Author

Topic: [2014-1-28] More than Half of Americans Have No Idea What a Bitcoin Is (Read 681 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010
Ad maiora!
Respondents were also divided about whether the government should "ban Bitcoin or leave it alone." 12.9% were down with banning something that probably at least some of them had never heard of, while 16.1% hoped the government would not interfere.

Well I think that is telling of the sort of people they polled.
The TV game show "Family Feud" has been running since 1983, and I have yet to meet even one of the "hundred people surveyed"

makes you think, don't it?

anyway, most Americans don't know how any part of their financial system works, but they trust it and use it anyway. In this simple fact is the "killer app" that btc is waiting for...namely... get people to use it without really realizing they are using it. By the looks of things, the FED is working on a digital money transfer system to be implemented that way (seamless on consumer end, way cheap and fast on banker's end) but it wont be BTC.

Unless some devs or other brilliant person/people figure out how to bring BTC usability to everyone, regardless of their tech savvy, make it foolproof, even with some add-on that gives a reversibility function to transactions (or like multisig has escrow built in) the banksters will do it first and BTC will go the way of the dodo bird.

Activity: 274
Merit: 250
Respondents were also divided about whether the government should "ban Bitcoin or leave it alone." 12.9% were down with banning something that probably at least some of them had never heard of, while 16.1% hoped the government would not interfere.

Well I think that is telling of the sort of people they polled.
Activity: 536
Merit: 500
http://gizmodo.com/65-of-americans-have-no-idea-what-bitcoin-is-what-are-1682049930

This may seem low, considering all the media attention the cryptocurrency has. But there's no incentive here to downplay how well-known it is.

Such a profound lack of familiarity is particularly alarming," Coin Center wrote. Respondents were also divided about whether the government should "ban Bitcoin or leave it alone." 12.9% were down with banning something that probably at least some of them had never heard of, while 16.1% hoped the government would not interfere.
Jump to: