Author

Topic: 2013-06-24 Britain’s Bitcoin Pubs Let You Binge-Drink Yourself Unconscious (Read 1010 times)

legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952
Gizmodo has always hated Bitcoin, even way back. It isn't any surprise that if there isn't something to write about bitcoin that can be cast in a bad light, they won't be posting it.

Just part of the mouth-breather network they have, including Gawker, etc..

Thanks. I knew nothing about them, but I'm beginning to get it after looking around a bit.

"Gawker's Nick Denton Explains Why Invasion of Privacy Is Positive for Society"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/gawkers-nick-denton-explains-why-526548

Their livelihood appears to depend on their ability to "crack" people's privacy - BTC would not be their friend.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
If you can still manage to send bitcoins from your wallet to the bar, I say that you're still able to drink!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
Gizmodo has always hated Bitcoin, even way back. It isn't any surprise that if there isn't something to write about bitcoin that can be cast in a bad light, they won't be posting it.

Just part of the mouth-breather network they have, including Gawker, etc..
legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952
Talk about scare tactic title! 

I thought these bars had sold too many pints to some people... nope.

I think your shortening of the title to drop the "in-anonymity" part changes the meaning...

Agreed, but there's a size limit to the title box that probably affected OP's options.

The full title is absurd though, as it invites a contrast to cash, where you can also blah blah in complete anonymity.

The article seems to be a clumsy unfocused slash at Bitcoin - "imaginary cloud money".

I always wonder why these media hit pieces appear - who requests them and why.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
Talk about scare tactic title! 

I thought these bars had sold too many pints to some people... nope.

I think your shortening of the title to drop the "in-anonymity" part changes the meaning...
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/06/britains-bitcoin-pubs-let-you-binge-drink-yourself-unconscious-in-complete-anonymity/
The Pembury Tavern in Hackney and its three sister pubs in the south east are under the management of Stephen Early, who is a former computer scientist. Now we understand. Stephen purchased a chunk of Bitcoins a couple of years ago, leaving the virtual cash to languish in his virtual wallet (and appreciate in value by a factor of 20) due to not being able to find anything to spend them on at the time.
Jump to: