bit at least.. Speed not that great, but most units do SOMETHING for a while..

donator
It's for the children!
Is it easy to use the controllers over the regular computer set up? I've yet to find instructions on how to set up mining using the controller

hmm, well, lookie here! > https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guide-gridseed-gc3355-5-chip-setuppowerwindowslinuxrpi-by-unicornhasher-494625
you need to follow more threads Wink
Wolfey2014

haha yah to bad all this info is separated into many different threads, makes of a very inefficient use of time scanning many threads... and then actually trying to implement what you read is even more time consuming lol but sorta fun kinda

Is there something missing from my thread?

I'll add whatever info you have that isn't addressed.

Yes, the work gets sent.. And that's it..
But, i might be onto something: as i told, i'm using an ATX PSU to power the miners, 20 of them..
It's an old PSU i had laying around, with 4 6 pin PCIE plugs, a few SATA and molex connectors.
I have aquired adapter cables from PCIE to 3x miner plug each, so 12 are powered directly by PCIE.
For the others i had an extra cable while i wait for a new PSU, from SATA to PCIE, i also have a molex PCIE if needed.

I only tested 1 miner directly from PCIE.. That one gets "YAY", the ones on SATA don't..
Is the power insufficiant? The miners do get power, because they run as expected.. (LEDs, fans are on)

Just tried the miners connected to PCIE directly: through the USB hub ONLY 1 hashes.. I'll reboot and test again, but it looks like the SATA and MOLEX are underpowered, but the USB hub seems to be no good either..

Sad..

Hopefully LightningAsic releases the new controller FW today (i was told it's ready), that does seem to hash a bit at least.. Speed not that great, but most units do SOMETHING for a while..

Cheers

I like it a lot! I don't have that kind of hardware but if I would have new one not yet connected I would use your tutorial for sure.

You should imo.

Kind regards!

Glad to hear that! I haven't received any bounty though, but there hasn't been a reply from the TS either.

For everyone who wants to mine scrypt only on windows, there is a new compiled version of the cpuminer here, which should dramatically reduce the power usage in scrypt mode. I haven't verified it myself yet though.

Hi,

I tried my USB hub connected miners on Windows 8.1.. None of them EVER says or call out "YAY".. Is this driver related? Or does the USB hub not work correctly?

Whick hub is tested OK? I have seen the Orico and the Sipolar X-300 shipped with the set, any others?

Thanks,

Andre

Is it a powered hub? Otherwise it probably will not work.

Also, did you maybe forget to power the miners? I did that once... I forgot to plug in the miners power supply, they responded fine on cpuminer commands, they just didn't start hashing :p

It's powered, 5V, 3.5A, Delock USB 2.0 External Hub 10 Port, p/n 87468.
The miners are powered by an ATX PSU. I just flip the switch and the miners, controllers, USB hubs are powered.

Cheers

You should imo.

Kind regards!

Hi,

Thanks,

Andre

Is it a powered hub? Otherwise it probably will not work.

Also, did you maybe forget to power the miners? I did that once... I forgot to plug in the miners power supply, they responded fine on cpuminer commands, they just didn't start hashing :p

Cheers

You should imo.

Kind regards!

Hi,

Thanks,

Andre
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

Cheers

You should imo.

Kind regards!

good to know. I will test it maybe later Smiley

thanks for a link!

Cheers!
Activity: 97
Is it easy to use the controllers over the regular computer set up? I've yet to find instructions on how to set up mining using the controller

hmm, well, lookie here! > https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guide-gridseed-gc3355-5-chip-setuppowerwindowslinuxrpi-by-unicornhasher-494625
Wolfey2014

haha yah to bad all this info is separated into many different threads, makes of a very inefficient use of time scanning many threads... and then actually trying to implement what you read is even more time consuming lol but sorta fun kinda
Great work! Thank you for your efforts and presentation of the How To Guide.
Yours will also get newbs up and running so, don't fret!
You're admired and respected too! Wink
Wolfey2014

Pea Ess, the guy who won't the .1btc bounty hasn't said what the green and red LED's mean Wink
I still want to know!
hint hint....
Have you seen the latest release of cpuminer?
http://cryptomining-blog.com/1165-download-cpuminer-for-gridseed-5-chip-gc3355-asics-with-reduced-power-usage/
It turns off the SHA hashers thereby allowing them to run Ltc only at very low power consumption...less than 7W each. Smiley
I'm overclocking mine right now with the new pgm and they're all hashing away at over 300KH/s.
Even as high as 426KH/s,.... latency is still very low so, this might be the pods sweet spot.
850MHz and running cool as cucumbers! Nice!
I'm buying 10 more miners! Wink
Happy hashing!

Wolfey2014
Activity: 97

Cheers

You should imo.

Kind regards!

Whats your btc address? Anyone disagree that i should give him thebounty? Thanks. Smiley.

I already posted it in the guide, 1Mg2RRE1Xf35tt5pErFtJSWEumFd5DwNrw Thanks if you decide to give me the bounty!

Cheers

You should imo.

Kind regards!

Whats your btc address? Anyone disagree that i should give him thebounty? Thanks. Smiley.

Cheers

You should imo.

Kind regards!

legendary

Cheers

You should imo.

Kind regards!

Cheers

legendary

Cheers
donator
It's for the children!
Please post a guide with screenshots on how to install and run a 5 chip gridseed unit.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guide-gridseed-gc3355-5-chip-setuppowerwindowslinuxrpi-by-unicornhasher-494625
Activity: 490
I'll do this after work, even if I don't get the bounty. Always happy to help
legendary
Activity: 438
Ok, this is my try to a guide. I hope it contains everything you need. Please let me know if something is missing.

I based this guide on windows, for linux please try to find resources somewhere else. I do not have a linux pc available to try and make a guide for linux.

If you think the guide is good enough for the bounty, please send to 1Mg2RRE1Xf35tt5pErFtJSWEumFd5DwNrw Smiley

1 -Get your supplied power cord:

2 -Get your Leatherman (seriously, everyone should have one), if you don't have a Leatherman, scissors or a wire cutter will work as well Wink:

Just cut it! Make sure to cut the power supply end, not the end that should go into your power socket...

3 -Now strip the cut end. There should be three wires in there. EU power cables have a yellow/green wire, a blue wire and a brown wire. US power cables have a lighter blue, a grey and a black wire. Make sure to connect them to the power supply in the order I just told you. Like this:

EU:

US:

(stole this image from one of the other threads)

Don't forget to tighten the screws...

4 -Get the power cable for your miner (with the round end):

5a -You are lucky, the end is already cut and stripped! Just connect them to the power supply. Red is positive, white is negative. The left three connectors on the supplied power supply are positive, the middle three negative. You can combine each positive with each negative connector, that doesn't matter. Just try to spread the attached miners a bit over the connectors (so don't put 10 miners on the same connector).

Again, don't forget to tighten the screws...

5b -This is an alternative, for when you don't have the supplied power supply (or it broke down). You can just connect a molex connector! Make sure to connect the red wire to the yellow wire on the molex cable (+12V), and the white wire to one of the black wires on the molex cable:

6 -Now, get your miner:

See the two holes? The left one is for the power cable (either from the power supply, or from a molex connector). The right one is the USB connector.

7 -Plug in the power connector:

Wait! Do not plug in the USB cable yet! You need to install the driver first!

8 -Install the driver. You can download it directly from lightningasic here, or the alternative download locations here, or here. After downloading, extract the file. If you can't extract the file, download and install winrar, and try again after you have installed that.

Install the driver (double click the .exe). Just click next in all the windows, until you can click 'finish'. Somehow the setup_x64 version did not work for me, even though I am on a 64bit windows. So if the device does not get recognized in the next step, please try to install the other setup.exe.

9 -You are getting closer! You should have a power supply now, with a power cord connected. You should also have a power cord running from the power supply to your miner. You can now plug in the USB into your miner:

Plug the other end in your computer. Make sure the USB port of your computer has enough power (if your computer does not recognize a new device, the port probably does not have enough power). I also had a problem with USB3 ports, so you should try to use a USB2 port.

10 -Make sure you have the correct voltage selected on your power supply, and if so, plug it in:

Don't forget this step, or you might blow up your power supply. After plugging the power supply into the wall socket, the fan of your miner should start spinning. If it doesn't, check all the connections (please always pull the power cord from the wall socket before doing anything).

11 -Download the modified CPUminer from here or here. Extract
the archive anywhere you want.

[edit 02-03-2014] There is a new modified CPUminer here, which should solve the power usage issues in scrypt mode. I have not verified this miner to be working yet, but wanted to share it!

12 -Check the com port. To connect to your miner, you need to know what comport is assigned to your miner. You can do this by pressing the windows key + the R key. So 'Windows + R'. This should give you a small window called 'run'. (Sorry, I am Dutch, so screenshots are in Dutch)

Enter 'compmgmt.msc' in the window, and hit the enter key. This should open a new window, called 'computermanagement'.

Click 'Devicemanager'

Now click the small arrow in front of 'Ports (COM & LPT)'

Now you can see that in my case it says 'STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port (COM7)'. This means that my miner is now assigned to COM port 7. Some people have experienced problems with miners which had COM port numbers above 10, if you have a number above 10, go to step 13, otherwise go to step 14.

13 -Changing the COM port number. This step is only necessary if your automatically assigned COM port number is 10 or higher!. Like this:

In the devicemanger, right click on the 'STMicroelectronics Virtual COM port (COMXX)', which has a COM port number above 10. Select 'properties'. This will open a new window, go to the 'portsettings' tab in that window.

Now, click 'advanced'. This will open another window, in which you can select which COM port to use. Select one that is not in use, and click 'ok' after you are finished.

Also click 'ok' in the properties window. Make sure the COM port now has the number you selected:

If all is correct, you can close the computermanagement window.

14 -Now you know your COM port number. You can setup your miner now! Download this bat file, and save it in the folder where you extracted the miner in step 11. Make sure the bat file is in the same folder as the 'minerd.exe' program.

15 -Edit the bat file. Right click on the bat file, and select 'edit'. This should open this window:

Change the 'XXX' of the COM port to the number you found in step 12. Make sure to change the '--url=' to the url of the pool you want to mine at. Also change the '--userpass=' to the workername and password of your pool (format is workername:password). If you don't change this, you will mine for my account, which I don't mind either of course  Grin

Save the file.

16 -Mine away! Just double click the bat file. It should start a small window, and your miner will start mining. If you have more than one miner, just make a copy of the bat file, change the COM port number, and start that one as well. You need one cpuminer window per miner.

As soon as you start seeing 'yay!!!' you know that your miner is working properly. This version of cpuminer is not able to show the hashrate, so your hashrate will always show '0.00 khash/s', even though it is mining.

I think this guide should be able to get you mining. Good luck!

Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Owner, Minersource.net
Ill chip in .1btc for this.
I'm definitely interested in this guide.
I've only used KnC Jupiters (this is what I STARTED mining with) and it was quite a jump.

GridSeeds seem a bit more complex.
I will throw some satoshis into the pot provided the guide has a lot of images and is very clear about wiring the power supply etc

Depends where you are location the colors are different for US and EU:

US: http://imgur.com/Ztavufz

EU: http://imgur.com/pdRso1H.jpg

These pics come from 2 support threads that are running here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=477709.0;all
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=482352.0;all

They contain a lot of info. you will need to cut the cables the power cables for the PSU, the miners have their own connector which to plugin in the PSU. I did it with the EU image.

rgdz,
bhai

Thanks but this isn't what is being requested.
"Please post a guide with screenshots on how to install and run a 5 chip gridseed unit."
This is what's needed and wanted, not links to other pages or sites.
Can you POST a guide, or not?

It isn't that hard actually to get them running...

He is just trying to help, so you could also be a little bit nicer to him  Roll Eyes

Did you want a guide based on the controller supplied by lightningasic, or on connecting them to a computer?

No justification or defense required. Just duplication. and compliance with the request .... ;/
legendary
 so those are clear how to safely power the 5 chip unit and how to get the supplied  usb cord to fit. 

so clear download and program instructions are wanted.

no controller just a windows 7 pc  64 bit.  I want to mine with my wemineltc.com account
legendary
  these next photos show the stock usb plug

shaved the usb plug. it now fits.

I took off 1/16 of an inch or 1.5mm

legendary
I will throw some satoshis into the pot provided the guide has a lot of images and is very clear about wiring the power supply etc

They contain a lot of info. you will need to cut the cables the power cables for the PSU, the miners have their own connector which to plugin in the PSU. I did it with the EU image.

rgdz,
bhai

"Please post a guide with screenshots on how to install and run a 5 chip gridseed unit."

He is just trying to help, so you could also be a little bit nicer to him  Roll Eyes

Did you want a guide based on the controller supplied by lightningasic, or on connecting them to a computer?

He is like me he does not have a controller.  Wiring them is easy. I had some simple photos for a usa setup.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5362042

I just want to A) have a clear set of software set up for no controller.  I have no patience to setup the software.

I spent so much time doing:
 red furies
 antminer s-1
antminer u-1
litecoin mining setup.

source for pigtails

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/82-12675

when correctly wired these light up blue

I believe this could do 4 -6.  I have 1 it is doing the one 5 chip unit I have along with a 10 port hub for some ice fury usb stick. I have four blue dc plugs attached 2 in use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7CWSCG/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this should run one  5 chip unit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VE7GQQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Okay some photos

okay pretty plugs when wired correct = blue  wire wrong= red

blue = cool
red = dead

[/quote]
legendary

rgdz,
bhai

I must say Wink that they did not said anything wrong to him :-) and indeed he mentioned about pretty important things to remember.

rgdz,
bhai

rgdz,
bhai

Activity: 93

rgdz,
bhai
Activity: 697
Merit: 503

I dont have one but I will try to figure it out somehow :-)

Kind regards:-)

I have 5 powered up and ready to mine.
Care to try to help me figure it out?
I'm buying Wink
wolfey2014
legendary

I dont have one but I will try to figure it out somehow :-)

Kind regards:-)

Bounty sent and claimed Smiley

Feel free to order from us at www.zoomhash.com

We are the Batman of Asics as claimed by a fellow forum user:

wow. you posted and 10 minute later two people ordered, payed , and got their order shipped home already ?  

god damn thats one speedy delivery

Well, look at the dude's ratings on ebay. He is some kind of Batman of hashes. I would be comfortable  doing his Batch 3 with bitcoins, after I get my first one delivered ofc. Zoomhash, when will you have BTC payment option integrated? I will buy 10-pack then.

Jump to: