Author

Topic: 2012-04-27 The drug's in the mail (Read 1800 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
April 30, 2012, 12:24:35 PM
This is not directly related to this particular article, but:
I wonder if Silk Road is not much greater an innovation than we can imagine a first glance.  I mean, if drug dealers are unknown, even for their clients, then they are probably unknown from one another.  As a consequence, they can not use violence to impose themselves on the market.  So in a way, Silk road style drug traffic could eradicate violence in the drug business, which would be tremendously good in my humble opinion.

"Eradicate violence in drug business" might be too much to expect, but if this business model grows, it can be tremendously good, yes.
The producers of drug themselves can sell the drugs directly. There's less need for a complex traffic network, carrying drugs all around the world from producers to consumers, frequently in different continents. This could considerably decrease violence, as you note. Not to mention the increase in customer's choice, quality of the product (gets you more high and/or less harmful to your health) etc.

I love what SR is doing, even though I've never bought anything there.

The main hurdle I see in this all are the mail carriers. If such business models grows enough, law enforcement will inspect with much more care every package that goes by. Some people propose anonymous mail carriers, maybe one day they'll exist...
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
April 27, 2012, 08:11:08 AM
The Project - chan 10 had a SR article tonight, Bitcoin was mentioned.
 I'm asking AU ppl to tweet theprojecttv and tell them to do a proper BTC story - BTC is way bigger than SR Smiley

You can watch the recording SR part starts at 2:57:
http://theprojecttv.com.au/video.htm?movideo_p=39696&movideo_m=183439
April 27, 2012, 07:52:47 AM
[...]
So in a way, Silk road style drug traffic could eradicate violence in the drug business, which would be tremendously good in my humble opinion.
It is an interesting observation. I recently have seen "Cocaine Cowboys". The bottom line of the movie is regret of drug traffickers for turning their paradise into hell. They were making insane profits outside of the law, then they had nothing to govern themselves but violence. While drug trafficking was swallowable for the community they were living in (but not to wider community), violence was not.
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
April 27, 2012, 07:42:11 AM
The Project - chan 10 had a SR article tonight, Bitcoin was mentioned.
 I'm asking AU ppl to tweet theprojecttv and tell them to do a proper BTC story - BTC is way bigger than SR Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076
April 27, 2012, 04:43:55 AM
This is not directly related to this particular article, but:
I wonder if Silk Road is not much greater an innovation than we can realize at first glance.  I mean, if drug dealers are unknown, even for their clients, then they are probably unknown from one another.  As a consequence, they can not use violence to impose themselves on the market.  So in a way, Silk road style drug traffic could eradicate violence in the drug business, which would be tremendously good in my humble opinion.
April 26, 2012, 09:10:55 PM
The drug's in the mail

April 27, 2012, Eileen Ormsby

More Australians are buying illegal drugs from internet websites and having them delivered by regular post straight to their door. Eileen Ormsby reports on the new frontier of drug dealing.

IT'S JUST like eBay, complete with vendor feedback, sales, prize giveaways, gift certificates, and escrow and dispute resolution services. But Silk Road doesn't sell CDs or used clothing - it's a one-stop, internet shop for illegal drugs. Buyers quoted on the site's forums say the drugs are cheaper and of higher quality. Customers are also keen on the fact that they no longer have to meet an unknown dealer in a dark alley somewhere.
[...]

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/the-drugs-in-the-mail-20120426-1xnth.html
Jump to: