Author

Topic: 1 BTC/month WebHosting (Read 6508 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 103
August 16, 2013, 09:48:27 AM
It appears your website was taken. Did you stopped offering the hosting service?
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054
June 28, 2011, 02:35:05 PM
Ok, I get it now. It seemed as if you were at risk of being shut down due to said content being put up in the first place.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
June 28, 2011, 02:27:59 PM
If my account gets terminated, then all of the hosting at 1btchost also gets terminated.
To be honest, I feel a bit uneasy being hosted on a service which can so easily be terminated.

Well, it will not happen because I will take down any content that is illegal in the uk - in order to protect my other clients, If my provider asks me to.
I will also not take any action without correspondence with the party's concerned.
So I warn that those who may be thinking of using the site for illegal purposes should look elsewhere to avoid disappointment.

In this case (which I shall not identify, as the site my remain up if my provider decides it is ok) somebody is really pushing, and has probably overstepped, the limits of what could be considered legal, and they clearly knew it before they designed the site.

There is no danger to those hosting legal content unless I refused to act on on the advice of my providers.
I will act on the legal advice of my providers in order to protect my customers.

That is what I am clarifying.
Any legal content is completely safe.

dM
donator
June 28, 2011, 02:12:21 PM
If my account gets terminated, then all of the hosting at 1btchost also gets terminated.
To be honest, I feel a bit uneasy being hosted on a service which can so easily be terminated.
June 28, 2011, 01:29:58 PM
One of my customers has hosted content that is borderline breaking the TOS of my providers, and may be illegal. They know what they are doing because they have a prominent message on the landing page advising visitors to use TOR.
It is currently being assessed by my providers. If it turns out that is is ok by them, then fine. I do not apply my values to the content I host.

I will just advise - as it says on the website, please do not host anything that my be considered illegal in the UK.

Of course - all customer data is kept safe by me, and most of my customers use untraceable e-mails anyway, but the bottom line is that 1btchost is to support the bitcoin community, not for hosting dodgy illegal stuff, and I will take down any content that may risk my account - to protect my other clients.

If you want to host stuff that would get taken off the internet, then that is what freenet is for. Look it up.

TOR and my hosting is not a substitute for freenet, and to use it as such is to put me in the firing line and hide behind TOR yourself. I do not feel great about being used in this way.

Hope this clarifies,

dM

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000
May 19, 2011, 11:53:54 AM
From my experience your host was quite good. Even if my project didn't took off and meanwhile SgtSpike already created something alike.
Still used it to develop a site to a friend and to show an example to another, on both cases FTP, MySQL and HTTP was very fast.

Maybe in a near future you can get other packages for another price... and maybe it should be paid yearly or so. So whether BTC goes up or down during that year, it's paid.
May 19, 2011, 11:42:56 AM
Hi,

Since bitcoins have been pretty volatile lately, I have changed the pricing of my 1 BTC Hosting package to donation based.

Details on the site here:

http://1btchost.com/

dM
Yeah, it was on my to-do list to ask you what are your plans for the present when "1 BTC/mo" is no longer impressively cheap. I totally get that the overhead of managing payments could be your most significant cost for this service. I hope you won't lose on this service.

Well, the initial outlay was not huge. You are correct - the main overhead is management.
I started the service mainly to provide reliable cheap hosting for the bitcoin community and get some real world experience of providing a service for bitcoins - both of which have been a success.

Whether I make a loss or not now depends on how happy my customers are with the service.
But even if I do make a loss it will not be a huge one so that is ok. I will keep the service running as long as I have hosting (the foreseeable future).

Smiley

dM
donator
May 19, 2011, 11:26:53 AM
Hi,

Since bitcoins have been pretty volatile lately, I have changed the pricing of my 1 BTC Hosting package to donation based.

dM
Yeah, it was on my to-do list to ask you what are your plans for the present when "1 BTC/mo" is no longer impressively cheap. I totally get that the overhead of managing payments could be your most significant cost for this service. I hope you won't lose on this service.
May 19, 2011, 09:38:36 AM
Hi,

dM
Activity: 3
March 03, 2011, 12:58:51 AM
PermaHOST is right behind initiatives like Bitcoin and is now accepting 100% payment in Bitcoin for Web Hosting service. PermaHOST has been operational for 5 years and have many happy customers. The affiliate program (20% referral commissions) is popular and pays out commissions on a monthly basis.

Servers are located at the second largest hosting facility in the world.

For more details please go to www.permahost.com

PermaHOST
An initiative of the
Permaworld Foundation
February 28, 2011, 02:58:45 AM
Hi,
A few people have signed up to the 1 BTC/month hosting! Some of them have even paid! Cool!
I welcome people signing up to see what features you get - especially if you write a review Wink  -  but please if you do this and decide you do not want the service then let me know so I can free up the resources.
 Cool
dM
Activity: 19
February 27, 2011, 09:30:35 AM
If you will provide SSH access for 1 BTC/month - it will be the best choice for me!

I'm offering (fairly constrained) ssh on barwen.ch:
http://www.barwen.ch/bitcoin.html
in exchange for bitcoin (with a verified paypal payment required for the first month)
February 26, 2011, 11:56:54 PM
The source of bitYacht has been sent to you.

My PHP includes are normally:

$abspath/...path.../file.php

where $abspath is set in config. Eg. /home/host/public_html
for the rest, this site doesn't even use CRONs, but the other will need. The interval will largely depend on how I'll code it.

Passwords and keys were blanked out, also mysql dump is just structure. You probably understand it.  Smiley

Thanks for being so up-front with your requirements.
As I see it  - the only way to know for sure is to try - I don't think there will be a problem.

There is other more expensive hosting, with nice sign-up pages and everything, that takes bitcoins that may be more suitable. At the moment I am not competing with them. If there is demand I may move into that market. Now I am just offering this very cheap service for people who just want what I offer.

If you decide you want to see how it goes just apply according to the instructions on the website linked here and I'll set it up.
dM
legendary
February 26, 2011, 06:18:58 PM
The source of bitYacht has been sent to you.

My PHP includes are normally:

$abspath/...path.../file.php

where $abspath is set in config. Eg. /home/host/public_html
for the rest, this site doesn't even use CRONs, but the other will need. The interval will largely depend on how I'll code it.

Passwords and keys were blanked out, also mysql dump is just structure. You probably understand it.  Smiley

February 26, 2011, 06:02:17 PM
Hi,

Can I be your second customer?
I'm currently hosting my site in a temporary co-location. Also would be nice to host it within the Bitcoin community taken it's a bitcoin directed site.
I'll have however "heavier requirements" on my next BTC oriented website, namely on email. It's neither to sent publicity (spam), newsletters, but may need to send a lot of emails, depends on the users taken it's an auction/selling system (not operating with that well-known GPLed on 2001 or so German software, but my own).
My current requirements: PHP 4.1+ 1DB MySQL 4+, not that much in space (< 10 Mb). This one you can check, my profile's signature, and decide whether you can host it or not. The next one is still under development.

Hi,

I like the look of your site,
I do not see a problem from what you have said, there might be an issue with processor usage, but then again there might not.
I really offer this service for basic websites, but I do include the features you need. It would probably be ok unless things got REALLY busy for you. Why not e-mail me an application and try it out. We can see how it goes.
dM

Just to be sure:
Here is a little bit from the TOS of my provider...

User may not:
a) Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc.
b) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons, such as IRCD.
c) Run any type of web spider or indexer (including Google Cash / AdSpy) on shared servers.
d) Run any software that interfaces with an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) network.
e) Run any bit torrent application, tracker, or client. Please note that you may link to torrents off server, but may not host or store them.
f) Participate in any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities
g) Run any gaming servers such as counter-strike, half-life, battlefield1942, etc
h) Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes
When using PHP include functions for including a local file, include the local file rather than the URL. Instead of include("http://yourdomain.com/include.php") use include("include.php")

<>
legendary
February 26, 2011, 05:48:19 PM
Hi,

Can I be your second customer?
I'm currently hosting my site in a temporary co-location. Also would be nice to host it within the Bitcoin community taken it's a bitcoin directed site.
I'll have however "heavier requirements" on my next BTC oriented website, namely on email. It's neither to sent publicity (spam), newsletters, but may need to send a lot of emails, depends on the users taken it's an auction/selling system (not operating with that well-known GPLed on 2001 or so German software, but my own).
My current requirements: PHP 4.1+ 1DB MySQL 4+, not that much in space (< 10 Mb). This one you can check, my profile's signature, and decide whether you can host it or not. The next one is still under development.
February 26, 2011, 05:17:24 PM
If you will provide SSH access for 1 BTC/month - it will be the best choice for me!
I got your e-mail.
I just set you an an account up before reading this post - so I didn't know you wanted ssh.
I am sorry but I don't want to add to the features on this package - I want to just provide practically free webhosting for BTC.
I may be able to offer a more custom package in the future, but for now I want to keep it simple and cheap.
Since you are my first customer, feel free to try out the hosting and let me know what you think anyway if you like.
I could do with a review.... and feedback if there are any issues.
I am willing to extend the features that I provide - eg more databases or bandwidth, or subdomains, etc if needed - but I don't want to actually add any features like at this time.
dM

LZ
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072
P2P Cryptocurrency
February 26, 2011, 04:13:02 PM
February 26, 2011, 01:10:20 AM
Hi,

The price has changed due to volatility of bitcoins.
I now offer a Donation based BTC / month package, Ideal for small sites, blogs, forums.

Details are here:

I want to keep this simple and reliable, however if it becomes popular then I may set up automated registration and so-on.

dM

Previously I offered bespoke web hosting for bitcoins in this thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/webhosting-available-in-uk-for-bitcoins-3821 I suggest going for the http://1btchost.com/ package now as it is a simpler setup, and it can be customised if desired.

Jump to: