Author

Topic: [2016-12-29]Bitpesa Allows African Businesses to Trade with Chinese Counterparts (Read 388 times)

legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106
Indeed, Western Union will soon feel the effects of Bitcoin remittances. The years of plenty have passed for WU, their market share and profitability will shrink dramatically.

That said I still think that Bitcoin remittances mediated by third parties such as Bitpesa will only be a transitory phenomenon as well. The true power of Bitcoin will unfold, when it is used for direct international person-2-person payments from one wallet to another without any middlemen or conversions involved. It will take some time, before this will become the norm, but I'm confident that it will happen. A necessary precondition is a large BTC-only marketplace, so the recipients of remittances can spend their BTC directly.

ya.ya.yo!

as much as I dislike WU and their overpriced,robbing services
I think that the infrastructure in africa is not ready for bitcoin to become a competitor in terms of general public transfers
WU has huge network of outlets,it is prety easy to get your money even if you live in a small town
with bitcoins it is a two step process-you have to recieve funds,then you have to exchange for fiat
while the first step is easy,obtaining cash is going to be complicated,years can pass before the players like Bitpesa you mentioned and the rest
create an infrastructure comparable to the WU coverage
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
I am glad to see that Bitpesa is getting some time in the sun, because they had to fight to get into this position. M-pesa is very big in Kenya

for micro transactions, but Bitpesa is better for international remittance payments. This just shows you that David and Goliath scenarios are

being fought on a daily basis and David {The small guys} are winning some of these battles.  Grin
Activity: 812
Merit: 252
We don't need to forget that China needs the resources on the African continent, and expand the infrastructure in Africa with trade in technology. The trade between this two will be beneficial for both parties involved and Africa will save money on money transfer.

Also, bitcoin will expand Wink
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
Do businesses really use Western Union? I thought all of them dealt through banking channels. Banks also charge a hefty mark up for currency flows and will be impacted by increased use of Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024
Indeed, Western Union will soon feel the effects of Bitcoin remittances. The years of plenty have passed for WU, their market share and profitability will shrink dramatically.

That said I still think that Bitcoin remittances mediated by third parties such as Bitpesa will only be a transitory phenomenon as well. The true power of Bitcoin will unfold, when it is used for direct international person-2-person payments from one wallet to another without any middlemen or conversions involved. It will take some time, before this will become the norm, but I'm confident that it will happen. A necessary precondition is a large BTC-only marketplace, so the recipients of remittances can spend their BTC directly.

ya.ya.yo!
Activity: 966
Merit: 264
Bitpesa is a bitcoin exchange and Blockchain technology firm based in Nairobi, Kenya, that has recently optimized its platform to focus mainly on the massive trade between East Africa, Nigeria and China.

Gone are the days when East African traders transferred huge amounts of money Via western Union with all the large transaction fees involved. Bitpesa has made it possible for East African and Nigerian businesses to transfer funds safely and cheaply using bitcoin to their Chinese suppliers and vice versa.

You can read the full article and take part in the discussion here: https://coinidol.com/bitpesa-allows-african-businesses-to-trade-with-chinese-counterparts/
Jump to: