Author

Topic: 2012-04-25 Slashdot.org Bitcoin Mining Startup Gets $500k In Venture Capital (Read 2369 times)

legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
I noticed that Bitcoin supporters rallied behind it quite strongly in the comment section. First it looked very trollish but there has been a lot of reasonable comments as well. I'm impressed. Personally I can't take that level of trolling anymore these days and just refuse to acknowledge them. Smiley
Activity: 609
Merit: 500
I like that bitcoins are entering mainstream more, and this might help increase btc value... but now I'm going to have to watch that site (or other threads related to it) in case I decide to play a free game somewhere and keep tabs which games are going to hijack my video card. 

I have mixed emotions about this.  They need to make it more visible about what's happening before you play the game.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
Why doesn't their scam-detector go off to the greatest theft of all times (inflatable fiat currency scams all around the world)?

Brainwashed in government indoctrination camps aka public schools + brainwashed by the corporate media propaganda machine. Can we really expect anything else?
Activity: 352
Merit: 250
tipped of the verge and engadget to. You never  know  Cheesy
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
Jesus Christ! What has become of the slashdot crowd?!? Have they switched their brains off or is this just envy?

Why doesn't their scam-detector go off to the greatest theft of all times (inflatable fiat currency scams all around the world)?

I salute all you guys who are answering even the dumbest idiots there in such a polite manner.
Activity: 731
Merit: 503
Libertas a calumnia
My submission btw. 3 out of 4 have reached the front page so far. Smiley
+1   Cool
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/04/25/1549252/bitcoin-mining-startup-gets-500k-in-venture-capital

"Seattle based Bitcoin startup CoinLab secured a $500,000 investment from various investors such as Silicon Valley firm Draper Associates and angel investor Geoff Entress. CoinLab is an emerging umbrella group for cultivating and launching innovative Bitcoin projects. CEO Vessenes said 'if there is a currency that can trade around the world, it's semi-anonymous, it's instant, it's not controlled by government or bank, what's the total value of that currency? The answer to that is, if it works, it's gotta be in the billions. It just has to be for all the reasons you might want to send money around the world.' This type of talk is common from Bitcoin enthusiasts but apparently seasoned investors are starting to agree. Forbes explains the details of their business plan but in short it has to do with tapping the GPU mining potential of gamers, more specifically gamers of free-to-play games. This would add a new revenue stream for online game companies that are trying to provide free games profitably."

My submission btw. 3 out of 4 have reached the front page so far. Smiley
Jump to: