Author

Topic: 0.88 not finding bitcoin-qt.exe no matter what. (Read 978 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
Will do shortly sir.  I was reluctant to uninstall the BTC client for 2 reasons.  Both due to ignorance.  One I didn't want to have to download the blockchain again, of course.  Two I was not sure if I could opt to not use the default install location with the Armory install option.  I do not want it on my root drive for multiple reasons.

Quick side question maybe someone can answer.  Is there anyway to move the blockchain data from its default location of the users directory?

You can move your Bitcoin home directory anywhere you want, just make sure you start Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind with the -datadir=PATH option to make sure it's pointing in the right place.  If you're letting Armory manage it for you, go into the settings and put the new path into the second box "Bitcoin-Qt home directory".  Armory will start bitcoind with the -datadir option for you, and then set itself to look there, too.

Reinstalling Bitcoin-Qt or Armory will not cause any issues.  These programs are designed to touch only C:\Program Files\ on installation/removal, and only touch C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ when running (which is where the blockchain data and wallets are stored).  I need to make it more clear to users that their wallets will remain untouched.  Upgrading/reinstalling, literally just changes the code that is running.

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
OK upgraded to new 88 version on a 64bit Win7 box. Got the alert that my bitcoin client was running and I should shut it down.  I did this hit the retry button, no joy.  I figured out I needed to manually point it to where I installed the BTC client.  I did that as I have don't have it on the root drive.  Left the working dir path blank as it seemed correct.  Still no joy.

I then filled out the working path since this is also not truly on the root drive but linked to another drive.  Still no luck.  I then had to set it back to the old method and restart Armory and we were rolling again.

Just thought you should know.  i am not much more help than this but will do what I can to help figure this out if it wasn't just me doing something wrong.

As always: can you try it again and then send me a log file?

Will do shortly sir.  I was reluctant to uninstall the BTC client for 2 reasons.  Both due to ignorance.  One I didn't want to have to download the blockchain again, of course.  Two I was not sure if I could opt to not use the default install location with the Armory install option.  I do not want it on my root drive for multiple reasons.

Quick side question maybe someone can answer.  Is there anyway to move the blockchain data from its default location of the users directory?
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
OK upgraded to new 88 version on a 64bit Win7 box. Got the alert that my bitcoin client was running and I should shut it down.  I did this hit the retry button, no joy.  I figured out I needed to manually point it to where I installed the BTC client.  I did that as I have don't have it on the root drive.  Left the working dir path blank as it seemed correct.  Still no joy.

I then filled out the working path since this is also not truly on the root drive but linked to another drive.  Still no luck.  I then had to set it back to the old method and restart Armory and we were rolling again.

Just thought you should know.  i am not much more help than this but will do what I can to help figure this out if it wasn't just me doing something wrong.

As always: can you try it again and then send me a log file?
Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Reinstall bitcoin using the button in armory. 
Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Jump to: