Author

Topic: 2 bitcoins seem to have dissapeared or balance is incorrect multbit classic (Read 1105 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
I'm using MultiBit classic and for some reason, it is still accepting high S value transactions. That might be a problem with the funds, it would show as being spent twice(if it gets affected by transaction malleability). The spendable funds would decrease accordingly too.

I would recommend against inputting your keys in blockchain.info since they are very unreliable. Try downloading Electrum, create a wallet and sweep/import the Bitcoins (go to wallet>private key). Sweep means that the funds will be transferred to one of the address on the wallet, import would mean that the private key are imported directly, change will be sent back to the original address. If you sweep it, you need not make a backup of the private key you imported but you need to make a backup of the seeds. If you import it, you need both most probably.

If possible, do give us an address so we can find out what's wrong. Managing private keys if you don't know what you're doing can be dangerous.

Thanks for your fast reply.

Transactions of 2 bitcoins date back from august on its earliest, so why would it give a deficit in my balance now all of sudden?

My receiving adress is: 1MMW5AfjkJod8vHDi1Vji8KEqQyriX4tyC

If this is what you ment?

I will download Electrum now and try to transfer my private keys to that wallet. Although im still not sure how this would be done exactly.

So first i should sweep the remainder of my wallet, by sending the displayed spendable amount to another bitcoin adress in my multibit classic wallet? And then i should import the private keys through another wallet platform, such as electrum, so that the remainder of my balance that is not displayed will be automaticallys sent back to my multibit classic wallet?

Correct me if im wrong

Thanks!

edit: I could send a screenshot of my wallet with the transaction history if it helps?
It would be the best if you could do so. It is quite weird. Would it be possible if you could go to blocktrail.com and enter your address there? I would accurately display all the transactions that is tied with the address and it's final balance.

There is an option to do so in Electrum. Download Electrum, create new wallet, remember your seed and follow my steps.

To extract your private key from MultiBit classic, select your wallet at the side, go to Tools> Export Private Keys. Enter the directory that you want it to be extracted to and press Do not password protect export file. You can open the .key file with any text editor and there will be a long string of letters that start with 5, L or K. That is your private key.

Problem solved, finally Smiley

I managed to sweep my wallet through blockchain.info, and have now transferred all bitcoins to an electrum wallet.

Your advice is really appreciated. Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
I'm using MultiBit classic and for some reason, it is still accepting high S value transactions. That might be a problem with the funds, it would show as being spent twice(if it gets affected by transaction malleability). The spendable funds would decrease accordingly too.

I would recommend against inputting your keys in blockchain.info since they are very unreliable. Try downloading Electrum, create a wallet and sweep/import the Bitcoins (go to wallet>private key). Sweep means that the funds will be transferred to one of the address on the wallet, import would mean that the private key are imported directly, change will be sent back to the original address. If you sweep it, you need not make a backup of the private key you imported but you need to make a backup of the seeds. If you import it, you need both most probably.

If possible, do give us an address so we can find out what's wrong. Managing private keys if you don't know what you're doing can be dangerous.

Transactions of 2 bitcoins date back from august on its earliest, so why would it give a deficit in my balance now all of sudden?

I will download Electrum now and try to transfer my private keys to that wallet. Although im still not sure how this would be done exactly.

So first i should sweep the remainder of my wallet, by sending the displayed spendable amount to another bitcoin adress in my multibit classic wallet? And then i should import the private keys through another wallet platform, such as electrum, so that the remainder of my balance that is not displayed will be automaticallys sent back to my multibit classic wallet?

Correct me if im wrong

Thanks!

edit: I could send a screenshot of my wallet with the transaction history if it helps?
It would be the best if you could do so. It is quite weird. Would it be possible if you could go to blocktrail.com and enter your address there? I would accurately display all the transactions that is tied with the address and it's final balance.

There is an option to do so in Electrum. Download Electrum, create new wallet, remember your seed and follow my steps.

To extract your private key from MultiBit classic, select your wallet at the side, go to Tools> Export Private Keys. Enter the directory that you want it to be extracted to and press Do not password protect export file. You can open the .key file with any text editor and there will be a long string of letters that start with 5, L or K. That is your private key.
I tried moving my wallet. But im unable to open the private key. What program do you need to open it? (Im using a mac and cant open it with keynote)

I cannot believe 800 dollars dissapeared into thin air? Help would be appreciated!

Correct me if im wrong

Thanks!

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange

Dear Community,

I have been owning bitcoins for a while and have been trading them every once in a while. However, I am still a newbie, which is why i decided to ask for help here.

My mulitbit classic wallet (Latest version) had about 6,7 bitcoins in it. After a failed transaction (of just 0,025 bitcoin). It showed i had only 4,7 bitcoins spendable amount. And after resetting the blockchain, 4,7 was my normal amount. When i check my transactions and do the math, there should be 6,7 bitcoins. The 2 bitcoins have not been sent away, but have somehow dissapeared from my wallet or are excluded from my balance. I tried to reset the blockchain several times, but it doesn't work. Now on mulitbits faq i read i should sweep my wallet if the reset doesnt work. By exporting my private keys to blockchain.info. As a noob i am concerned i will mess up, and lose all my bitcoins or be unable to recover my old balance.

So does anyone have any experience with a similair problem or with "sweeping" their multibit classic wallet and importing the keys in blockchain.info. Will the bitcoins be added to my blockchain.info wallet? Should my blockchain.info wallet be empty? And should i transfer the balance that does appear in my account to another third party wallet to minimize the risks of things going wrong? What are the risks?

Thanks in advance!
Jump to: