Author

Topic: [2015-10-14] Scottish national party will look into independent digital currency (Read 336 times)

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000
While I look forward to a sovereign state adopting some form of crypto, I'm leery of Scotland. They botched the independence vote, so the prospect of them uncoupling their economy and "trying again" to be independent doesn't seem to have much traction. To put it bluntly, all the older people in Scotland voted against it, so until they are long dead and buried, don't expect sudden bursts of freedom to be coming from that particular corner of the world.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but after the big let-down from the independence result, I'm far more cynical they'll succeed.
Haha, yep they all voted against independence so branching out and using their own currency really doesn't seem like it will be going anywhere.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074
A national cryptocurrency is a no go.

It's a bizarre concept. Don't know how these government policy spinners could come up with this stuff if they actually understood the essential difference in experience for the users of a "national cryptocurrency" and the prevalent system: none.

Cryptocurrency isn't about allowing independent governments to run a traditional money system given a spit-shine with some borrowed buzzwords; it's about breaking that link, about using money that is independent of government structure altogether.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
A national cryptocurrency is a no go. This has been proved in many cases previously. The Iceland coin is not known to most people now.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
While I look forward to a sovereign state adopting some form of crypto, I'm leery of Scotland. They botched the independence vote, so the prospect of them uncoupling their economy and "trying again" to be independent doesn't seem to have much traction. To put it bluntly, all the older people in Scotland voted against it, so until they are long dead and buried, don't expect sudden bursts of freedom to be coming from that particular corner of the world.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but after the big let-down from the independence result, I'm far more cynical they'll succeed.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Jump to: