Author

Topic: [2015-05-08] Bitcoin Extortion Group DD4BC Prompts Warning from Swiss Government (Read 1073 times)

M83
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
I always wonder what these groups would do, if the roles was swapped. Would they pay the group who is doing it to them?

Probably not, but they're not public targets and are always cowards hiding behind their computers anonymously. You can't give into these guys - they're essentially cyber terrorists and blackmailers. Websites just need to step up their security and ddos protection. I mean, there must be some ways to stop it or protect yourself. How does this forum do it?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
I always wonder what these groups would do, if the roles was swapped. Would they pay the group who is doing it to them?

What is stopping the group from doing a 2cnd or 3rd attack, after the first ransom was paid? They are really in a bad situation there...  Sad

There is always a reason why these things are being done... Companies in competition with these companies hiring hackers to attack or a political statement? ...or simply MONEY?

Whatever the reason... it's bad for us as a Bitcoin community.  Embarrassed

I always question myself that too. I think they wouldn't pay, and they would probably counter attack. And if you know how to attack... You must know how to defend yourself Smiley

These guys simply don't quit. They are either really persistent and don't mind earning their share from time to time with these things or everyone is lying when they say their demands are not met and they don't pay them.

I wonder what's really their motivation...

Every website or forum has to learn to counter these sorts of attacks and it is pointless paying them to stop because if you pay then they will either attack you again or someone else will when they know that you pay up.

Yeah, if you pay other hackers will be attracted. It sets a bad precedent for your website.
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
These guys simply don't quit. They are either really persistent and don't mind earning their share from time to time with these things or everyone is lying when they say their demands are not met and they don't pay them.

Every website or forum has to learn to counter these sorts of attacks and it is pointless paying them to stop because if you pay then they will either attack you again or someone else will when they know that you pay up.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073

What is stopping the group from doing a 2cnd or 3rd attack, after the first ransom was paid? They are really in a bad situation there...  Sad

There is always a reason why these things are being done... Companies in competition with these companies hiring hackers to attack or a political statement? ...or simply MONEY?

Whatever the reason... it's bad for us as a Bitcoin community.  Embarrassed

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
This is bad publicity for Bitcoin, but is there anything honest people can do to slow the trend?
Likely keep this outfit in the back of your mind and never do business with them i suppose? Call them out whenever you can I think is a decent option.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
This is bad publicity for Bitcoin, but is there anything honest people can do to slow the trend?
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

If I had to guess, I'd say they probably did get paid a few times, otherwise they wouldn't bother. This post confirms that, but it may as well be a lie:

From your trust feedback, I believe you have been doing this kind of extortion for a few months already. Have you ever got anything from it? Why don't you use your skills and knowledge on more positive stuff?

If I didn't get anything, I would stop doing this long time ago. Most admins simply pay, without complaining publicly...
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!
Bitcoin Extortion Group DD4BC Prompts Warning from Swiss Government

Extortionist group DD4BC appears to be connected to a new wave of distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks against organizations in Switzerland, New Zealand and Australia.

With the new attacks, the group is seeking 25 BTC from affected parties in exchange for relinquishing the flood of inbound data is issues that renders recipient websites inaccessible.

Most recently, DD4BC was named in an 8th May warning published by the Swiss Governmental Computer Emergency Response Team (GovCERT), a division of MELANI, a national agency focused on cybersecurity issues.

Full story: http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-extortion-dd4bc-new-zealand-ddos-attacks/
Jump to: