Author

Topic: [2017-03-15]Canadian Police Issue Bitcoin Investment Scam Warning (Read 339 times)

legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209
Utter nonsense if you ask me, what does it mean they sent cheques asking to buy bitcoins? who was giving money anyways in this story?

My guess is that it works like this: The victim deposits the checks into their own account, and then buys bitcoins with their own money and sends the bitcoins to the scammers. Then the checks bounce.

Are you telling me that residents of a first world country were so naive to buy into the usual scam ponzi attempts?

Yes. There are naive people in every country.
Activity: 924
Merit: 506
Utter nonsense if you ask me, what does it mean they sent cheques asking to buy bitcoins? who was giving money anyways in this story?
Are you telling me that residents of a first world country were so naive to buy into the usual scam ponzi attempts?
Activity: 1078
Merit: 256
Canadian Police Issue Bitcoin Investment Scam Warning

Regional police in Canada have issued a warning to local residents about fraudulent investment schemes involving bitcoin.

In a statement, the Durham Regional Police Service, based out of Ontario, said that residents have reportedly been solicited about money-making pitches involving the digital currency that ultimately see them losing funds to the fraudsters.

The police statement said:

"Residents have reported being contacted by fraudsters after applying for jobs or responding to ads online involving a promise to make money. The fraudsters send cheques to the victims and ask them to use the money to purchase bitcoins – a virtual currency used globally."

http://www.coindesk.com/canadian-police-issue-bitcoin-investment-scam-warning/
Jump to: