Author

Topic: 2014-01-07 CNN International - World's second Bitcoin ATM to open in Hong Kong (Read 836 times)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10
Software Engineer
...The only problem is that it's the last country on the world that needs bitcoin. It and Singapore have such strong currencies and hands-off government regulation that I wouldn't be surprised if they are the last two countries to adopt bitcoin.
That's only if you think bitcoin is only useful as a replacement base-currency.  What about making international payments/micropayments, or low-fee currency transfers?  Plus, it opens the door for potential investors.  Not this one ATM machine, but a liberal policy towards BTC does.
Activity: 526
Merit: 508
My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck
For those of you who are familiar with HK monetary policy, it should be no surprise at all that they'd allow bitcoin in full usage there.

...The only problem is that it's the last country on the world that needs bitcoin. It and Singapore have such strong currencies and hands-off government regulation that I wouldn't be surprised if they are the last two countries to adopt bitcoin.

I guess this is news, but it's not particularly helpful to our cause.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
Aren't there like many ATMs now?

I saw a lamasu at the last nordic bitcoin conference.

I'm guessing there's a map of them somewhere...

https://lamassu.is/maps/

Not many details, and I'm not sure if these are functional yet.

Robocoin is who made the Vanouver machine I believe.  And as far as I can tell, this is the only machine confirmed operating at this moment.
Activity: 815
Merit: 1000
Aren't there like many ATMs now?

I saw a lamasu at the last nordic bitcoin conference.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015
We'll wait and see. I'm not going to hold my breath.

Hong Kong bans them in 3...2...1....
legendary
Activity: 960
Merit: 1028
Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.
Unfortunately, I can't get particularly excited about "to open". We've seen that before, and a lot of the time the opening never materializes.

Call me back when the first customer uses it.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
Software Engineer
Not much of event, as far as bringing huge amounts of new adopters, but considering the historical nature of this, and the fact that it was posted by CNN, I thought it was worth a mention:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/06/business/bitcoin-atm-hong-kong/

Also, it's promising that Hong Kong at least seems open to the idea of Bitcoin, at least as far as an ATM is concerned.
Jump to: