Author

Topic: [2014-05-05] Bitprize: BitID, authentication using bitcoin technology (Read 558 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 250
What are the benefits of BitID vs OAuth2? I'm currently implementing a new auth system for on my website. Looks like local login with OAuth for FB+Twitter is the current trend.

BitID has a higher security than most passwords. Passwords are stored in a wallet, no need for 'forgot your password'?.
In addition, the users is not required to have a FB+Twitter account, use activation email etc. Login can occur in 3 seconds, as you can simply scan a QR code.

Overall it can mean, more users for your system. The more forms they have to fill in, the earlier they leave the site  Smiley

Activity: 434
What are the benefits of BitID vs OAuth2? I'm currently implementing a new auth system for on my website. Looks like local login with OAuth for FB+Twitter is the current trend.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
BitID looks really exciting, as long as a website communicating with a desktop wallet doesn't invite security issues.
Activity: 518
BitID, an open authentication protocol using public-key cryptography, your id is your public address. An example login experience for the user could be, scan a QR code with a mobile phone and be directly logged in. Alternatively, you could login with a desktop wallet.

Source: bitprize.org
Jump to: