Author

Topic: 2013-11-29 Financial Times: Alderney to cash in on Bitcoins with Royal Mint (Read 3405 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
What is this? It sounds like an even worse idea than the physical bitcoins we already have. As I understand it, you don't even get control of the private keys, the coin is just backed by a promise to pay the holder in "virtual" Bitcoins if they visit the damn island. What the hell?

Yes, it's just like the Gold Standard system in that way, just replace "private keys" with bullion and "damn island" with central bank.

Ironically the article seems to get the "virtual" vs. "real" distinction the wrong way around. The only virtual bitcoins here are the ones imaginarily controlled by these coins. This makes so little sense I wonder if the author got their facts wrong.

Possible trolling scheme to confuse everyone even more about how Bitcoin works. We'll be able to tell when we see the full extent to which this scheme gets publicised.

One possibility that isn't accounted for: what if Bitcoin goes to da moon and gold languishes below $1000? Then what will the Alderney mint do when people turn up on the boat, wanting to cash in to their mobile wallets? Sounds like a potential fiat "Bitcoin Standard" to me. "The Bitcoin window is closed", lol!
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
What is this? It sounds like an even worse idea than the physical bitcoins we already have. As I understand it, you don't even get control of the private keys, the coin is just backed by a promise to pay the holder in "virtual" Bitcoins if they visit the damn island. What the hell?

It's absolutely ridiculous. I think bitcoin.org should add Alderney to the online wallets list
legendary
Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

Ironically the article seems to get the "virtual" vs. "real" distinction the wrong way around. The only virtual bitcoins here are the ones imaginarily controlled by these coins. This makes so little sense I wonder if the author got their facts wrong.
legendary
Do they know something we don't? Are they trying to beat another government to the punch? (Can't help but think that now... hmm...)

There's a good case for that. China are pulling everyone's strings right now. The whole "quantitative easing" balance sheet expansion is being led by Central Bank of China, and has been the whole time. You could argue that they forced everyone else into it.

China is the majority manufacturing base of the world, however unreliable their economic statistics are, and they're protecting themselves from the influence of the rest of the world by devaluing their currency while simultaneously doing all they can to back the spread of a decentralised worldwide currency system. Smart moves from the CCCP.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
I'm reserving judgement until we actually see the real thing happen. This is very close to a sovereign endorsement of bitcoin, and therefore I'm a bit leery of the "any time now" tone of the article. It would be one of the last things I'd expect to happen with bitcoin before mainstream adoption.

If it happens, great, sets precedent - even if it doesn't, the fact that the conversation is even happening is very encouraging. Do they know something we don't? Are they trying to beat another government to the punch? (Can't help but think that now... hmm...)
Activity: 531
Merit: 501
It's the sub-story on the front page of the weekend edition. The FT are treating this as a scoop.

https://twitter.com/FT/status/406556997468057601/photo/1/large
legendary
May not affect btc price but will aid the market in btc collectibles

I think it could indirectly affect the price.

British Royal Mint (and subsidiaries, Alderney Mint being one of them) is a pretty exclusive, conservative sort of organisation. The typical British snob (the sort that watches all the Royal pageants and ceremonies on television) will take this as a sign that Bitcoin is legitimate, just because of the associative value.

This is just about the last thing I was expecting to ever see, and I mean that literally. Out of all Bitcoin developments in it's adoption phase, this should be the very absolute last one. If it happened at all. Very strange.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
May not affect btc price but will aid the market in btc collectibles

All news is good news
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
This is HUGE. UK Channel Island (tax haven) Alderney plans to produce physical bitcoins in partnership with the Royal Mint (which produces UK coinage)

This is one big nonsense and it's not even good news for bitcoin imho. I doubt it will even create a notable pr buzz.
Activity: 715
Merit: 500
This is awesome news. It makes me wish I had bought some Casascius coins back in the day. Or maybe I just always wish I had bought some Casascius coins.
legendary
That looks like really fantastic news for those of us struggling to find a reliable exchange, but how do we know this isn't just some sensationalist crap designed to get more views? There is a pay wall there after all, I know you guys are searching all over the place for this stuff but unless it's public already it's more rumour and speculation than actual confirmed news.

That's partly what makes this interesting. There's a very confused editorial policy on Bitcoin at the Financial Times. With this story, they appear to have gone out of their way to scoop a story with a strange kind of positive angle... And I would guess that the top dog British finance newspaper would have the contacts at the various British Crown Dependency tax havens who are capable of floating such a move... and there's where the story itself becomes even stranger, as it's literally nothing more than a preliminary proposal, they even list the details of which various levels of sign-off that the possible venture would need to become reality. No third party to provide the actual BTC aspect of the coins is mentioned, and that's because they're considering creating one for the purpose.

What are the FT doing? Is this a volte-face from the "tulip mania" comparisons? And how strange is it to be making this kind of announcement, from this stage of this kind of enterprise? It's easily the most curious Bitcoin article so far. Who made the decision to run this story!?!?!?
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
That looks like really fantastic news for those of us struggling to find a reliable exchange, but how do we know this isn't just some sensationalist crap designed to get more views? There is a pay wall there after all, I know you guys are searching all over the place for this stuff but unless it's public already it's more rumour and speculation than actual confirmed news.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010
In Satoshi I Trust
"The tiny Channel Island of Alderney is launching an audacious bid to become the first jurisdiction to mint physical Bitcoins, amid a global race to capitalise on the booming virtual currency.

The three-mile long British crown dependency has been working on plans to issue physical Bitcoins in partnership with the UK’s Royal Mint since the summer, according to documents seen by the Financial Times.

It wants to launch itself as the first international centre for Bitcoin transactions by setting up a cluster of services that are compliant with anti-money laundering rules, including exchanges, payment services and a Bitcoin storage vault.

The special Bitcoin would be part of the Royal Mint’s commemorative collection, which includes limited edition coins and stamps that are normally bought by collectors. It would have a gold content – a figure of £500-worth has been proposed – so that holders could conceivably melt and sell the metal if the exchange value of the currency were to collapse.

The hype surrounding Bitcoin has escalated in recent months and its market value has rocketed; the price of a single Bitcoin hit a new peak of $1,242 on Friday on the Mt Gox exchange, established in Tokyo in 2009 as a trading card exchange.

Critics warn of a speculative bubble although its proponents believe that the currency could be widely adopted as a method of making payments outside the traditional banking system. Ben Bernanke, chairman of the Federal Reserve, and other government officials around the world have said virtual currencies could have benefits if they can be regulated to prevent money laundering.

Holders of the Alderney Bitcoin would not be able to spend it in stores but would be able to exchange it for a virtual Bitcoin by travelling to the island.

Alderney hopes that by minting the first physical Bitcoin it will raise its profile as the “go-to” destination for the virtual currency, as it seeks to expand its offshore credentials beyond the online gambling sector.

David Janczewski, head of new business at the Royal Mint confirmed it had been approached by the finance minister of Alderney to “explore the possibility of manufacturing a physical commemorative coin with a Bitcoin theme”.

“Discussions have not progressed further and at this stage it remains nothing more than a concept,” he added.

But the controversy around Bitcoin has made the Alderney plan a sensitive subject. The Treasury, which owns the Royal Mint, declined to comment on the plans. George Osborne, the British chancellor, also holds the title of Master of the Mint.

The plans have been steered by chairman of the island’s finance committee, and are understood to have the support of Alderney’s president, although they still need to be approved by the island’s 10-member parliament.

A number of private companies have produced physical Bitcoins, although they are not backed by an official mint. Instead they feature a holographic strip, which is peeled off to reveal the private key then redeemed online.

How would Alderney’s plan work?

An independent company will provide the Bitcoins. If the price plunged, neither Alderney nor the Royal Mint would lose anything.

The company would put the Bitcoins in an escrow account at an agreed price.

Meanwhile, the Royal Mint would take customers’ orders for its minted Bitcoins and receive money from those coin sales.

The virtual Bitcoins backing the physical coins would be held in digital storage facilities by Alderney.

The Mint would issue the commemorative Bitcoin, paying for the value of the gold content itself. Alderney would receive royalties from sales of the coins.

Coins could be redeemed for sterling at any point in Alderney for the price of a Bitcoin on that day."

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/4903fc9a-591f-11e3-a7cb-00144feabdc0.html

wow, nice news! crypto drives the world  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
100 satoshis -> ISO code
This is HUGE. UK Channel Island (tax haven) Alderney plans to produce physical bitcoins in partnership with the Royal Mint (which produces UK coinage)

Alderney looks to cash in on virtual Bitcoins with Royal Mint reality
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4903fc9a-591f-11e3-a7cb-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2lvy0Anux

An unbelievable vote of confidence in Bitcoin. Might not happen, but they are looking at providing exchange services too.
Jump to: