Author

Topic: 2013-03-21 Bloomberg - Sorry, Bitcoin Isn’t a ‘Currency’ (Read 1601 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Then he should do articles about Girls gone Bitcoin, tons of views guaranted  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
The prepared hit piece was designed to highlight scary monster FUD without bring too much attention. The comment section alone is a gem!

Maybe more like :

Boss to Mark: Mark, I like you and all, but your pieces hardly get any views or comments.  I need this to change !
Mark: Owkay....
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Kk, it isn't a currency, kthxbye

Btw, if it is not a currency then the fincen blablabla about money transmitter is nonsense, am i right?  Roll Eyes
Activity: 430
Merit: 250
The "oh no, it's only being used to buy drugs" argument is really getting old.
Activity: 931
Merit: 500
I forgive him.

Bitcoin isn't a currency. Fine by me. I'll continue to use it.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
bitcoin - the aerogel of money
He's right.

Bitcoin can't be categorized as currency. It can't be categorized as anything. It's a class of its own. A singleton.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes
The guy is past 40..... Give him a break  Cool
Activity: 215
Merit: 100
Shamantastic!
The prepared hit piece was designed to highlight scary monster FUD without bring too much attention. The comment section alone is a gem!
Activity: 898
Merit: 1000
I'm thinking more in terms of the potential for growth. So yeah, there's loads of places now accepting bitcoin as payment, but there's still a long way to go before it becomes a mainstream way of paying for things online.

I quite often here the argument that processors such as bitpay convert to fiat straight away, so essentially you're just paying in fiat. Although this is true at the moment, it seems a very short-sighted view to me. The point is, once you realise the convenience of bitcoin, it's the conversion from bitcoin to fiat which becomes the unnecessary step.
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
I guess he's right at the moment. What annoys me is that he probably hasn't used bitcoin to make a purchase before. I have a feeling that anyone who has actually used bitcoin to purchase something online will realise straight away how much more convenient it is.

Right? How can he be right? He says people only spend bitcoins on Silk Road, and trade on exchanges.

There are thousand of merchants accepting Bitcoin listed at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade

BitPay, a Bitcoin to USD payment gateway, has more than a thousand merchants as customers: https://bitpay.com/

Obviously he is very wrong. People spend bitcoins at all these places. These thousands of merchants are not just popping up and making zero sales.
donator
Activity: 994
Bitcoin right now is as useless/useful as gold. So in a sense he is right.

Problem is, metals and cryptocurrencies will be all what's left after the paper crash.
Um, I beg to differ. Bitcoin is already a lot more useful than gold. I can't electronically transfer gold to PIzzaForCoins.com for dinner.
http://www.gold-speculator.com/munknee/83644-now-available-debit-cards-backed-actual-gold-silver.html (not available in the US though)
That's cool, but I'm in the US.
And I suppose PIzzaForCoins.com is a US-only service... Well we're getting there. Dunno why a gold-backed debit card would not be allowed in the US. I guess they're afraid that it may become a fashion and they'll run into trouble manipulating the gold price.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

Problem is, metals and cryptocurrencies will be all what's left after the paper crash.
Um, I beg to differ. Bitcoin is already a lot more useful than gold. I can't electronically transfer gold to PIzzaForCoins.com for dinner.
http://www.gold-speculator.com/munknee/83644-now-available-debit-cards-backed-actual-gold-silver.html (not available in the US though)
That's cool, but I'm in the US.
donator

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

I guess he's right at the moment. What annoys me is that he probably hasn't used bitcoin to make a purchase before. I have a feeling that anyone who has actually used bitcoin to purchase something online will realise straight away how much more convenient it is.
donator

Unfortunately  it’s missing the most essential aspect of money: it’s not useful for buying anything.

This person has clearly never attempted to buy anything using bitcoin. If they had, they would realise how much simpler it makes things.
legendary
Activity: 916
Merit: 1003
And yet the MSM are keeping closer and closer track of BTC aren't they?  Wink
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
http://go.bloomberg.com/market-now/2013/03/21/sorry-bitcoin-isnt-a-currency/

Did you miss the plain old fud ?  Here we go :

Businessweek‘s Bernhard Warner reports on the surge in Bitcoin interest as Europeans wonder if their money is safe in the wake of the Cyprus deposit tax fiasco.
One place where it’s not safe is in Bitcoin.
Jump to: