Author

Topic: [2016-06-21] Bitfinex Outage Causes Bitcoin Price Flash Crash (Read 556 times)

Activity: 340
Merit: 250
Well it is down again, and the price fall again.
I hope it is really just network issues, as they state at the status page. https://bitfinex.statuspage.io/
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1174
Always remember the cause!
Anybody knows at least  how Bitfinex went down? What caused the outage? Any official statement , whatever? I took a look on the web everybody talks about the outage and how it caused the price to drop down and nothing about the cause Roll Eyes
Activity: 340
Merit: 250
It seems weird that Bitfinex coused the crash. It's a small exchange compared to Chinese exchanges. I don't think it has that much weight.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422
Bitfinex is probably the most important and renowned BTC exchange. It's normal that if finex crashes something will happen to the price.
It's really hard to trust any exchange nowadays
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
I think it's mainly the thing that people simply don't have trust in exchanges anymore. If for whatever reason an certain exchange goes offline for a short while, people directly think something bad as a hack has happened. And you see that back in the market as the price goes down quickly. That's why exchanges should improve their communication to their customers and the outside world.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
The Bitcoin price is dictated by the Chinese markets, a trend that has been visible for many years now. But is interesting to note how an issue at a US Bitcoin exchange can affect that market as well, even though Bitfinex does not support CNY trading. In the end, the Bitcoin price took a sharp nosedive when the exchange went dark for a brief period.

Luckily for all Bitcoin traders and enthusiasts around the world, the issue was resolved rather quickly. It is never positive to the Bitcoin price go down all of a sudden in such spectacular fashion, and it goes to show how reliant traders are on centralized exchange platforms. The Bitfinex outage hurt the OTC and futures market as well.

http://themerkle.com/bitfinex-outage-causes-bitcoin-price-flash-crash/
Jump to: