Author

Topic: 2012-10-08 scientificamerican.com - 3 Years in, Bitcoin Digital Money Gains Mome (Read 2336 times)

Activity: 526
Merit: 500
Personally, I was thrilled to see myself ("Vancouver massage therapist") mentioned, even if briefly, they linked to my website too!  I've always loved Scientific American, now even more.  Finally some positive feedback regarding accepting bitcoin!  I was getting used to the confused faces and funny looks.
Activity: 342
Merit: 250
At the end of his speech, Garzik rallied for the currency and asked for patience over the long haul. "'How long did it take to create the euro, implement the euro, widely distribute the currency, widely distribute the cash registers,point-of-sales systems—all of that stuff,"' he asked. "'It took years and years. And so one cannot reasonably expect Bitcoin to be an immediate success in two years."'

Well, it certainly didn't take them very long to trash the euro. I would hope we're setting our sights a little higher.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
Amazing: there are 17 comments right now, eight of which are written by "RSchmidt" and are extremely negative and misleading. What a stubborn guy. If you can spare a minute, share your own experience in the comments. I suggest not responding to RSchmidt at all, simply provide your perspective on the article and Bitcoin in general.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
Anyone else have trouble posting in the comments? I made an account and then posted and it doesn't show. At first I thought delay, but now it's been a while. Guess I'll repost in a bit.

legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
agreed, that was a very nice article! From someone actually knowledgeable on the subject!
Activity: 187
Merit: 100
It was an enjoyable read, nice!
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
Good article but I'm afraid the early part on hashing might get many readers loose appetite as she had to stay so much on the surface that it is actually barely understandable without a background in bitcoins.
(aka /sub. Yes, I know there is the watch feature but for some reason some threads exclusively show up in the list of unread replies. Merge these two lists and I post less Wink )
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Morgen has been following bitcoin for a while.  I first met her at the NY Bitcoin conference, and she was in London and talking to many people there, doing good research.  She's good.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
A great article, very nice!  Grin Who wrote it took time to learn about it!
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
One of the best articles yet, and in Scientific American no less!
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
That was a very solid article. In depth, high level. Very positive as well.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
3 Years in, Bitcoin Digital Money Gains Momentum
The digital currency exchange network now includes more than 1,000 merchants and at least tens of thousands of unaffiliated users, as it tries to solve barriers to participation

Morgen Peck
2012-10-08

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=3-years-in-bitcoin-digital-money-gains-momentum

Bitcoin developers are quickly proving that they can design decentralized alternatives to even the most sophisticated financial institutions. But some are building applications that use money in ways that had never before been possible in the digital world.
Jump to: