Author

Topic: 2012-04-12 foreignpolicy.com - Canada may launch government-backed bitcoin... (Read 2579 times)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0
This is a great news, once Canada launches the government-controlled bitcoins, it will be the first country to do so.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
I feel bad for Coinada, after their self inflicted tarsands environmental destruction, and now this lame attempt at innovation. Hopefully they don't bet on it too much or at least recognize how broken it is before becoming serious about it.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
They'd be better off putting that $50K into an FPGA mining rig and joining the party. Canada could even go GPU because they can use the heat.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
Canada IS taking bitcoin seriously, that is huge ups ... and the whole MintChip thing is so vaguely defined as to be basically vapour-ware at this stage ... they are saying "we know we need to do something and we are prepared to throw out $50k in bullion to devs for good ideas" ...f!, that's all they got?

Satoshi is casting a giant shadow when you look at how behind the competition is ... they could do worse than just fork bitcoin call it MintChipCoin, give it some kind of small change convertibility to loonies and marry it up to a hardware device (who knows why are they obsessing over that part of it ??) .... I might just throw that idea in there for a shot at the bullion.

Mostly just a gratuitous comment because at last we can ....  Wink

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
I love the line quoted, it just shows how completely ignorant they are of what Bitcoin is and what it will likely mean for their bottom line.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
Canada may launch government-backed bitcoin competitor

Joshua Keating
2012-04-12

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/04/12/canada_may_launch_government_backed_bitcoin_competitor

It seems that at least one country is taking the Bitcoin phenomenon seriously: Canada
Jump to: