Author

Topic: 2 Factor Authorization for Coinbase and Gemini (Read 89 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 5874
light_warrior ... 🕯️
December 30, 2021, 05:21:43 AM
How about Yubikey? [supports one-factor, 2FA, and multi-factor hardware authentication].

YubiKey is a hardware security key that makes 2FA authentication as easy as possible, and instead of entering the generated code into the app on your phone, you simply press a button (especially since Coinbase or Gemini are compatible with this and other security keys). Instead of having several smartphones with an authentication application, you can connect up to 5 devices Yubikay to Coinbase at the same time, so you will have a lot of backup keys for all occasions, (but it's better to buy them on Black Friday). If you are really paranoid [say, you operate with huge amounts of money], then think about a combination of a hardware key and an authentication application on a iphone.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
Centralized exchanges like Coinbase or Gemini don't give you access to seed phrases.
Whenever you set up 2FA on an exchange for example, the site will show you a recovery key. You are supposed to write that down somewhere safely. And no Jerry that doesn't mean storing the key digitally or saving it in your password manager like you do with your seed phrases!

Everything is explained to you during the set up process. Just read what it says.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
Paldo.io 🤖
Do you use coinbase or gemini now?  I assume not since you say you don't remember backing up a QR code?  Is there a seed phrase then?  That is what i read on coinbase.  Again years ago I used coinbase with the google authenticator but phone didn't work and I did not have the backup... I don't even remember if it was a secret phrase or QR code etc.

Since we're talking about 2 Factor Authentication, I'm pretty sure OP is referring to Coinbase(the exchange, not Coinbase Wallet). Also obviously the Coinbase Exchange and Gemini doesn't give access to the wallet's seed phrase backup.
Activity: 1736
Merit: 186
Do you use coinbase or gemini now?  I assume not since you say you don't remember backing up a QR code?  Is there a seed phrase then?  That is what i read on coinbase.  Again years ago I used coinbase with the google authenticator but phone didn't work and I did not have the backup... I don't even remember if it was a secret phrase or QR code etc.

mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
Paldo.io 🤖
Google Authenticator and Authy are interchangeable. I'm pretty sure either Coinbase or Gemini wouldn't actually know if you're actually using Google Authenticator or Authy. So, the choice is pretty much up to you on what you will use. You can also choose Aegis if you're using an Android device.

Topic: Aegis Authenticator, a decent alternative to Google Authenticator and Authy

And yes, you need a backup. I really don't remember backing up a qr code so hopefully others will chime in, but I personally just back up the code as for when I lose/break my phone.

And yes, you can import the same 2FA backup to multiple phones.
Activity: 1736
Merit: 186
Looking at coinbase, they have google authenticator.  I used it years ago with them but then my phone broke and I couldn't get into my account for a while until coinbase reverified me.  But was I suppose to write down a coinbase two factor google authenticator key?  Or was I suppose to take a picture?  Is this the preferred 2FA for coinbase?

On gemini, it seems they do not have google authenticator.  It seems authy is what they offer.  So that is what one should choose?  But when make this your 2FA, you need to write a code down right?  Or take a picture?

So google authenticator for coinbase and authy for gemini? 

What happens if you have no access to your phone?  Do you need to make sure you have a backup copy of the code?

What if you have two phones?  Could you install it in both phones so in case something happens to your main phone, you still have it on your backup phone?

Want to set this up correctly for coinbase and gemini.
Jump to: