Author

Topic: 2013-12-10 MacRumors - Apple's Tumultuous Relationship with Bitcoin Apps (Read 1052 times)

Activity: 114
Merit: 10
You can't be Serious?!?
I agree with the posters above and want add that companies like apple are losing customers to android. (I switched - love my note 3 ... I can view websites now full screen lol)  Also, the pro active security on Android is great too... But really how much bitcoin do you really need on your phone to buy coffee, lunch, etc? I keep less than $100...

Any company that dictates what I can and cannot use is utterly ridiculous.  All hail Linux.  Grin

TC
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
Apple is a corporation. Corporations are pussies when it comes to doing things they aren't sure are sanctioned by the countries they operate in. (Unless you're a bank, then they launder funds whenever they want.) So, Apple is being the predictable weasels when they pull Bitcoin-oriented apps, because someone in legal can't find justification for it. Also, it may impinge on a future product, so they're not too keen on that either.

Just use Android and avoid the big 'ol Apple. Even if google play won't let you host the app there, its easy enough to spread it around.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
We need to realize that at a very basic level Apple’s business model for IOS is fundamentally incompatible with Bitcoin. Let us not forget that the entire security model of Bitcoin is based on a decentralized network. A critical part of the security model for Bitcoin is that end users have full control over their computing devices. If one gives this control to a centralized "authority" namely Apple by the means of DRM then this defeats the entire security model of Bitcoin.

If the above is not a good enough reason one must also keep in mind that radical disruptive innovation will never take place on a platform where one has to get permission from the status quo in order to innovate.

The best solution is for the widespread adoption of Bitcoin to drive Apple with their DRM infected and censorship ridden IOS business model (which by the way is straight out of George Orwell's 1984) into bankruptcy.

When it comes to cryptography and security iOS did so much better than Android, I want to trust Android with my mobile wallet, I simply can't.

The security problem with Android regarding the quality of random numbers was actually fixed promptly by Google; however this did not mean that the patches were uploaded by the telcos. Those who broke the DRM by rooting their phones and unlocking the bootloaders were of course able to apply the security patch. What is critical to understand here is that in order to have security in Android one had to break the DRM. Android is the least worse solution in mobile; however it can be made secure if one take over control of the device away from the manufacturers and telcos by rooting.  The best solution for Bticion safety is of course GNU/Linux; however until something like Ubuntu phone OS starts to become popular Android is by far the best option in mobile.

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Ben is afraid to update the app because it would trigger a re-review. The whole situation with Apple is a disaster, but fortunately iOS is getting its ass kicked pretty much everywhere outside the USA. In Germany iPhone's market share is about tied with Windows Phone at about 10% each, in Spain iOS and Windows Phone combined are actually less than 10% of the market.

In poorer countries iOS is likewise absent.

At this point, it's primarily places like America and the UK where iOS still has serious market share. Hopefully over time that problem will resolve itself.

i wouldn't say it's absent.. it's considered more of a premium product. that's the perception, at least. and to be sure, apple charges you as if it were.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
I'm guessing that Apple is probably looking at creating their own digital currency, and doesn't want to back anything they can profit off of.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
We need to realize that at a very basic level Apple’s business model for IOS is fundamentally incompatible with Bitcoin. Let us not forget that the entire security model of Bitcoin is based on a decentralized network. A critical part of the security model for Bitcoin is that end users have full control over their computing devices. If one gives this control to a centralized "authority" namely Apple by the means of DRM then this defeats the entire security model of Bitcoin.

If the above is not a good enough reason one must also keep in mind that radical disruptive innovation will never take place on a platform where one has to get permission from the status quo in order to innovate.

The best solution is for the widespread adoption of Bitcoin to drive Apple with their DRM infected and censorship ridden IOS business model (which by the way is straight out of George Orwell's 1984) into bankruptcy.

When it comes to cryptography and security iOS did so much better than Android, I want to trust Android with my mobile wallet, I simply can't.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments
... Hopefully over time that problem will resolve itself.
lol. This has never been a problem for me, and I'm pretty sure it will never be  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
Ben is afraid to update the app because it would trigger a re-review. The whole situation with Apple is a disaster, but fortunately iOS is getting its ass kicked pretty much everywhere outside the USA. In Germany iPhone's market share is about tied with Windows Phone at about 10% each, in Spain iOS and Windows Phone combined are actually less than 10% of the market.

In poorer countries iOS is likewise absent.

At this point, it's primarily places like America and the UK where iOS still has serious market share. Hopefully over time that problem will resolve itself.
Activity: 551
Merit: 501
I'm confused. I  have the blockchain app on my old 3GS. I've just done a search in the App Store and the app still seems to be there, though oddly there does not seem to have been any update to it since July 2012.

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com
Don't know why Apple is after Bitcoins  Angry
I do have a good price ticker on my iPhone, though more BTC apps would have been there if Apple wasn't so hard on some devs.
legendary
Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299
A nice overview of Apple and Bitcoin's history and speculation on the causes:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/09/apples-tumultuous-relationship-with-bitcoin-apps/
Jump to: