Author

Topic: 2015-03-16 "deep web" a mainstream movie about Bitcoin,Silk Road & Ross Ulbricht (Read 1023 times)

Activity: 731
Merit: 503
Libertas a calumnia
www.deepwebthemovie.com
Narrated by Keanu Reeves

Deep Web gives the inside story of one of the the most important and riveting digital crime sagas of the century -- the arrest of Ross William Ulbricht, the convicted 30-year-old entrepreneur accused to be 'Dread Pirate Roberts,' creator and operator of online black market Silk Road. The film explores how the brightest minds and thought leaders behind the Deep Web and Bitcoin are now caught in the crosshairs of the battle for control of a future inextricably linked to technology, with our digital rights hanging in the balance.

In addition to being the only film with exclusive access to the Ulbricht family, Deep Web features the core architects of the Deep Web; anarchistic cryptographers who developed the Deep Web’s tools for the military in the early 1990s; the dissident journalists and whistleblowers who immediately sought refuge in this seemingly secure environment; and the figures behind the rise of Silk Road, which combined the security of the Deep Web with the anonymity of cryptocurrency.

From Reddit:
I was blown away. They interview Andy Greenberg, Amir Taaki, Cody Wilson, and extensively featured the Ulbricht family. They covered the cypherpunks, mentioned austrian economics, Mises, and anarcho-capitalism multiple times. They interviewed the head of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. They gave a very accurate and largely favorable explanation of Bitcoin.

The focus of the film was basically the history of the Silk Road, the bust, and how unfair the government's trial of Ross was.

They even mentioned OpenBazaar (I almost dropped out of my seat).

Afterwards, they brought the director Alex Winters on stage, along with Lyn Ulbricht, Cody Wilson, Andy Greenberg and a few others. They talked and had a Q&A for ~20 minutes. Obviously, it was extremely positive towards Ulbricht's position and strongly attacked the trial.

This wasn't a Bitcoin conference or a libertarian gathering, this was a major film premiere at SXSW. It was a massive theater (easily more than 500 people) and standing room only, I had to wait in line for a half hour for a ticket.

I still can't believe what I saw. Amazing. Everyone needs to see this film.
Jump to: