Author

Topic: [2016-11-18] Bitcoin Tipping App ChangeTip Closes Its Doors (Read 587 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
Damn this is a shame.... One of the most popular methods to transfer micro transaction for https://www.reddit.com/r/millionairemakers/ was

ChangeTip. They are the perfect example of why Bitcoin is more suitable for micro transactions than other payment options like PayPal. Is this

their failure or just a indication that people are not prone to tipping? It is going to be a sucky Xmas without ChangeTip.  Angry
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
Bitcoin micro transaction market is not as easy as it seems at first glance. FIAT payment processors are still better for sending random amount of money to your friends/family/random internet people.
Plus, Bitcoin is used by far less than 10 million of people, while at the same time PayPal has over 192 million accounts registered and active.
It is not really not much of a surprise that Bitcoin Tiping App is not popular. My guess is - we are still not there yet with Bitcoin adoption.
legendary
Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299
It would be nice if they open sourced the software.  It is a cool concept, but I bet overhead was too much.

It doesn't work like that. They rather keep everything within their control, or sell it to an interested party, than simply publishing everything online where people can make use of what ChangeTip has invested plenty of time and money in. Other than that, there are already certain other tipping bots that do their work equally as good. Or you can get your own developed. The only question is.... Will you invest your precious time and money into something that might never reach a point of being profitable for you? I definitely wouldn't.

It can definitely work like that and it has happened many times before on other projects.

Likewise, if you read what they have said ChangeTip even discussed doing so per their public postings but didn't believe volunteers would accept the liability.  Also, again as they have publicly stated, they have not been able to find a buyer for it, everyone is at AirBnB now, and they have been running it for the last few months at a loss.
tyz
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1530

Never used the service myself, but I'm a little surprised to see this thing fail.  It sounded like such a simple concept, but perhaps in reality things were a little more complicated. 

I have not used it either. However, I have never encountered the possibility to donate with ChangeTip. And I have browsed a lot of various crypto sites in past times. I believe that the low utilization ultimately led to the discontinuation of the service. Regrettable, but I think that soon there will again be a similar service, when Bitcoin should be even more popular in the future.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
Look ARROUND!
ChangeTip was pretty cool.

There isn't much tipping apps out there right now. People might be building Alt-Coins and they usually look for people that could make Reddit + Twitter tipbots.

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
It would be nice if they open sourced the software.  It is a cool concept, but I bet overhead was too much.

It doesn't work like that. They rather keep everything within their control, or sell it to an interested party, than simply publishing everything online where people can make use of what ChangeTip has invested plenty of time and money in. Other than that, there are already certain other tipping bots that do their work equally as good. Or you can get your own developed. The only question is.... Will you invest your precious time and money into something that might never reach a point of being profitable for you? I definitely wouldn't.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1012
★Nitrogensports.eu★
The employees of the Company were acquired/hired by airBNB.
I guess ChangeTip's business model didn't make sense, post that.
legendary
Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299
It would be nice if they open sourced the software.  It is a cool concept, but I bet overhead was too much.
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
https://news.bitcoin.com/bitcoin-tipping-changetip-closes-doors/

Popular Bitcoin tipping platform ChangeTip has announced the service is shutting down operations. The company has been deliberating ways to continue the service, but unfortunately, in the end, it said the only option was to shut down.

Never used the service myself, but I'm a little surprised to see this thing fail.  It sounded like such a simple concept, but perhaps in reality things were a little more complicated.  The article speculates it was down to running costs, so I suppose handling microtransactions isn't exactly an easily profitable business model yet.  Still, with a gap in the market, it's almost certain someone will come up with a replacement pretty quick.
Jump to: