Author

Topic: 1600 watt wind turbine ? (Read 1139 times)

legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031
January 09, 2015, 02:03:36 AM
problem with the wind turbine is that you dont know when and how much it will blow.
Second conversion from 24 to 12 is better less cable losses from the place you have the turbine to the miner
also if the turbine has too much wind produces many volts and amperes (common problem of wind turbines)
you have to bypass the miner at these times so need a special bypass switch
Dont you want to purchase solar panels In the north you will have more sunny days in the summer!!!

I thought the same thing regarding unreliability of the weather.  So then I remembered that thing where someone had an exercise bike hooked up to some sort of power generation system.  If that could work it could really be something.  I can just imagine putting my whole family to work on an indoor exercise bicycle! 

Here we go:  http://www.adafruit.com/products/1533?gclid=Cj0KEQiA8rilBRDZu_G8hszXraoBEiQABlB9Y2JQ_1TgUvy4QE_UVuFXLJ4GCl_fvgfkrXwbmRRPqcEaAoL18P8HAQ

And of course there was that soccer ball that was made to be kicked around and then plugged in for a lamp... but not very practical
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
January 08, 2015, 11:35:40 AM
problem with the wind turbine is that you dont know when and how much it will blow.
Second conversion from 24 to 12 is better less cable losses from the place you have the turbine to the miner
also if the turbine has too much wind produces many volts and amperes (common problem of wind turbines)
you have to bypass the miner at these times so need a special bypass switch
Dont you want to purchase solar panels In the north you will have more sunny days in the summer!!!
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Call me Alice. just Alice.
January 06, 2015, 06:33:08 PM
The batteries will kill you! look for something easier like i write above!

Thanks for your advice, but the advice you wrote above requires a lot of maintenance.

i was thinking about a Golf cart battery(S) ?
Activity: 742
January 06, 2015, 03:35:05 AM
The batteries will kill you! look for something easier like i write above!
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031
January 06, 2015, 02:47:49 AM

It has my interest and now I'm looking up wind almanac info for my local area.  I'd love to make my own electricity to support my mining habit!

There are also maps that can tell you if it's a good idea for your area.  Something like a 50M wind map.
Activity: 742
January 04, 2015, 02:40:41 AM
other ideas:

stirling engine or steam engine powered generator! on a big rocket stove feed with mostly burnable trash!

old diesel generator(injection must be indirect, mechanical) working on different types of cheap/used/ free oils like cooking oil

petrol car engine transformed into an electric generator. fuel wood gas! it's basic pyrolysis here so burnable trash should work fine!
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
January 03, 2015, 09:37:32 PM
1600 watts and a whole lot of potential headaches. Meh, not worth it unless the novelty is exciting to you.
Activity: 574
Call me Alice. just Alice.
Jump to: