Author

Topic: [2015-06-19] ArsTechnica: After Bitcoin loan goes south, judge rules man must... (Read 663 times)

legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561
I must be brain dead or not seeing something right.  That amount of BTC to pay back only costs $2900 right now.

The judge must have valued the coins at the rate when the loan was made, or at the time the loan was due. Also included is interest and likely all the legal costs incurred by the lender.
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
I must be brain dead or not seeing something right.  That amount of BTC to pay back only costs $2900 right now.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
Has there been a judge Judy case involving Bitcoin yet?
legendary
Good to see that the person who lent the coins is actually going forward with justice... This just goes to show that people who come here to scam aren't inimputable, just because this is "magic internet money"... This is serious business. Unfortunately some people just see this as joke and an opportunity to scam.

Agree, too many victims choose to do nothing and just give up.

Although in this case, according to lender's lawyer it's uncertain whether he'll get his money back:

He admitted that it would be difficult to collect the money from the Kentucky man.

“Just because I get a judgement, it’s a piece of paper—I can try to put a lien on his house, take his car, but he has various homestead exemptions,” he added, citing a law in Kentucky and elsewhere that exists to protect homeowners with deceased spouses who owe money to creditors.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
Good to see that the person who lent the coins is actually going forward with justice... This just goes to show that people who come here to scam aren't inimputable, just because this is "magic internet money"... This is serious business. Unfortunately some people just see this as joke and an opportunity to scam.
legendary

After Bitcoin loan goes south, judge rules man must repay over $67,000

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/06/after-bitcoin-loan-goes-south-judge-rules-man-must-repay-over-67000/

A judge in rural Breathitt County, Kentucky (population: 13,878) ruled earlier this month that a local man who received a loan of 11.95 bitcoins in December 2013 must repay it, including interest, for a total amount of over $67,800 (about £42,600).

Back then, when the price of one bitcoin was rapidly rising and trading in the $800-$1,000 range, a Brazilian man named Daniel Kaminski de Souza loaned the bitcoins using a peer-to-peer bitcoin loan site called BTCJam. At the time of the loan, those bitcoins were worth about $10,000 (£6,300).

The borrower, Dennis Kerley, offered a 20 percent return to his lenders within a year. His plan was to use the money to buy bitcoin miners—obviously, it didn't work out. Kerley did not respond to Ars’ attempts to reach him on Thursday evening.
Jump to: