Author

Topic: 1 year of accepting crypto payment in my fashion store (Read 731 times)

Activity: 966
Merit: 276
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
Im curios what dp you do on feees since there are probably huge fees when the network is congested especially your using Electrum as your wallet.

same thought as i am sure that there would be a lot of buyers or customers not willing to pay in bitcoin due to its high fees… i know i wouldn’t buy a product with even a 5% additional fee plus not to mention it’s not exactly fast to make a transaction

maybe if i were buying something i wouldn’t want anyone to know then i would only be accepting of fees but anyway it has been a couple years since op posted so i guess it’s working somehow

Same as the last time I went to an island where there are restaurants that accept bitcoin payment as mode of payment for their services that are offered but I have not seen anyone pay bitcoin payment because of the high transaction fee and it is quite slow the signal on that island is also so the payment is not processed properly and even though I have bitcoin to pay, I didn't try it because the transaction fee is high, the amount of the fee could buy me a simple meal so I chose to pay instead
Activity: 1974
Merit: 174
Im curios what dp you do on feees since there are probably huge fees when the network is congested especially your using Electrum as your wallet.

same thought as i am sure that there would be a lot of buyers or customers not willing to pay in bitcoin due to its high fees… i know i wouldn’t buy a product with even a 5% additional fee plus not to mention it’s not exactly fast to make a transaction

maybe if i were buying something i wouldn’t want anyone to know then i would only be accepting of fees but anyway it has been a couple years since op posted so i guess it’s working somehow
Activity: 1442
Merit: 390
I think you should convert it to fiat immediately because when you go to restock, you will have to pay in your local currency. If you decide to leave the money as Bitcoin then in volatile times like this, you can think of it as an investment. Hopefully Bitcoin will be accepted by many people and its volatility and transaction fees reduce as well so people can actually hold their money in BTC without worrying if their gain has been tampered.
Exactly, I think that bitcoin isn't as good as a way to be part of your revenue because of it's volatility so it's not a good thing to save that bitcoin especially when you're running a business and from what I've heard, it's really hard to run one because you're going to think up of all the costs that you're business will have to sustain, there's upkeep cost, restocking, salary for the workers and upgrading the business and I don't think that bitcoin is up for that business sustain. I'm just talking about what I think works but it seems that you're doing just fine though so I guess you can keep doing that but do be careful as bitcoin's more suited as a means of investment rather than a currency.
Activity: 1596
Merit: 419
Cashback 15%
I'm curious about what do you do on fees since there are probably huge fees when the network is congested especially if you are using Electrum as your wallet. Even though you used other options or networks it would still could probably .5 cents of fees but it is still a fee that the customer needs to pay, I mean if you are going to ask me if not willing to pay that fees so that I could buy something using Bitcoin, Personally I would just use what is convenient to me which is fiat money that is obviously going to be much easier, I mean if something is not convenient enough to someone there was no point on using the other one unless it is convenient when it comes to you.

Just like what I mentioned in the past I think the Bitcoin is still not ready to be used as a payment method just because of the volatility of the market price if you are going to integrate it into your business that is going to take a lot of cash on your business, on your business you need to have cash flow on course if a lot of people buy using Bitcoin you can't just sell that Bitcoin for sure at any time you like because it can be a bad timing or probably the market price just drop. Its just like you are continuously investing on Bitcoin everytime someone pays using Bitcoin your investing on it already, so it's still not perfect, where something like an E-wallet could easily do, like fast transactions, it might take some time for the transactions to get confirmed in the network or worse could get stuck as well. If on bad timing your transaction could get stuck on the network probably would take days if you are unlucky, that could also be a thing because transactions might get canceled or get stuck for a very long time.
Activity: 2254
Merit: 309
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
Wow its so amazing with OP fashion store have been accepted bitcoin as payment method more than one year, indirectly you the OP promoting or advertising with bitcoin to the public indeed with his business as fashion store. I want to know are your country bitcoin have adopted as legal currency transaction or not? I have the same ideas with my business selling furniture and want to adopt bitcoin as payment currency but scared with bitcoin still not legal payment method and could violate the law with potential get under arrest.
I am so excited if OP can share his fashion store progress after accepting bitcoin as payment transaction and how many transaction from costumer using bitcoin as payment method of keep still dominance with fiat. Could be rule models for any one have business and interested for accepting  bitcoin as payment transaction and allow what the OP way from training his the staff, choose the right and common wallet with the costumer until active promotion and advertising.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 280
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
Challenges

The only down side I have experienced is the price volatility of Bitcoin. This has a huge effect on the business, because you need cash to run the business. Do you convert to fiat immediately or do you hodl the crypto payments you receive? If you choose the latter, how do you keep record of your actual profits? For me, I save my money in USD because of the unstableness of the naira. Accepting crypto payments has been of great benefit to me, crypto doesn't have an off-day like the banks do not work on weekends and the network on weekends are usually terrible, crypto payments saves me the bank trouble.

I think you should convert it to fiat immediately because when you go to restock, you will have to pay in your local currency. If you decide to leave the money as Bitcoin then in volatile times like this, you can think of it as an investment. Hopefully Bitcoin will be accepted by many people and its volatility and transaction fees reduce as well so people can actually hold their money in BTC without worrying if their gain has been tampered.
Activity: 994
Merit: 137

Bitcoin, as well as crypto is already a globally accepted means of payment for goods and services, it is you the customer who decides to want to pay in bitcoin or any other well known crypto currency.

Some weeks ago, I walked into a restaurant to have launch since I was very far from home, it was a local restaurant since I didn't have so much money on me, and wanted a place where food price will be a bit cheaper.
I told them what I wanted and they served me, after eating and was going to pay, there was no sign in the restaurant that they accepts crypto payments, but I just felt in my spirit to tell them I wanted to pay in bitcoin, I did and amazingly, the cashier with smiles on her face made a bitcoin address and a barcode available to me, I scanned the barcode and sent the amount to them, the only condition was that, I will wait until the transaction gained atleast 2 network confirmation before I leave, I waited and luckily, bitcoin network wasnt congested, 2 network confirmation arrived in less than 20 minutes and I left.

So, what I am saying in essence is that, some business know and are willing to accept crypto payment, but won't let the customers know that such payment option is available, they only oblige to accept it when the customer requests to pay through such means.
So, when next you visit any store, unashamedly ask them if they accept crypto payment, even if there is no crypto or bitcoin accepts sign there.
I would like to have customers like you who are willingly to pay for services with Bitcoin. The problem I’m facing with Bitcoin payments is not that customers are ignorant of Bitcoin, it’s the opposite, most of them have heard of Bitcoin and some of them hodl Bitcoin and other cryptos. The problem is getting them to use Bitcoin as payment, Nigerians have a very strong hodl mentality.

That's interesting.  Seems backwards from usual – most folks I meet never heard of Bitcoin or get skittish about the whole thing and  you think on any ways to smooth those worries so Bitcoin looks better to your buyers? Maybe throw them a discount or some other cherry on top for goin crypto. 

I dunno.  Just ideas.
Activity: 504
Merit: 283

I would like to have customers like you who are willingly to pay for services with Bitcoin. The problem I’m facing with Bitcoin payments is not that customers are ignorant of Bitcoin, it’s the opposite, most of them have heard of Bitcoin and some of them hodl Bitcoin and other cryptos. The problem is getting them to use Bitcoin as payment, Nigerians have a very strong hodl mentality.
Normally Bitcoin maximalists are reluctant to spend their Bitcoin. But I can see that you have a unique situation. Do you ever try to convince your clients when they are reluctant to make payments in Bitcoin? Has this in anyway affected your business like indirectly or in some way ?
Maybe you could try this, since your clients have a strong hold mentality, you could convince them to spend their Bitcoin on your business when the price is high. Like pay for a fashion item during a bull market.
Merit: 545

Bitcoin, as well as crypto is already a globally accepted means of payment for goods and services, it is you the customer who decides to want to pay in bitcoin or any other well known crypto currency.

Some weeks ago, I walked into a restaurant to have launch since I was very far from home, it was a local restaurant since I didn't have so much money on me, and wanted a place where food price will be a bit cheaper.
I told them what I wanted and they served me, after eating and was going to pay, there was no sign in the restaurant that they accepts crypto payments, but I just felt in my spirit to tell them I wanted to pay in bitcoin, I did and amazingly, the cashier with smiles on her face made a bitcoin address and a barcode available to me, I scanned the barcode and sent the amount to them, the only condition was that, I will wait until the transaction gained atleast 2 network confirmation before I leave, I waited and luckily, bitcoin network wasnt congested, 2 network confirmation arrived in less than 20 minutes and I left.

So, what I am saying in essence is that, some business know and are willing to accept crypto payment, but won't let the customers know that such payment option is available, they only oblige to accept it when the customer requests to pay through such means.
So, when next you visit any store, unashamedly ask them if they accept crypto payment, even if there is no crypto or bitcoin accepts sign there.
Activity: 2338
Merit: 191
~snip~
The only down side I have experienced is the price volatility of Bitcoin. This has a huge effect on the business, because you need cash to run the business. Do you convert to fiat immediately or do you hodl the crypto payments you receive? If you choose the latter, how do you keep record of your actual profits? For me, I save my money in USD because of the unstableness of the naira. Accepting crypto payments has been of great benefit to me, crypto doesn't have an off-day like the banks do not work on weekends and the network on weekends are usually terrible, crypto payments saves me the bank trouble.

Advice

You don't have to know everything to begin, just start. When I started, I used electrum wallet to receive payments. Then I got to know about lightning network, which I adopted. I have recently become acquainted with a crypto exchange in Nigeria. I'm considering a deal to create a merchant account with them as a payment gateway.

Price volatility is the risk we should always consider when we are dealing with crypto currency.
It could be good or bad on our business, we could earn more or loss some of our earnings.
We should also consider the transaction fee cost for our customers.
But great job to you OP on having a huge success, it has been a year and you are still keeping it up.
This is why when you consider having bitcoin in your business better that you have extra
capital if ever the price go sideways because surely you will end up losing your capital to sustain
your business in daily basis as we also knew that volatility may change every single second .
maybe OP have a complete back up before he started this crypto adoption in here business.
Activity: 67
Merit: 0
It's a year since I started accepting crypto as payment . I will show you how I operate and also how you can accept crypto payments as a small business owner. I run a fashion store, we make African prints, suits, shirts and trousers. This is a popular business in Nigeria, I needed a edge in the market to better my competitors. A greater percentage of my customers are within the age of 20 - 47, this category are people who are tech savvy and open-minded. Nigeria is one of the biggest markets for Bitcoin. This survey led me to make the decision of accepting Bitcoin payments in my business to serve the increasing number of crypto-paying customers.  I recently made a catalog of Bitcoin wears available for preorders https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.60641685. It's been a one hell of a journey and I would like to share with y'all.

How to Get Started

Step 1

Choose a good wallet
Use a wallet you're familiar with. Do not be experimental with wallets, use a highly secured wallet and keep your keys close to your heart.

Step 2

Training my staff

Keeping in mind I can't be everywhere at once, my staff needed to have basic knowledge about crypto. So they can offer assistance to  customers when they need it and also show the newbies how to buy Bitcoin and make payment. Quality customer service is important, you don't want your staff to look confused on the job. That’s poor customer service.  Bitcoin transactions are irreversible, you can't afford to make mistakes.

Step 3

Advertising & Promotions

Getting word out that you now accept crypto payment is important. I rebranded my shopping bags to include crypto images. Also I had a the billboard in front replaced with an new one that says we accept crypto.   Discounts on certain items were given to encourage more customers to use crypto as payment. When a customer buys goods worth more than $100 worth of Bitcoin, they are given a free voucher to shop $10 free.

A typical crypto transaction at my store look like this:

1.The cashier gives the customers a Bitcoin QR code to make payment

2. The QR code is customized to tell customer’s crypto wallet where to send the bitcoins and how much to send.

3. The Bitcoin payment is confirmed by the cashier.

Challenges

Advice

You don't have to know everything to begin, just start. When I started, I used electrum wallet to receive payments. Then I got to know about lightning network, which I adopted. I have recently become acquainted with a crypto exchange in Nigeria. I'm considering a deal to create a merchant account with them as a payment gateway.

This is really nice and the strategy is perfect especially for Nigeria market. I could remember how crypto was of great help during covid 19 when banks where no where to be found. The majority of the youth are also keeping their funds in crypto due to some unscrupulous police officers and sars who try to take advantage of them when they collect their phones and drain their accounts. Though we are still a little behind in terms of technology, I travelled to Thailand few weeks ago and i was able to use my Bitget card on the Bitcoin ATM. Hopefully we can get to this point where crypto ATM will be available but i doubt if our government will allow that.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 134
~snip~

Advice

Price volatility is the risk we should always consider when we are dealing with crypto currency.
It could be good or bad on our business, we could earn more or loss some of our earnings.
But great job to you OP on having a huge success, it has been a year and you are still keeping it up.
True, and also not just the volatility of the bitcoin market; we, or a business owner, should also consider the transaction fee. Yeah, accepting crypto currency or bitcoin payments to your business could add to its popularity and target customers because you are giving them an additional option for paying in your business, but the thing is, how about the transaction fees? As we know from recent months, the transaction fees for sending assets or crypto currency from one wallet to another are too expensive. The transaction fees sometimes surge too much, which results in transactions being held as they can't take the expensive transaction fees. Yes, we have a light network, but the thing is, it is not worth it to open a light network for a one-time transaction with a specific crypto wallet or address. But yeah, it would be great if more businesses would accept crypto payments because it means that slowly many establishments will adopt crypto currency.
Activity: 1960
Merit: 501
~snip~

Advice

legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049
Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform
That's really amazing. In fact, we can say that you are one of those people who is helping in making crypto adopted globally.
As time goes, we can see that every year there are some people who is promoting the usage of crypto as a payment.
If this keeps growing every year we can surely achieve the milestone of making crypto as a globally accepted payment method.

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
It's a year since I started accepting crypto as payment . I will show you how I operate and also how you can accept crypto payments as a small business owner. I run a fashion store, we make African prints, suits, shirts and trousers. This is a popular business in Nigeria, I needed a edge in the market to better my competitors. A greater percentage of my customers are within the age of 20 - 47, this category are people who are tech savvy and open-minded. Nigeria is one of the biggest markets for Bitcoin. This survey led me to make the decision of accepting Bitcoin payments in my business to serve the increasing number of crypto-paying customers.  I recently made a catalog of Bitcoin wears available for preorders https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.60641685. It's been a one hell of a journey and I would like to share with y'all. I decided to start accepting payments in crypto after reading “what is eth payment method”, it inspired me and I decided to try it.

How to Get Started

Step 1

Choose a good wallet
Use a wallet you're familiar with. Do not be experimental with wallets, use a highly secured wallet and keep your keys close to your heart.

Step 2

Training my staff

Keeping in mind I can't be everywhere at once, my staff needed to have basic knowledge about crypto. So they can offer assistance to  customers when they need it and also show the newbies how to buy Bitcoin and make payment. Quality customer service is important, you don't want your staff to look confused on the job. That’s poor customer service.  Bitcoin transactions are irreversible, you can't afford to make mistakes.

Step 3

Advertising & Promotions

Getting word out that you now accept crypto payment is important. I rebranded my shopping bags to include crypto images. Also I had a the billboard in front replaced with an new one that says we accept crypto.   Discounts on certain items were given to encourage more customers to use crypto as payment. When a customer buys goods worth more than $100 worth of Bitcoin, they are given a free voucher to shop $10 free.

2. The QR code is customized to tell customer’s crypto wallet where to send the bitcoins and how much to send.

Challenges

Advice

Your approach is a testament to the adaptability and innovation that small business owners can demonstrate in today's ever-evolving market environment.

Your strategic decision to use cryptocurrency as a payment method aligns perfectly with the changing preferences of your target audience.

A step-by-step guide on how to start accepting cryptocurrency payments provides invaluable information for other entrepreneurs looking to follow in your footsteps. Choosing a secure wallet, training staff to assist customers with cryptocurrency transactions, and promoting your stance on cryptocurrencies through advertising and promotions are all important elements to ensuring a smooth transition to accepting digital currency.
Activity: 2646
Merit: 713
Nothing lasts forever
That's really amazing. In fact, we can say that you are one of those people who is helping in making crypto adopted globally.
As time goes, we can see that every year there are some people who is promoting the usage of crypto as a payment.
If this keeps growing every year we can surely achieve the milestone of making crypto as a globally accepted payment method.
Activity: 2212
Merit: 786
Advice

First and foremost, I want to congratulate you OP for your very inspiring journey! I also find it very amusing that most people from Africa have started adopting BTC as a form of alternative currency in payments of services and products. These types of ventures are what creates a positive image on the view of people on BTC.

In addition, it is actually great that you adopted lightning network to your process as it takes a relatively faster amount of time processing, unlike traditional exchanges. One thing that I struggle with is the amount of confirmation needed in order for payments to be processed in the blockchain. With this alternative, not only does it make it efficient, but it is actually more faster in receiving and sending payments.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 655
Bitcoin is achievement
Not everybody have the motivation to use a cryptocurrency especially Bitcoin as a means of payment in business. It's people who knows the productivity and the quality and values of cryptocurrency will introduce the methods system of payment of Bitcoin through a business. Op, i could remember vividly when you made your thread of introducing payment system of Bitcoin in your busines. I applaud you for your initiative of this 
Activity: 2254
Merit: 658
Revolutionized copy gaming platform
My dad is supposed to start a traditional milk tea business last early 2020 but everything came to a halt due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Although I am not passionate into traditional businesses, but I did had an idea of accepting Bitcoin as payment by scanning the QR code in which I have suggested it to my dad.

Now that we’re “kinda” moving on from COVID-19 since it’s not that “fatal” anymore, it’s just that my dad is having second thoughts of running it due to his health condition as well as my mom’s regressing dementia condition.

You have a great experience in accepting crypto payment in your fashion store. It helps spread the word about Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies.
Activity: 2702
Merit: 517
That 1 year of accepting Bitcoins isn't a trial anymore but I know that you already know if this becomes profitable and it works well, or not. But I'm sure this is not the only option you have and you still consider fiat transactions as the main option that is why you were still able to continue your business.

But if we have thought deeply and analyzed the market trend since last year as the market is bullish, I'm just thinking that you OP had lost some money from this. Well, if you just hold them and wait for the next ATH, that is actually a big profit for you then.
legendary
Merit: 1249
Really good to see that you are accepting btc as payment for your store and above that also training staff how to use the wallets and make transactions.Want to ask are there are any stores or shop in your locality doing the same like accepting btc or you are the one? I don't see many accepting it unless you are big store but small merchants also accepting it will surely boost the adoption and awareness about bitcoin globally.Hope you have more customers with you paying in bitcoin.

Yes indeed that sounds great, the OP said themselves that they wanted an edge over the
competitors and Bitcoin is that edge. and what is interesting is that they also mentioned that there
was "increasing number of crypto-paying customers"

This also means that the competitors and other business will consider offering Bitcoin payments
and so the usage and awareness increases. Its entrepreneurs like the OP who can aid in the adoption
and awareness of Bitcoin, Brave moves and big steps, Well done.
Activity: 1834
Merit: 166
Really good to see that you are accepting btc as payment for your store and above that also training staff how to use the wallets and make transactions.Want to ask are there are any stores or shop in your locality doing the same like accepting btc or you are the one? I don't see many accepting it unless you are big store but small merchants also accepting it will surely boost the adoption and awareness about bitcoin globally.Hope you have more customers with you paying in bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1228
Glad to hear the OP has adopted bitcoin as a means of payment for his business in the real world. I hope this business will grow and attract more people around you to use bitcoin as a means of payment.

In many cases, bitcoin adoption in small businesses is a matter of price volatility. I understand this as one of the challenges for adopters, but if they are willing to take the risk then obviously volatility won't be much of an issue especially if bitcoin converts to fiat or a stable coin soon. Yes of course it's about bitcoin, but I think you might as well accept stable coins as a means of payment in your business instead of just bitcoin.
Activity: 910
Merit: 290
A person who is a merchant and sells any number of products should be much smarter and make transactions in bitcoin, I think it would save many bills, having to depend on a bank, and also not have to give explanations to any bank, really People do not see the potential that this can have, if in Ecuador the economy is based on dollars, there are some sites that accept bitcoin, but they are for buying things like coffee and very small items, merchants still do not see the potential of bitcoin.
Activity: 854
Merit: 278
Bons.io Telegram Casino
Nice to see another live use of Bitcoin. Hope other sellers will be inspired by this. I think, shopping with BTC from almost every shop is not far. Some big US companies have already started accepting Bitcoin. Even some governments started holding BTC.
Activity: 1708
Merit: 126
Many businesses have accounts on exchanges and make customers pay directly to their account. 10 minutes later you can sell it at the exchange and avoid any volatility. Sure, the rate can change by 1%, but that's not a big deal, sometimes it will be 1% up, sometimes 1% down, but in the end, you'll do fine.

Holding your Bitcoin sales will surely affect your business earnings negatively, especially if the volatility of BTC is too high. Selling it right away will be the best thing to do so you won't be hit hard if the price strikes down. It isn't ideal to hold your Bitcoin payments if you still need the funds rotating as your business capital. However, it's a nice move that you're able to accept Bitcoin payments in your area. It will surely be beneficial to crypto users who want to purchase your product. I hope more businesses would do the same thing.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1335
Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com
Let's say an item cost #5000, and 0.0001 BTC is equivalent to #5000 based on the NGN/BTC exchange rate at that moment, if the customer decides to pay in Bitcoin, you can charge the customer 0.00013 BTC as payment, you will discover that most Bitcoin paying customers won't even ask or notice the extra charge, but if they notice and ask, you can just tell the customer that the extra charge is to cover the exchange and withdrawal fees

Are you telling him to lie to his customers and charge them more than the current exchange rate if they choose to pay in BTC?

Hidden fees and higher end price are the shortest way to making people avoid paying with cryptocurrencies.
legendary
Merit: 1049
Challenges

First, I would like to say a big congratulations to you for successfully accepting Bitcoin payments for your fashion business and also have not given up along the way.
It is important to note that nothing created by man is totally and completely perfect, they all have their pros and cons, and ones we should always go for are ones with more pros than cons.

I will offer a small tip to you that will maybe help reduce the effect of Bitcoin's price volatility on you and your business.
This is what I've noticed some big business do but they won't let the customers know about it.
Let's say an item cost #5000, and 0.0001 BTC is equivalent to #5000 based on the NGN/BTC exchange rate at that moment, if the customer decides to pay in Bitcoin, you can charge the customer 0.00013 BTC as payment, you will discover that most Bitcoin paying customers won't even ask or notice the extra charge, but if they notice and ask, you can just tell the customer that the extra charge is to cover the exchange and withdrawal fees since you will still have to exchange and withdraw the money to be able to replace the item(s) you sold.
This way, you have an edge at beating price volatility, even if bitcoin price was going down at the time of that transaction, you discover you won't be greatly affected, and also if you decide to exchange and withdraw the money, you discover you won't loose part of your business profit on exchange transaction and withdrawal fees since the small extra charge the customer paid have covered that.
Activity: 2562
Merit: 577
It’s not easy to accept of cryptocurrency for the payments.Because the users and the workers should had a good knowledge on the crypto currency.Or else you may not received the payments for your goods.The training of the people with the crypto currency was essential one.Since you had using cryptocurrency as a mode of payments,you will have huge amount of cryptocurrency.Just hold the bitcoin till next halves to get bulk profit.

Agreed, an inexperienced seller should not start accepting btc for payment until he/she acquire the right knowledge to operate btc payment otherwise problems of not receiving payment will arise a lot. This is something both buyer and seller should understand. Since it is a personal business (I assume) op can decide to hold all payment received through btc otherwise a quick conversion will be made for appropriate record keeping.
Activity: 1694
Merit: 592
The Martian Child
So far it is only Central African Republic and El Salvador that consider bitcoin as legal tender. So I assume that it is not strict there in Nigeria with regards to tax enforcement. I remember when a friend of mine considered bitcoin in his business. Our tax bureau ordered a heavy penalty since bitcoin is not a legal tender in my country. My friend's lawyer said that it was better to close the business rather than pay the penalties. So the business was closed. Then after nearly a year, my friend started the same type of business but with a different registered name.

Though taxation systems may vary depending on certain countries' laws, and considering its volatility, the easiest way is to indicate bitcoin payments but it should be always accompanied by fiat conversion. This way, accounting reports are easier to be made and all will be based on the local currency including its tax dues.

Otherwise, in a perfect bitcoin-accepted nation, there will be 2 financial recordings and 2 accounting reports, 1 from local fiat and the other 1 from bitcoin payments that should be also payable by bitcoin. But I doubt this will happen even when the bitcoin price becomes stable because it will take time, effort, and resources when it can be simplified. Governments might allow businesses to pay their taxes either by their local fiat or bitcoin. But bitcoin payments will always be recorded with matching fiat conversion just like a foreign currency.
Activity: 2828
Merit: 767
Given the volatility of Bitcoin, I totally understand that thew op prefers to keep the money for business in the USD instead. Hopefully, high volatility won't always be there, and at some point the risk of not selling for fiat will be lower. I'm also happy to see this story of an inspiring small-business Bitcoin adoption.
My question is about the policies: is accepting Bitcoin as payment legal in Nigeria, and if not, can there actually be troubles with the law enforcement for this? Or is it one of those things which are never enforced, so it's all good?
I would also like to ask a number of questions regarding accounting:
How do you pay taxes on bitcoin you receive for paying for your goods? Of course, if you pay. Bitcoin is not fixed in value, which means that due to volatility it has significant price fluctuations. How do you solve this moment when paying taxes? Do you generally indicate btc in the income item or do you hold btcfor yourself, and on papers in the tax return indicate dollars (or local currency) as income?

I am not a representative of the tax service, but I would just like to know how you solve these issues from a business standpoint.
A valid kind of query which it would be good if he would really be giving out at least some ideas on how he do pay up taxes considering  that businesses like these do really have permits or simply means

that it is really that regulated or abiding laws and tax payors which means that they would need up to pay tax but since he had accepted bitcoin or crypto payment then he do have the option to ignore

other sales numbers and profits which might result into lesser tax payment? I dont think that everybody would really be considering this one but its plausible but since taxes arent
really that big in some countries then it wont really be that much of an issue imho.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
Given the volatility of Bitcoin, I totally understand that thew op prefers to keep the money for business in the USD instead. Hopefully, high volatility won't always be there, and at some point the risk of not selling for fiat will be lower. I'm also happy to see this story of an inspiring small-business Bitcoin adoption.
My question is about the policies: is accepting Bitcoin as payment legal in Nigeria, and if not, can there actually be troubles with the law enforcement for this? Or is it one of those things which are never enforced, so it's all good?
I would also like to ask a number of questions regarding accounting:
How do you pay taxes on bitcoin you receive for paying for your goods? Of course, if you pay. Bitcoin is not fixed in value, which means that due to volatility it has significant price fluctuations. How do you solve this moment when paying taxes? Do you generally indicate btc in the income item or do you hold btcfor yourself, and on papers in the tax return indicate dollars (or local currency) as income?

I am not a representative of the tax service, but I would just like to know how you solve these issues from a business standpoint.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 366
Dude, this is awesome. People with futuristic mind can easily understand this. Also with a little bit of effort we can also encourage those who have no idea about this kinda thing. This small steps will lead us towards the future where crypto will be the major currency throughout the world. Best wishes that you will grow more brother.
legendary
Merit: 2169
Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator
A good initiative so far. Even though it's a little crypto adaption but I appreciate this little try. It's easy to accept Bitcoin payment for a shop by simply using a QR code. It doesn't require too much technical knowledge. Just you need a basic idea of how to verify a transaction whether received or not. Yea, challenging things are volatility. It's better if you can hold if you can afford other stuff. Otherwise, you may use the exchange to convert it instantly. So you will not have to encounter volatility. Hope more shops will inspire by you.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1383
Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!
Activity: 1540
Merit: 722
I would like to say congratulations to you for accepting bitcoin as a payment method for your customers for one year which is a long time compared to many platforms where that accept bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, I'm sure choosing to accept bitcoin and cryptocurrencies was because of interest you have in bitcoin and cryptocurrencies or this can be because of the demand from your clients. There are many other good points about your doing this for your clients because you are training your staff to use and know about cryptocurrencies and bitcoin which can be good for them in the future.
Activity: 2170
Merit: 553
Highly Trusted|Most efficient Manager| yahoo62278
It’s not easy to accept of cryptocurrency for the payments.Because the users and the workers should had a good knowledge on the crypto currency.Or else you may not received the payments for your goods.The training of the people with the crypto currency was essential one.Since you had using cryptocurrency as a mode of payments,you will have huge amount of cryptocurrency.Just hold the bitcoin till next halves to get bulk profit.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5630
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
I was wondering why the confirmation time wasn't a challenge to you. Do you usually accept transactions without fee? What if someone makes a huge transaction, will you accept their payment with zero network confirmation? What about the fees? What if some customers pay very low fee causing longer confirmation time? Do you set the fee for them?

The OP wrote that he also uses LN so that he can partly bypass the problem with waiting for the first confirmation - but any on-chain transaction that is not marked as RBF can be accepted without confirmation because it should not be possible to double-spend. Fee-free transactions are not possible when it comes to Bitcoin anyway, and sometimes paying the minimum fee can result in a long wait for the first confirmation.

Personally, I would always have an open insight into the state of the mempool and advise customers on the optimal fee.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 4265
✿♥‿♥✿
I have noticed that many people is using cryptocurrency as a means of payment in their various companies and department because cryptocurrency is what people is using as means of making intercontinental payment with a speed. I believe that cryptocurrency the more is getting old the more people is using it to make payments for different business establishment. Mate the ideas of bitcoin been used in your store is nice ideas

You are generalizing a lot. Not all countries allow trading with bitcoin. The OP writes not about international payments, but about trading in his country.

I think OP's business would be more profitable if he made all the goods himself, not just prints. Purchasing fabrics and producing T-shirts (as shown in the example) will be much cheaper than buying a finished product. And subsequently, after the sale, the purchase of new materials from the profit, and leaving everything else to the holding without looking back at the price in the present moment. If we know that the growth of bitcoin in the future is mandatory, then the profit is guaranteed.

The only thing that confuses me is how many clients the OP has, because people who have bitcoins are also aware that bitcoin is profitable in storage. To do this, the OP must make the price of the product in bitcoins cheaper compared to the price in fiat.
copper member
Activity: 2968
Merit: 574
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
-snip-
Challenges
-snip-
I was wondering why the confirmation time wasn't a challenge to you. Do you usually accept transactions without fee? What if someone makes a huge transaction, will you accept their payment with zero network confirmation? What about the fees? What if some customers pay very low fee causing longer confirmation time? Do you set the fee for them?

And since you keep the payment in USD, don't you have to pay a conversation fee and mark up fee for any kind of transactions? How does that affect your business?
Activity: 1526
Merit: 506
You can convert your Bitcoin to fiat or hold depending on the average amount of customers paying in bitcoin. If the customer average 10 percent then I would say you can hold it for a long time. You can take all the necessary steps to completing with the remaining 90%. But if you want to have a large number of customers, you can't do that. After all your initiative is really appreciable. I think you will get success faster than others. Because accepting payments in Bitcoin is also a form of promotion that will help expand your business.
copper member
Activity: 2156
Merit: 536
Building my own Dreams!
The only down side I have experienced is the price volatility of Bitcoin. This has a huge effect on the business, because you need cash to run the business. Do you convert to fiat immediately or do you hodl the crypto payments you receive? If you choose the latter, how do you keep record of your actual profits?
What is the average percentage of customers you have that pay with Bitcoin, LN and other cryptocurrencies?
If that number is significant you could convert one part of your coins to fiat currency, but you keep other part in Bitcoin.
This way you could save a lot on fees that could be much higher if you constantly convert BTC to Fiat.
In case if only small percentage of your customers pays with Bitcoin, than I would just hold Bitcoin at least few years before selling.

Yes if few people are using Bitcoins to pay you, then I would also advice you to hold the Bitcoins.
No need of selling them instantly and waste the major portions in transaction and conversion fees.
And also glad to know that you have integrated Bitcoins payment in your store. It would be great if you can tell the  stats of how many people on an average use that and are you happy or not when people finds that they can pay you on your store through Bitcoins.
Activity: 1106
Merit: 253
I am glad when seeing with your fashion store accepted bitcoin as legal currency payment and other side you have been advertiser of bitcoin exactly to your environment and teach them about bitcoin as digital currency, but I want to know how you keep risk when accepting bitcoin as payment currency on your fashion store, keep holding when getting payment in daily day or you hold all payment did by bitcoin. We know bitcoin as speculative values where some time on the top and another day bitcoin will drop to lower price. Not really worth when trying hold bitcoin from your accepting store payment for long time and you need capital to restock again with your product.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1157
That is fantastic. I think many will be having a great time in spending their crypto and many customers would be getting the first lessons of what crypto at your store.  Many people are  willing to participate in crypto are not able to do so, due to lack of knowledge and guidance. I suggest you that please get some bitcoin related educative material printed and distribute it to your customers and store visitors. This will help customers to learn about bitcoin and how to use it.
Activity: 2856
Merit: 541
A store who accepts bitcoin knows what they are doing, it is their responsibility to accept either it will drop or not. As long as they’ve established their mode of payment and accepting bitcoins gives you an opportunity to make a fast transaction. By using bitcoin as payment also gives the store an attraction to the consumers who holds bitcoin because they will think they can save more just by using bitcoin.
Hopefully, the story from @OP can inspire other shops to start accepting payments using bitcoin so that it will make the spread of bitcoin even better. And hopefully, the government can see this so they won't think that bitcoin is just a tool for illegal activities. Maybe @OP can convert right away after receiving his bitcoins so he can still make a profit. Or if @OP can hold his bitcoin for a while until the price goes up again, he will sell his bitcoin so that the profit can be bigger.
Activity: 758
Merit: 105

It is similar to some Bitcoin ATM transactions, as far as I can see.

I keep wondering how it is when someone, for example, buys something that costs 100$, that person pays 100$ in bitcoin and hours later the price of bitcoin drops a lot and you get 97$ in bitcoin, then you take the 97$ in bitcoin and will buy the thing for 98$ and then sell it for 100$. in this scenario you are at a loss and how will you deal with this situation for a long time?
He's already thinking of a payment gateway deal with an exchange.

I'm curious about this too. I would imagine that because of the volatility the most logical thing to do is to automatically convert to USD or some stable currency. Unless you want to HODL part of your profit automatically, but somehow you have to convert it fast to avoid downside volatility. If it's upside it's not a problem but you never know what's going to happen.

A store who accepts bitcoin knows what they are doing, it is their responsibility to accept either it will drop or not. As long as they’ve established their mode of payment and accepting bitcoins gives you an opportunity to make a fast transaction. By using bitcoin as payment also gives the store an attraction to the consumers who holds bitcoin because they will think they can save more just by using bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 2011

It is similar to some Bitcoin ATM transactions, as far as I can see.

I keep wondering how it is when someone, for example, buys something that costs 100$, that person pays 100$ in bitcoin and hours later the price of bitcoin drops a lot and you get 97$ in bitcoin, then you take the 97$ in bitcoin and will buy the thing for 98$ and then sell it for 100$. in this scenario you are at a loss and how will you deal with this situation for a long time?

I'm curious about this too. I would imagine that because of the volatility the most logical thing to do is to automatically convert to USD or some stable currency. Unless you want to HODL part of your profit automatically, but somehow you have to convert it fast to avoid downside volatility. If it's upside it's not a problem but you never know what's going to happen.
Activity: 66
Merit: 2
Well kudos to you.. you are a motivation for many.
I guess more businesses should follow your model.
Is there a service which helps buisness in making transition from Fiat to crypto. I believe such services can be helpful for businesses that want to make the transition.
Activity: 2842
Merit: 772
This is a good move to begin with, I'm not really sure, maybe this is the first time that I heard a real life story of a business person accepting crypto in this community (I might be wrong).

And then you proved that it's really the volatility that shun away many online stores to accept crypto. And even those early stores that accepts crypto in early 2017 or even much earlier, have close the door on bitcoin and the rest of the crypto because of the same reason. But at least in your rest, you try your best not to be affected and you are one crypto enthusiast. It's not just how the price is going down or up, but keeping it and making people or your customers aware of it. Good job.
Activity: 2002
Merit: 775
You seem to have a very smart approach on bitcoin adoption for your business. I like you worry about having a professional staff, which is familiar with cryptocurrency and is able to introduce new customers, if necessary and if they wish, to bitcoin and its basics concepts to learn how to deal with.

I also like the fact you offer promotions and addtional benefits for customers who finish their purchases withbitcoin. In my opinion that is an essential feature to be introduced by business' owners when offering bitcoin as payment method.
Activity: 2282
Merit: 532
Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting
Its great to hear that Bitcoin is used in Nigeria in such an innovative way. I am sure your customer base would keep increasing if you keep advertising your payment options on social media because that is the best communication channel to meet the youths. And advertising on billboards might be very expensive which might affect your profit margin. Nevertheless, I congratulate you for you courage and creative thinking.
Nigeria is one of the country where people are much into making bitcoin on real-time usage. Though the usage of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies were not regulated. There is increased usage among the common people. Recently saw about a petrol station accepting bitcoin as payments amidst the governments opposition to use it. The usage is increasing regularly and here the fashion store accepting bitcoin is an addition to it.
Activity: 686
Merit: 987
Give all before death
Its great to hear that Bitcoin is used in Nigeria in such an innovative way. I am sure your customer base would keep increasing if you keep advertising your payment options on social media because that is the best communication channel to meet the youths. And advertising on billboards might be very expensive which might affect your profit margin. Nevertheless, I congratulate you for you courage and creative thinking.
Activity: 1526
Merit: 412
.....Do you convert to fiat immediately or do you hodl the crypto payments you receive? If you choose the latter, how do you keep record of your actual profits?
You don't present your financial transaction in crypto so profit or loss computation should be the value of BTC in USD at the time you received it less the current USD value or the time you converted it to fiat. This will entail a lot of work if you're going to do this manually.

And if you accept bitcoin as a payment method, but when people pay and convert in USD right away, I wonder: what would be the point of accepting bitcoin as a payment method in this scenario?
He said online banking payments are terrible during weekends according to his post so accepting crypto makes complete sense.
Activity: 952
Merit: 824
Livecasino.io
This is good. I remember speaking to a friend who owns a fashion brand in Nigeria if she accepts BTC as a payment option .See the chat below. I am glad that you are already at the frontier. So, I am curious to know, do you accept payment in bitcoin for an item as low as $10? or does the worth of the item(s) would determine if customer will be allowed to pay in for an item in bitcoin or naira?

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1095
I keep wondering how it is when someone, for example, buys something that costs 100$, that person pays 100$ in bitcoin and hours later the price of bitcoin drops a lot and you get 97$ in bitcoin, then you take the 97$ in bitcoin and will buy the thing for 98$ and then sell it for 100$. in this scenario you are at a loss and how will you deal with this situation for a long time? And if you accept bitcoin as a payment method, but when people pay and convert in USD right away, I wonder: what would be the point of accepting bitcoin as a payment method in this scenario?

Now that most volatile coins has dumped massively, how do you preserve the value of your coin?

I want to know that too
Activity: 295
Merit: 98
You must really be a creative thinker to have come up with this great idea of accepting crypto as a means of payment for your business, taking a business to a Blockchain level is a very good 👌 idea that some average business men/women in Nigeria have not considerd. Is better to keep creative ideas in oder to beat competitors because I know fashion designing is really a competitive business in Nigeria, I saw one of your design through the link on your post and is really actractive.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 534
I have noticed that many people is using cryptocurrency as a means of payment in their various companies and department because cryptocurrency is what people is using as means of making intercontinental payment with a speed. I believe that cryptocurrency the more is getting old the more people is using it to make payments for different business establishment. Mate the ideas of bitcoin been used in your store is nice ideas
Activity: 2716
Merit: 904
It is always a pleasure to read such positive examples about using bitcoin and crypto currencies. I fully support you in your campaign. Have you had any positive reactions from customers? I didn't see anything about your satisfaction with the response.

Whatever the case may be, this is an outstanding article that will surely get attention. Keep up the good work and I will make sure to share this article with anyone who are interested in following in your footsteps.
This serves as an inspiration to those who are also planning to accept bitcoin or any form of crypto in their local stores or small business. I think it’s a great advantage for OP because his own country has a good market for bitcoin and crypto, so might as well take advantage on it. However, for those countries who are not more open to crypto, accepting it as a payment method is also a good start because it will create noise in the long run and who knows, you will discover lot of crypto owners secretly residing in your own country too.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1071
I will show you how I operate and also how you can accept crypto payments as a small business owner.

Thank you so much for sharing, this is definitely a useful information for all those vendors here who have been considering implementing crypto payments into their business but didn't know exactly how to run it effectively. it's very nice of you to share, you will be surprised how helpful this information you may consider little can go in increasing the amount of business owners that will add crypto as a form of payment. It all starts from one person here and then that one person tells another who in turn tells another person who maybe is not a member of forum. Nice one OP.
Merit: 270
Chainjoes.com
Now that most volatile coins has dumped massively, how do you preserve the value of your coin?
Do you consider stable coin for payment as well?
Cryptocurrency make provision for fast payment everywhere in the world. How have you gotten customers outside Nigeria?
How do also cope customers with previous bad experience with cryptocurrency?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
The only down side I have experienced is the price volatility of Bitcoin. This has a huge effect on the business, because you need cash to run the business. Do you convert to fiat immediately or do you hodl the crypto payments you receive? If you choose the latter, how do you keep record of your actual profits? For me, I save my money in USD because of the unstableness of the naira.
You can decide to convert your coins to fiat at anytime that you want, but holding your money in bitcoin during bull run would be very profitable.

The problem I noticed yet in Nigeria is that most people prefer to buy and just hold bitcoin, instead of using it for buying. Hope people using bitcoin to buy from your store are many? I would like to know about this.

Accepting crypto payments has been of great benefit to me, crypto doesn't have an off-day like the banks do not work on weekends and the network on weekends are usually terrible, crypto payments saves me the bank trouble.
Accepting bitcoin payment is good. And as more people accept it, the more the adoption. But which bank are you using? I have been using some banks in Nigeria and no problem even during the weekends. But normally there could be bank service problem which can also occur during the weekdays. And with banks, you do not full control over your money, the reason bitcoin would be better.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1355
It is always a pleasure to read such positive examples about using bitcoin and crypto currencies. I fully support you in your campaign. Have you had any positive reactions from customers? I didn't see anything about your satisfaction with the response.

Whatever the case may be, this is an outstanding article that will surely get attention. Keep up the good work and I will make sure to share this article with anyone who are interested in following in your footsteps.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
The only down side I have experienced is the price volatility of Bitcoin. This has a huge effect on the business, because you need cash to run the business. Do you convert to fiat immediately or do you hodl the crypto payments you receive? If you choose the latter, how do you keep record of your actual profits?
What is the average percentage of customers you have that pay with Bitcoin, LN and other cryptocurrencies?
If that number is significant you could convert one part of your coins to fiat currency, but you keep other part in Bitcoin.
This way you could save a lot on fees that could be much higher if you constantly convert BTC to Fiat.
In case if only small percentage of your customers pays with Bitcoin, than I would just hold Bitcoin at least few years before selling.
Merit: 545
It's a year since I started accepting crypto as payment . I will show you how I operate and also how you can accept crypto payments as a small business owner. I run a fashion store, we make African prints, suits, shirts and trousers. This is a popular business in Nigeria, I needed a edge in the market to better my competitors. A greater percentage of my customers are within the age of 20 - 47, this category are people who are tech savvy and open-minded. Nigeria is one of the biggest markets for Bitcoin. This survey led me to make the decision of accepting Bitcoin payments in my business to serve the increasing number of crypto-paying customers.  I recently made a catalog of Bitcoin wears available for preorders https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.60641685. It's been a one hell of a journey and I would like to share with y'all.

How to Get Started

Step 1

Choose a good wallet

Step 2

Training my staff

Step 3

Advertising & Promotions

Challenges

Advice

Jump to: