Author

Topic: 2013-04-19 CNN - Bitcoin bubble re-inflates (Read 1734 times)

Activity: 451
Merit: 250
April 19, 2013, 08:27:24 PM
"the whims of demand"

oh no!
Activity: 215
Merit: 100
Shamantastic!
Is there a word for a bubble that keeps popping but never dies?
S curve

Interesting choice of words, "S curve."
That is exactly what I was looking for when I discovered Bitcoin in April 2010. Disruptive Technology with the caveat of creating a more stable, robust monetary standard. How interesting looking back - how much more interesting looking forward!

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
Bubble is an ill-defined, vague over-used term .... therefore media ignorami love to throw it around since it is risk-free meaningless accusation. It can be heavily over-bought and over-sold.

At this stage it is behaving like a cyclic asset class ... i.e. a commodity. With phases of temporary euphoric mania and network adoption boosts thrown in to spice things up. All happening on an accelerated time-scale to all traditional market commodities due to internet communications being the medium of information exchange and, most significantly, also the means of asset commodity transport.

For how many market participants can barrels of oil or ounces of gold can be physically delivered and trade settled for in under and hour? Very, very few. bitcoin gives the masses a means to secure and transport value in a way, that up until now, only central banks and a very wealthy few have ever enjoyed.

+1 very well said wise Sir!
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Bubble is an ill-defined, vague over-used term .... therefore media ignorami love to throw it around since it is risk-free meaningless accusation. It can be heavily over-bought and over-sold.

At this stage it is behaving like a cyclic asset class ... i.e. a commodity. With phases of temporary euphoric mania and network adoption boosts thrown in to spice things up. All happening on an accelerated time-scale to all traditional market commodities due to internet communications being the medium of information exchange and, most significantly, also the means of asset commodity transport. 24 hour global trading keeps it humming along too.

For how many market participants can barrels of oil or ounces of gold can be physically delivered upon and trade settled in under an hour? Very, very few. bitcoin gives the masses a means to secure and transport value in a way, that up until now, only central banks and a very wealthy few have ever enjoyed.
legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments

It must be a giant elastic, rubber bubble.   
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
Bubbles don't "pop and pop". They pop once, and its over -- for good. This author is a complete idiot.

Might as well write "Horse and Buggy Gazette - Horseless Carriages Hopeless Fad, Expensive" for how out-of-touch they are.

Never trust a horseless conveyance I always saw.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
Bubbles don't "pop and pop". They pop once, and its over -- for good. This author is a complete idiot.

Might as well write "Horse and Buggy Gazette - Horseless Carriages Hopeless Fad, Expensive" for how out-of-touch they are.
Activity: 504
S curve
Bubble bath?
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
S curve
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

Highly volatile long term asset appreciation.

Er that is 5 words.
Activity: 280
Activity: 509
Merit: 564
"In Us We Trust"
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Asset goes up = bubble inflating.
Asset goes down = bubble bursting.
Obviously those are the only two states possible.

I wonder if they apply the same definitions to the stock market as well.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
QUOTE:

"It's a bubble which unfortunately pops and pops and pops until one day it either loses credibility or the supply reaches the total maximum they predicted, which is 21 million," he said.

Predicted 21 million?? How I like when dumb economist don't understand anything. Fire him ! Fire him with ice!
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
So, every time there is a temporary downward trend, the bubble popped? Even if it settles down higher than previous highs?

Granted, it is very difficult to tell if something is a bubble while in the middle of it. But the media seems to be very quick to label things they don't like a bubble, while ignoring real bubbles that benefit them and will only hurt the rest of us when they pop.
Activity: 504
The bubble didn't burst completely so it's a patched bubble now?

Offensive headline in my opinion!
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
>implying it is again a bubble  Grin
Jump to: