Author

Topic: ​2013-07-25—TED Talks—Alternative currency (Read 1652 times)

legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
Nice video.

I did get the distinct impression that he was advocating privatized currency ecosystems, but they all fall flat when it comes to their centralized nature. If a given company actually had some way to make a government feel threatened, that their scrip was better than the state, you can be sure a few phone calls later the program would be wound down and they'd concede defeat if the government demanded it.

This also raises the interesting possibility that greedy corporations could become the ultimate smokescreen, where bitcoin continues to flourish, but since most lawmakers barely grasp the internet in general, the corporate monetary systems would be under fire because of their public and central nature - and draw heat off the REAL competitor, which of course is BTC.

Go ahead amazon, etc... make your systems, we need the 'chaff' to provide us some cover for a bit before we're invincible.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
This is great! I think this will allow young people to at least know that some form of alternative currency actually exists out there. Maybe this being a TED Talks topic will make bitcoin use seem more "trendy."
Activity: 715
Merit: 500
This no longer links to the appropriate video. Here is a working link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb-ts8fUhB8

Great video though. Thanks for sharing.
Activity: 321
Merit: 250
Bitbuy.nl!
Great video!  I like the fact that there are over a million followers of Ted Talks.  Perhaps this will be a great boost for Bitcoin.  Am I right to assume most of the Ted Talks viewers have a decent amount of money they could invest in BTC?

Interesting points:  People do not trust banks.  45% of people are willing to try a decentralized currency. 

I assume most Ted Talks viewers already know Bitcoin. Still helps though!
WiW
Activity: 277
"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"
Thank you. Awesome.
Activity: 392
♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫
Great find, thank you, I love TED talks.

$20 in liquid Tide for $10 in cr@k or w33d?

Addicts are weird, I remember the good old days when we used to pay in usd
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
He speaks in code. After all, he is advertising. He states that the best performing currency is Bitcoin after setting up a teaser so people will pay attention. Smart. He then talks about the branding of money and challenges corporations to take the FED head on. Ha! He knows only Bitcoin can do that successfully.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Great video!  I like the fact that there are over a million followers of Ted Talks.  Perhaps this will be a great boost for Bitcoin.  Am I right to assume most of the Ted Talks viewers have a decent amount of money they could invest in BTC?

Interesting points:  People do not trust banks.  45% of people are willing to try a decentralized currency. 
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
not TEDx? wow

ok, the message and purpose seems to be for corporations to look and learn; the idea of brands issuing their own currencies (promises/credit) is not new, but just how the hell can they make them as cool as Bitcoin?
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
Flood gates are opening.  More and more people are hearing about bitcoin.  You could see the curiosity of the audience when they were panning around.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Nice.  We've had presenters in TEDx-es in the past, but unless I'm mistaken this is the first mention of Bitcoin in TEDGlobal? 

Milestones keep falling.  Sooner or later we will see a Matonis (or equivalent) pitching Bitcoin at the main TED in California.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076
Paul Kemp-Robertson's TED talk; quite informed and interesting.
First minute or so is about Bitcoin. Quite positive.
Jump to: