Author

Topic: 10% discount on Ledger hardware wallets (Read 426 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
January 24, 2024, 12:12:59 PM
Of course it doesn't.  Why would they bother to mention a major detail like that when they've already established a precedent of omitting even more important, fundamental details about how their devices work?  Fuck them and the diseased horse they rode in on, their partners, and I hope the company is headed toward insolvency (though there's no chance in hell they would give so much as a hint of that and would only announce it after all the bankruptcy paperwork was filed).
I have to agree with you about the forgetting to mention important information or deliberately omitting the ugly truth part. But I remember that some of their past marketing emails contained more information, including the exchange service the promotion was connected to. But don't take my word for it. Memory is a bitch. Regarding the insolvency part, I don't think that's happening any time soon. 
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
January 24, 2024, 11:43:29 AM
Of course it doesn't.  Why would they bother to mention a major detail like that when they've already established a precedent of omitting even more important, fundamental details about how their devices work?  Fuck them and the diseased horse they rode in on, their partners, and I hope the company is headed toward insolvency (though there's no chance in hell they would give so much as a hint of that and would only announce it after all the bankruptcy paperwork was filed).
Don't rush to bury this sick horse. This company has been staying afloat for quite a long time despite the numerous troubles they have subjected their customers to. They have a very sly marketing department that can sell any trash. So, I assume that they are not in danger of bankruptcy. For now. This company will figure out something to extract profits from its naive users.

And yeah, they probably are getting pretty desperate--not for growth, but to get back to the pre-Recovery-announcement sales figures, which I assume were higher than they are now given how many very pissed off people I've seen posting here and on reddit.  Eh.  They get what they deserve.
Posts here and on reddit are not an objective assessment of the number of dissatisfied ledger users. I am sure that many more simpletons and newbies will buy their devices thanks to marketing tricks. Even thanks to that referral program.

It’s only us who remember about the ledger’s screwups, because it happened almost before our eyes and this is not the first time we are discussing this, so we won’t forget about it. Newcomers to the cryptoindustry have passed or will pass by these news and discussions, which is why they will not know what kind of shit they got themselves into with the purchase of ledger's hardware wallets.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 6706
Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup
January 24, 2024, 07:36:12 AM
The email doesn't mention, though, if the BTC is connected to one of their partner swap services/exchanges, etc.

And yeah, they probably are getting pretty desperate--not for growth, but to get back to the pre-Recovery-announcement sales figures, which I assume were higher than they are now given how many very pissed off people I've seen posting here and on reddit.  Eh.  They get what they deserve.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5630
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
January 24, 2024, 07:19:12 AM
I have no doubt at all that there are a lot of people who are ready to advertise Ledger if it means they will earn $10 or $20, because unfortunately for some it is a significant amount of money. If someone manages to get only 5 referrals, that's already a solid salary in some third world countries.

As for the information about how much money they have already distributed in that way, I would not take it as something serious, because considering the honesty in that company, any information that appears is either incorrect or exaggerated. Fortunately, we are not in 2017 anymore and we have a large selection of HW on the market, the dust you will get is simply not worth your security and privacy.
legendary
January 23, 2024, 12:38:16 PM
IIRC, in the past it required them to redeem it in one of their third-party platforms and a lot of users faced various types of issues, so hopefully it'd be different this time.
It might be something similar this time as well. To get your BTC, the new customer will have to obtain a code from a gift card that Ledger ships together with the device. That code will have to be redeemed in their Refer a Friend section in Ledger Live. I am looking at the detailed instructions as I am writing this. It says, that the gift card will be in 'pending mode' for 30 days, and only after that period expires will it be possible to claim the free gift. The email doesn't mention, though, if the BTC is connected to one of their partner swap services/exchanges, etc.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
January 23, 2024, 08:35:36 AM
while the new customer receives a $20 bitcoin voucher.
IIRC, in the past it required them to redeem it in one of their third-party platforms and a lot of users faced various types of issues, so hopefully it'd be different this time.
- BTW, given the fact that they've doubled the reward for their new customers, I think they're quite desperate now!
legendary
keep walking, Johnnie
January 23, 2024, 03:04:53 AM
Ledger is again giving away free bitcoin for referring someone to purchase one of their hardware wallets. The offer is available until 29 January.
They give the person who referred someone else $10 in BTC, while the new customer receives a $20 bitcoin voucher. According to what they wrote in the promo email, they have already given away almost $200k in these promo events they held in the past. If it's true, they are still generating user interest despite all the mistakes they have made in the past.
Selfish financial interest, even as insignificant as $10, will encourage to recommend and advertise Ledger. Even their past fuckups won't stop this.

Referral programs, on the one hand, are good because they allow to receive a reward for recommending a good product, but at the same time, the desire to earn extra money creates the desire to offer something that is far from the best (a safe wallet for storing crypto assets) for the sake of obtaining material benefits.

It would be interesting to see how many people have signed up for their Ledger Recover vulnerability feature and how much money it has brought them.
Perhaps Ledger will share this information (as far as it is objective) in the future using it for advertising purposes. If there are many users of Ledger Recover service, then this can motivate others to use it too. But the financial aspects (the real ones) are unlikely to be disclosed.
legendary
January 22, 2024, 12:29:55 PM
Ledger is again giving away free bitcoin for referring someone to purchase one of their hardware wallets. The offer is available until 29 January.
They give the person who referred someone else $10 in BTC, while the new customer receives a $20 bitcoin voucher. According to what they wrote in the promo email, they have already given away almost $200k in these promo events they held in the past. If it's true, they are still generating user interest despite all the mistakes they have made in the past.

It would be interesting to see how many people have signed up for their Ledger Recover vulnerability feature and how much money it has brought them.
legendary
October 21, 2023, 02:23:49 AM
But on positive side they are at least sending $5 to bitcoin developers.
The discount lasts until the end of October. It's going to be interesting to follow the brink blog to see if they make a new post announcing how much money they got from Ledger. Ledger won't hesitate to tell us about it, of course. After that, it will be easy to see if the marketing trick worked or not. If they can't empty their stocks with a 30% discount, it's a huge sign that customers are turning their backs on Ledger and going elsewhere. 
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
October 20, 2023, 03:51:29 PM
What a cheap pathetic marketing trick from ledger  Roll Eyes
They saw Trezor selling out all their limited Bitcoin-only edition of new Trezor 3 Safe wallet, so they quickly jumped in to fill the ''gap'' with orange ledger Titanic discounts.
But on positive side they are at least sending $5 to bitcoin developers.
legendary
October 19, 2023, 02:18:39 PM
It seems that the orange case is not at all interesting to buyers, it sells worse and the manufacturer has to get rid of it with the help of similar discount promotions.
Actually, I think it's a brand new colour that they just added a few days ago and are now promoting it in this way. I don't like it either. It's to orangy (yeap orangy) in my opinion. I am basing this only on the colours provided on their shop. But if I compare the orange they choose to the one on the back cover of the Bitcoin-only Trezor Safe 3, the Trezor looks better. 
legendary
keep walking, Johnnie
October 19, 2023, 12:18:22 PM
The 30% discount applies not only to the “orange case”, but to all Nano S Plus in any color case
Actually, it's exclusive for the new orange case Ledger. I tried applying the code in their shop to a different case after seeing your post but it doesn't work. Also, if you look carefully in the shop, the 30% off tag is only present next to the orange type, not the other versions.
You are absolutely right. I checked on their website and made sure that the 30% discount only applies to the device in the orange case. If you enter code 'GONESOON' in the cart when selecting hardware wallet in a case of a different color, it gives an error. The discount code works only in one case - orange.

Even in the pictures there is a mention of a discount only on the orange case.

In other colors, like in the red picture, -30% there is no text.

I was already wondering if Ledger was deceiving us again, but as it turned out, in terms of discounts and conditions on their website, all the information was correct.

It seems that the orange case is not at all interesting to buyers, it sells worse and the manufacturer has to get rid of it with the help of similar discount promotions. Note to hardware wallet manufacturers: never release a device in an orange case. Smiley
legendary
October 19, 2023, 11:13:11 AM
And who, if not they themselves, undermined their trust and reputation?
I am guessing this is your way of agreeing with my statement because that's what I sad as well.

The 30% discount applies not only to the “orange case”, but to all Nano S Plus in any color case
Actually, it's exclusive for the new orange case Ledger. I tried applying the code in their shop to a different case after seeing your post but it doesn't work. Also, if you look carefully in the shop, the 30% off tag is only present next to the orange type, not the other versions. 

You forgot to add one more moment dedicated to this event.
Yeah, you are right. Thanks for the reminder.
Activity: 99
Merit: 153
October 18, 2023, 03:28:22 PM
Save 30% with a coupon code.
Risk 100% with key extraction code.

I wouldn't use a Ledger even if they paid me.
legendary
keep walking, Johnnie
October 18, 2023, 12:51:23 PM
I am sure the interest for new Ledger hardware wallets are at an all-time minimum and they only have themselves to blame for that.
And who, if not they themselves, undermined their trust and reputation?

Also, the closest competitor has released a new model (Trezor Safe 3), which will certainly become more popular than the ledger devices of the same price level.

Still, they have introduced a new BTC orange case for their Nano S Plus, and they have a 30% discount on that particular variant. The code that needs to be entered for that is 'GONESOON'. They choose a funny code which could be symbolic for their demise. The discount takes the price down from €79 to €55.30.
The 30% discount applies not only to the “orange case”, but to all Nano S Plus in any color case (using this funny code). And also, ledger painted the stainless bracket on Nano S Plus (that’s it, now all buyers will definitely run to them).

It would be interesting to know what the code word symbolizes in this case. Doesn't 'GONESOON' directly refer to the contents of their client's cryptowallets? Smiley

You forgot to add one more moment dedicated to this event.

Ledger is trying to atone for his sins in this way? Smiley It would be better if they used the fees donates to “enabling them to build, secure, test, and review” their “products”.

Anyone considering purchasing a Ledger wallet nowadays should think twice. The thread Ledger Recovery - Send your (encrypted) recovery phrase to 3rd parties entities should be the first thing you read.
Only “victims” of marketing tricks will become buyers of their hardware wallets.
legendary
October 18, 2023, 11:24:25 AM
I am sure the interest for new Ledger hardware wallets are at an all-time minimum and they only have themselves to blame for that.
Still, they have introduced a new BTC orange case for their Nano S Plus, and they have a 30% discount on that particular variant. The code that needs to be entered for that is 'GONESOON'. They choose a funny code which could be symbolic for their demise. The discount takes the price down from €79 to €55.30.

Anyone considering purchasing a Ledger wallet nowadays should think twice. The thread Ledger Recovery - Send your (encrypted) recovery phrase to 3rd parties entities should be the first thing you read.
legendary
Cashback 15%
I have doubts about the demand for color ledger devices, because they have an indefinite (I don’t know when this promotion will end) 30% discount. Maybe sales aren't going so well.
Pathetic circus promotion.
This sounds to me like they are announcing that ledger is going to be Gone For Good soon, so ''better'' buy them all now because you won't be able to do it tomorrow  Wink
Maybe they should go in front of local circus show in France and try to offer their ''brilliantly secure'' devices to clowns and circus guests.
Ledger - Gone For Good.

Ledger are turning in to a meme at this point.
They have been meme wallet for some time, since all they focus is shitcoins and tokens.
legendary
Purely technically, this is true and ledger wallets has not been hacked until now (except for the participants of the bounty program). But you and I know about their past troubles, moreover, it happened more than once.
Just under their slogan there should be a postscript in small print:
"this doesn't apply to cases where the ledger had its security system hacked 2 times, the customer database was stolen and we are still brilliantly protected, despite the statements of the haters from the bitcointalk!". Smiley
To be fair, Ledger's database got hacked once. It was their responsibility to safeguard the data on their servers, and they failed to do that. The second hack that occurred around the same time and subsequent leak was that of Shopify - their e-commerce partner. For the end-user who gets their data stolen, it doesn't matter how it happened. But it's still important to differentiate the two.
legendary
keep walking, Johnnie
I understand that customization is good, but the main emphasis in HW devices should be on the protection and security of funds (as well as personal data) of customers, and not just this pink and glamorous husk.
You are forgetting their slogan that they have been hacked 0 times and that they are brilliantly secure. What more do you want? Wink
Purely technically, this is true and ledger wallets has not been hacked until now (except for the participants of the bounty program). But you and I know about their past troubles, moreover, it happened more than once.

Just under their slogan there should be a postscript in small print:

"this doesn't apply to cases where the ledger had its security system hacked 2 times, the customer database was stolen and we are still brilliantly protected, despite the statements of the haters from the bitcointalk!". Smiley

I have doubts about the demand for color ledger devices, because they have an indefinite (I don’t know when this promotion will end) 30% discount. Maybe sales aren't going so well.
The picture you posted says the discount is valid until they run out of those colored devices. They seem to be making storage space for other gadgets or trying to save a sinking ship.
If the ledger had not tried to get rid of colored devices faster, they would not have made a rather solid discount of 30%, and also with free shipping in the case of one of the wallets. Well, the text from the picture that you paid attention to speaks for itself. Either colored cases are of little interest to anyone and few people buy it, or they are trying to get rid of old trash. As for the drop in their sales, perhaps their last epic fail is the reason for this and the ledger is trying to earn at least something in this way. It is possible. Any company wants to constantly make a profit, moreover, increase turnover and continue global expansion, but the problem is that the market is not unlimited. In this regard, the company's profit could have fallen against the background of previous years, although it still remains significant, but this may not seem enough to managers, which prompts them to come up with similar stocks with colored cases. These are just my speculations.
legendary
I understand that customization is good, but the main emphasis in HW devices should be on the protection and security of funds (as well as personal data) of customers, and not just this pink and glamorous husk.
You are forgetting their slogan that they have been hacked 0 times and that they are brilliantly secure. What more do you want? Wink

The picture you posted says the discount is valid until they run out of those colored devices. They seem to be making storage space for other gadgets or trying to save a sinking ship.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5630
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
When you have a 30% discount without any specific reason and if you go with a change of color, it seems to me that their sale is not going very well - which is actually good news, because it would mean that most people realize the risk they're taking if they buy this device.

I wouldn't take their HW even in case they decide to share it completely free of charge - let Pascal take these colored HW, make himself a necklace, and try to make a promotion like that👎
Activity: 406
Merit: 443
Legder is turning into an accessories store for schoolgirls, where you can choose a toy by color. I understand that customization is good, but the main emphasis in HW devices should be on the protection and security of funds (as well as personal data) of customers, and not just this pink and glamorous husk.
Now you need to buy a wallet case to make it less eye catching.

I would call it a shift in the audience who buys these devices from, some who don't understand bitcoin are interested in colors, accessories, that my money is safe and a trusted third party can keep it for me, who likes to hear ("still 0 hacks"), "brilliantly secure" The direction that Legder is taking confirms that it has become targeting this audience, and not privacy lovers.

I wouldn't be surprised if we heard about HW version 2 where these devices turn into bank storage.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
Legder is turning into an accessories store for schoolgirls, where you can choose a toy by color.
This has been evident since they launched the Stax, a hardware wallet whose entire purpose is apparently to be shown off to as many people as possible while displaying information or a NFT on the front to highlight to everyone that you are worth robbing. Now give me bright flashy colored Nanos, so if an attacker sees them again they will think they are something valuable rather than just some bland piece of computer hardware or USB drive. But don't worry if your devices are stolen, your seed phrase is backed up on the cloud, remember! For the low cost of $10 a month!

legendary
keep walking, Johnnie
There was recently a discount on color Ledgers so Ledger has been sending loads of marketing emails about that. I am not sure if the promotion has ended.
Looks like it is still live for now, according to this page[1]. Makes me wonder if there is really a demand for colored HW like this since I assume people can just mod their own with stickers and stuff like that. This doesn't solve their last problem afaik, people should not buy them just because they get cheaper.

[1] https://shop.ledger.com/pages/save-30-ledger-nano-colors

Nope, people should buy ledger because it's beautiful, bright and colorful, and also multi-colored. Cheesy After all, this is what is important in hardware wallets.
/Sarcasm off.

Legder is turning into an accessories store for schoolgirls, where you can choose a toy by color. I understand that customization is good, but the main emphasis in HW devices should be on the protection and security of funds (as well as personal data) of customers, and not just this pink and glamorous husk.

30% - a good discount, as it seems to me (what difference does it make what color the device case is, the main thing is that the device works), if only there are still those who want to buy ledger wallets

"Save 30% with GONESOON code at checkout" - when buying Nano X (Blazing Orange colour only) + Free shipping and Nano S (Mystic White, Ice, Deepsea Blue, BTC Orange colour's only).
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
There was recently a discount on color Ledgers so Ledger has been sending loads of marketing emails about that. I am not sure if the promotion has ended.
Looks like it is still live for now, according to this page[1]. Makes me wonder if there is really a demand for colored HW like this since I assume people can just mod their own with stickers and stuff like that. This doesn't solve their last problem afaik, people should not buy them just because they get cheaper.

[1] https://shop.ledger.com/pages/save-30-ledger-nano-colors
legendary
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I remembered that I had an old thread about a previous Ledger discount.

Anyways, take a look at the screenshot and see one of their marketing emails.

Something tells me that Ledger isn't doing very well if they have to advertise their products as "brilliantly secure" and as never hacked ("still 0 hacks").
Sure, no one has stolen coins from a Ledger, but they are completely sweeping their database hack under the carpet.
legendary
November 12, 2022, 09:25:26 AM
It probably depends who exactly is doing this kyc verification processes, because they can have different partners and procedures for storing and securing private information.
I hadn't even considered the third parties who are being contracted to process your KYC data, but there is no doubt that the same third party will be working with multiple exchanges and will link your data across all these platforms.

I would say that authorities and regulators probably know more than each individual exchange or ledger separately.
Oh certainly. We know, for example, that the US government buys data and services from Coinbase Analytics, Chainalysis, Elliptic, CipherTrace, as well as collecting data directly from exchanges themselves. All your activities are completely linkable across your various KYCed accounts.
legendary
Cashback 15%
November 10, 2022, 04:27:15 PM
If you complete KYC on Coinbase and separately on Binance, you can be certain that Coinbase knows about your Binance account and vice versa.
It probably depends who exactly is doing this kyc verification processes, because they can have different partners and procedures for storing and securing private information.
We know that people who signed u for Binance end up with their documents and pictures being posted in public and sold on other forums, and similar thing happened with ledger.
I would say that authorities and regulators probably know more than each individual exchange or ledger separately.
legendary
November 10, 2022, 07:04:09 AM
People like this and are willing to sacrifice privacy and anonymity for the sake of simplicity and convenience.
Probably less convenient for them when their name, address, email address, phone number, the fact they only a Ledger, a list of all their Ledger wallets/addresses, and the balance within all those wallets is leaked/sold online.

It's even worse they are making deals with other centralized exchanges, so when you have multiple connections it's much easier to locate original user.
A moot point. Given that every centralized exchange complies with blockchain analysis, and multiple data brokers and governments all purchase data and services from multiple blockchain analysis companies, you should assume there is already complete cross over of such data. If you complete KYC on Coinbase and separately on Binance, you can be certain that Coinbase knows about your Binance account and vice versa.
legendary
Cashback 15%
November 09, 2022, 04:01:13 PM
I think you guys got a bit too carried away here. It's not Ledger that you need to complete your KYC verification with, it's with Binance. Binance now has mandatory KYC, which means no registering, trading or withdrawing from new accounts without undergoing KYC first, remember? If you already passed KYC on Binance, you aren't required to do it again with Ledger.
You need to verify yourself when you buy ledger device online and than they are supporting centralized exchanges.
Didn't they did the same thing with making partnership with FTX exchange and look how that exchange is doing now...
I guess we could expect same thing to happen with Binance in future, everything that ledger touches get's destroyed and ruined, but hey at least FTT and other shitcoins will be safu on ledger  Cheesy

I don't think anyone was suggesting that Ledger will be collecting KYC data themselves. But by linking your Ledger with your KYCed Binance account, then either Ledger or Binance or more likely both will have a complete record of all your hardware wallet addresses and transactions alongside all your KYC data and information. And I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone of both these companies' utterly atrocious attitude to protecting customer data.
It's even worse they are making deals with other centralized exchanges, so when you have multiple connections it's much easier to locate original user.
Ledger doesn't really care as long as they are making profit from this deals.

legendary
November 09, 2022, 01:36:08 PM
it only applies to Nano X & S purchases (my bad) and I believe it's limited to only a few people.
I am sure it applies to the Nano S Plus now as well. Nano S isn't being sold anymore through the official store, and it's replacement is Nano S Plus. It's probably just the documentation that hasn't been updated if you read it somewhere. The content on the page was written before the Nano S Plus was even released.

You're probably right and I believe the main issue is if Ledger could collect any data along the process [even if it's just a window on LL], it makes it worse than just doing the KYC part in Binance [even if you have to go back to LL afterward].
Who knows what their partnership entails. Could in theory even include Binance sharing KYC data with Ledger in exchange for something else.

Ledger's firmware is closed-source, making the hardware device closed-source because of the choice of secure element. Ledger Live is open-source. If someone has the skills, maybe the truth is in the code. But in all honestly, it doesn't have to be. Those things don't have to be done automatically and for the public to see. An exchange can take place anytime and anywhere.
legendary
keep walking, Johnnie
November 09, 2022, 09:25:10 AM
I am sure there will be ledger users who will pass verification with KYC, moreover, they will use Binance directly from the ledger live application. Because this simplifies use and minimizes actions. People like this and are willing to sacrifice privacy and anonymity for the sake of simplicity and convenience. So, the Ledger gives only what their consumers want. I've been thinking about what will happen to traditional banks in the era of cryto currencies and it seems to me that companies like Ledger will come to replace them, which will partially perform their functions, which the crypto-community so disapproves of (like KYC). Started with the production of hardware devices and, having expanded their influence, will offer more and more diversified services related to finance. Sorry, got a little off topic.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 09, 2022, 06:40:20 AM
I don't want to click on the link because I don't know what it is. It mentions the word "referral", so he could have gotten a discount coupon from Ledger because of the people he referred to their shop who ended up purchasing hardware wallets through his referral link.
You're right... Initially, I thought he was just using a platform to display the code, but it appears to be some kind of referral that's based on giving discount codes, as opposed to direct referral links [a bit weird] and I just "found it on Ledger [it only applies to Nano X & S purchases (my bad) and I believe it's limited to only a few people]".

I saw that. I think the wording is wrong. It should probably say that if you haven't completed your KYC at Binance, you need to do it through Ledger Live. Ledger Live is just the window that allows you to perform KYC on your Binance account. You still shouldn't do it, though. That sentence makes even less sense because if you don't have a Binance account, what are you going to log in to and connect with Ledger Live? You need to have an account first. And you can't register a new Binance account today without going through KYC as well.
You're probably right and I believe the main issue is if Ledger could collect any data along the process [even if it's just a window on LL], it makes it worse than just doing the KYC part in Binance [even if you have to go back to LL afterward].
legendary
November 09, 2022, 05:22:49 AM
I'm surprised they only offered a 10% discount code while some of the influencers are offering a higher discount code: e.g. 20% discount
Interesting. I didn't see that back when I created this thread. Maybe the guy posted it later. His 20% discount could be totally unrelated to Ledger's offer though. I don't want to click on the link because I don't know what it is. It mentions the word "referral", so he could have gotten a discount coupon from Ledger because of the people he referred to their shop who ended up purchasing hardware wallets through his referral link.

You're right [for the most part], but there's also this:

I saw that. I think the wording is wrong. It should probably say that if you haven't completed your KYC at Binance, you need to do it through Ledger Live. Ledger Live is just the window that allows you to perform KYC on your Binance account. You still shouldn't do it, though. That sentence makes even less sense because if you don't have a Binance account, what are you going to log in to and connect with Ledger Live? You need to have an account first. And you can't register a new Binance account today without going through KYC as well.

I will check if my Ledger Live gives me an option to connect to Binance just to see how it works. I assume that there is an option to create a new Binance account directly through Ledger Live as well just in case you don't have one. It would make sense since you can use LL to send Binance your KYC data.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 09, 2022, 04:41:41 AM
Ledger just started a new promo campaign offering a 10% discount on all purchases in their official shop.
I'm surprised they only offered a 10% discount code while some of the influencers are offering a higher discount code: e.g. 20% discount

but in both cases they increased prices a lot before offering discounts  Tongue
It looks like "the same thing also applies to their shipping fees [except for Nano X]".

It's not Ledger that you need to complete your KYC verification with, it's with Binance.
You're right [for the most part], but there's also this:

legendary
November 08, 2022, 07:55:37 AM
I think you guys got a bit too carried away here. It's not Ledger that you need to complete your KYC verification with, it's with Binance.
I don't think anyone was suggesting that Ledger will be collecting KYC data themselves. But by linking your Ledger with your KYCed Binance account, then either Ledger or Binance or more likely both will have a complete record of all your hardware wallet addresses and transactions alongside all your KYC data and information. And I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone of both these companies' utterly atrocious attitude to protecting customer data.
legendary
November 07, 2022, 07:05:15 PM
I think you guys got a bit too carried away here. It's not Ledger that you need to complete your KYC verification with, it's with Binance. Binance now has mandatory KYC, which means no registering, trading or withdrawing from new accounts without undergoing KYC first, remember? If you already passed KYC on Binance, you aren't required to do it again with Ledger.

It's still a bad practice and shouldn't be done. I see no reason why anyone would connect their Binance account (KYC-verified or not) to Ledger Live and surely get worse exchange rates. When it comes to the data being shared with 3rd-parties and between the new partners, that's a given.
legendary
Cashback 15%
November 07, 2022, 05:59:33 PM
Ledger just started a new promo campaign offering a 10% discount on all purchases in their official shop. This offer is only available for the next 48 hours.
You need to apply the promo code NYKNYC during checkout to take advantage of it.
I am not impressed with this new 10% discount, and Trezor beat them this time with bigger 15% discount, but in both cases they increased prices a lot before offering discounts  Tongue

Ledger live most likely share all the information they collect with their partners.
They share it 100% and they are not even hiding that, you can check their privacy policy page for more information about that.
Partnering with Binance is fine, but they shouldn't force you to pass kyc verification, oh wait... you can't even use Binance anymore without that Wink
I wonder why nobody is partnering with Bisq or any other exchange that doesn't have strict kyc?

Ledger are no longer a company which can be trusted. They consistently put profits above their users.
Ledger was never a trusted company, so nothing is lost there.
They accepted shit tone of money from left and right in their previous money grabbing campaigns, and they need to payback debts somehow.
legendary
November 07, 2022, 04:23:26 PM
I will certainly avoid all kyc procedures related to my ledger wallet. And everyone should do so as well.
Yup. What a truly horrible move by Ledger.

Every decision Ledger make as a company leads them more and more astray from the ethos you want from a hardware wallet manufacturer. Even ignoring their horrendous data breach, they spend the majority of their development time implementing support for an endless number of scams and shitcoins and integrating privacy invading nonsense like KYC linked debit cards and KYC linked exchange accounts in to Ledger Live. The whole point of a hardware wallet is to keep your coins under your own control and not that of exchanges, and away from their sticky fingers and prying eyes. Why on Earth would you want to link your hardware wallet to your KYC?

Ledger are no longer a company which can be trusted. They consistently put profits above their users.
legendary
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
November 07, 2022, 01:47:58 PM
KYC is required, and I am sure Ledger earns a fee on each completed trade. You will surely get better rates using Binance directly if that's what you want.  

As kyc is required,  you are linking your whole ledger live stash with you KYC. Basically linking all your cryptocurrencies saving with your name.

Ledger live most likely share all the information they collect with their partners.

I will certainly avoid all kyc procedures related to my ledger wallet. And everyone should do so as well.

Once you link, your privacy is forever gone.

You can try to get some degree of privacy later on by  using mixers and creating a new wallet (which will mitigate their tracking), but what is done online cannot be undone. Binance ledger and whoever more is watching will see your full balance and your name.
legendary
November 07, 2022, 12:50:49 PM
Ledger just started a new promo campaign offering a 10% discount on all purchases in their official shop. This offer is only available for the next 48 hours.
You need to apply the promo code NYKNYC during checkout to take advantage of it.

The second piece of news is the integration of the Binance exchange within Ledger Live. The accompanying blog post in the tweet is several months old, so I am unsure when Binance was officially integrated. Regardless, the partnership allows users to trade on Binance through the Ledger Live software. KYC is required, and I am sure Ledger earns a fee on each completed trade. You will surely get better rates using Binance directly if that's what you want. 
Jump to: