Author

Topic: [2016-10-14] Blockchain.info CEO: “Attackers Gained Access to our Accounts” (Read 466 times)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
blockchain.info seems to inhabit an awkward middle ground that doesn't really work for anyone. you're vulnerable at your end to people getting your details due to your own slackness. they're vulnerable at their end for the same reason.

fully centralized services suck but with the right one you're likely to be made whole if they're hacked, but maybe that needs to be put to the test properly, it didn't work for bitpay's stupidity.

when you're in full control the world is your oyster.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422
History repeats itself: no bitcoins are safe when stored via a third party online. It's as simple as it sounds. There are pleny of guides of how to safely store and manage bitcoins offline or, at least, with good wallets but it seems the average user doesn't care
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091
Blockchain.info CEO: “Attackers Gained Access to our Accounts”
Prominent bitcoin wallet provider  DO NOT POST SESC LINKS o saw downtime yesterday, following a “highly sophisticated attack” targeting its DNS servers.
It was the first notable instance of a sweeping DNS attack leading to a phishing trap in the bitcoin space, where attackers sought to gain credentials from Blockchain.info users.
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/blockchain-info-ceo-attackers-gained-access-accounts/

Yet another reason why you should keep your bitcoins in your own desktop wallet / cold storage.
Where there is centralization, there is a chance of failure.

Whatever exchange or online wallet service gets hacked, certain people don't seem to learn anything, or they simply don't care since storing coins there is "easy" for them. I don't know which of these silly reasons is worse. Either way, I am happy that all my coins are safe in offline storage. Smiley
Activity: 252
Merit: 100
So the hacker wanted to get the login details of customers and withdraw their coins with one swipe... incredible!
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
Prominent bitcoin wallet provider  DO NOT POST SESC LINKS o saw downtime yesterday, following a “highly sophisticated attack” targeting its DNS servers.
It was the first notable instance of a sweeping DNS attack leading to a phishing trap in the bitcoin space, where attackers sought to gain credentials from Blockchain.info users.
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/blockchain-info-ceo-attackers-gained-access-accounts/

Yet another reason why you should keep your bitcoins in your own desktop wallet / cold storage.
Where there is centralization, there is a chance of failure.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
I get this, when I try to access it through a secure browser : " Certificate verification problem detected " ... I wonder if their

certificate was compromised or if this is a indication that you are being directed to a site without this certificate... thus the error.  Huh

I do not save large amounts of bitcoins online, so this is not a problem for me, but I would be very cautious... if I did. Anyone else getting

this? .... I will not access any accounts on there, until we get the GO from them that it was sorted.  Huh
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
Prominent bitcoin wallet provider Blockchain.info saw downtime yesterday, following a “highly sophisticated attack” targeting its DNS servers.
Jump to: