Author

Topic: [2014-08-06] NASDAQ’s David LaValle: "Bitcoin ETF A Turning Point" (Read 1080 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
I think it has to attract some interest from serious traders. Some invest funds may through some money into it "for the fun of it" or to diversify their portfolios. Its incredible that a serious exchange offers a financial instruments based on bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006
By Cinthia Murphy | August 06, 2014

There are a lot of questions about the viability of, and the role that the Winklevoss twins’ Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust ETF (COIN) would play in a portfolio. The fund, which remains in the regulatory pipeline awaiting SEC approval, has certainly sparked a conversation about how far is too far when it comes to niche exposure, and [sic] peaked many investors’ interest.

But to David LaValle, vice president of transaction services for Nasdaq OMX and head of ETF business, the first-of-a-kind ETF is nothing short of yet another major innovation in the quickly growing ETF market. LaValle, who not only oversees the exchange-traded product platform at Nasdaq, but also faces off daily with issuers, liquidity providers and trading firms, argues that the bitcoin ETF—which will be listed on the Nasdaq—is a win-win for investors, traders, the issuer and the exchange itself.

ETF.com: The Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust would mark the first time an asset comes to market in an ETF wrapper before it does in a mutual fund. Is that significant?

David LaValle: I think it’s significant that we’re on the precipice of a new investable asset that’s coming to market or becoming available to investors first in the form of an ETF. In some ways, it gives the ETF credibility, and it accentuates many of the benefits of the ETF as an investment wrapper. To that extent, it’s important for the ETF industry.

ETF.com: One of the criticisms we hear about the concept of a bitcoin ETF is that you can own bitcoins directly pretty easily, so why would you want to pay the fees on top of it that come with an ETF wrapper?

LaValle: We view this ETF as an analogue to some of the physically backed commodity products in the industry. The IRS’ ruling classifying bitcoins as commodity and not a currency would also support that.

But perhaps as an investment tool, it’s more easily manageable for a retail investor to hold their investments all in investment products. You can make a similar analogy to gold: I could buy lots of gold coins and hold them physically as well, or I could purchase them through an investment product like an ETF.

There’s availability for accessing the investment in different ways, and each investor is able to pursue that investment thesis through whichever wrapper they’re comfortable with. But I think bringing it in an ETF wrapper gives bitcoins more credibility.

ETF.com: Will a bitcoin ETF have a broad appeal?

LaValle: (...)

http://www.etf.com/sections/features/22835-nasdaqs-lavalle-bitcoin-etf-a-turning-point.html
Jump to: