Author

Topic: 2013-03-30 The Spectator - How Bitcoin could destroy the state (Read 4576 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
Bitcoin may use new technology but trust, privacy and peer-to-peer are as old as Adam and Eve.

I especially liked this one Grin
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/hugo-rifkind/8874321/how-bitcoin-could-destroy-the-state-and-perhaps-make-me-a-bit-of-money/

Last time I was here (two weeks ago; how’ve you been?) I briefly mentioned Bitcoin, an emerging internet currency I didn’t understand at all but via which I had nonetheless made a bit of money (£57). Since then, I’ve been reading up and the whole thing has gone supernova, largely thanks to the extent that the EU is dicking around with real money in Cyprus. God, but I’m just bang on trend, aren’t I? Good old me.

Great article, pleasure to read and I absolutely loved this quote:

Whereas actually, because most of us can’t begin to understand the maths that all these very clever programmer types insist is at the heart of the whole project, I suspect the true alternative is just outsourcing your trust to them. Still, there are apparently a lot of programmer types, and everything they do is being scrutinised by other programmer types, because none of them have anything better to do, because they don’t have girlfriends. So I’m not sure that’s necessarily unwise. You might call it the morality of crowds. I think it’s the future.

Also, the article is second most read and first most shared.

Edit: the comments are well worth reading as well. Many perceive the article as being somewhat leftist and negative towards Bitcoin (although personally, I regarded it as a sane and pleasantly sceptical point of view).
Jump to: