Author

Topic: 11-18-2013 CNN/MONEY (Read 739 times)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0
November 18, 2013, 06:08:23 PM

Makes you wonder if Satoshi Nakamoto (or the group/nation state hiding behind the moniker) is really Japanese at all Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
November 18, 2013, 04:45:52 PM
nice piece.

That's why next year will be key for the future of Bitcoin. Ironically, it is the United States, the "free market" financial heavyweight in the world, that finds itself moving slowly to figure out how to adopt Bitcoin. Meanwhile, China is proving to be a leading player in this 21st century currency.

If the U.S. winds up over-regulating Bitcoin, the existing power structure in finance could be put at risk. The message to Congress is clear. Bitcoin is here to stay and lawmakers would do well to make sure that the U.S. does not get left behind in this brave, new digital currency world. The race is on, and Bitcoin doesn't care about national borders.

Am... I... er, a fan of CNN reporting all of a sudden? I like this report, at least. Pretty sober analysis, am I definitely awake right now? 
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
November 18, 2013, 04:23:52 PM
nice piece.

That's why next year will be key for the future of Bitcoin. Ironically, it is the United States, the "free market" financial heavyweight in the world, that finds itself moving slowly to figure out how to adopt Bitcoin. Meanwhile, China is proving to be a leading player in this 21st century currency.

If the U.S. winds up over-regulating Bitcoin, the existing power structure in finance could be put at risk. The message to Congress is clear. Bitcoin is here to stay and lawmakers would do well to make sure that the U.S. does not get left behind in this brave, new digital currency world. The race is on, and Bitcoin doesn't care about national borders.

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
November 18, 2013, 01:44:23 PM
Overall, nice!

In terms of geopolitics, the implications of Chinese support for Bitcoin are clear and complicated for the U.S. The more bitcoins a person or entity control, the higher their influence in all things Bitcoin. While it is unlikely anyone will ever control more than 51% of Bitcoin, such an event could put the currency under control of that actor.

But ... really? Roll Eyes

Expect confusions of that sort involving the value "51%" to last forever (probably along with different combinations of "Bitcoin code hacked at exchange" and "the programmers behind Bitcoin change it again" and "major fault with Bitcoin exposed since trojan found at some Bitcoin ATM", etc...).

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
November 18, 2013, 01:38:19 PM
Overall, nice!

In terms of geopolitics, the implications of Chinese support for Bitcoin are clear and complicated for the U.S. The more bitcoins a person or entity control, the higher their influence in all things Bitcoin. While it is unlikely anyone will ever control more than 51% of Bitcoin, such an event could put the currency under control of that actor.

But ... really? Roll Eyes
Activity: 882
Merit: 500
Jump to: