Author

Topic: [2014-06-16] Gizmodo: One User Controls Over Half of Bitcoin Mining—and That's a (Read 706 times)

legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
We've been Goxed again!

At least we're not saying we've been ghashed.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
Touchdown
Weeks, months or years of bad press ahead based on this (GHash letting itself get too big).

My only hope is that a proper fix is found.
Activity: 417
Merit: 250
Does anyone find it amusing that they cite "researchers from Cornell University" when the big news is something almost everyone here has heard about? How much research was involved in their "discovery?"  Smiley

Maybe it was Prof. Bitcorn from Cornell that was doing the research. Who knows?
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
Does anyone find it amusing that they cite "researchers from Cornell University" when the big news is something almost everyone here has heard about? How much research was involved in their "discovery?"  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
http://gizmodo.com/one-user-controls-over-half-of-bitcoin-mining-and-thats-1591328374/+jcondliffe

Ars Technica reports that researchers from Cornell University have noticed that single mining pool contributes over 51 percent of the currency's hashing—the cryptographic process required to mint Bitcoins—repeatedly, for periods of 12 hours or more. The user is GHash, which proudly names itself the "#1 Crypto & Bitcoin Mining Pool." Clearly it's not lying.

I think they are confused about "user" however, I suppose a pool should be looked at as a single point of operation, so it's not completely off...
Jump to: