Author

Topic: [2017-04-14]Talk of 2018 Bitcoin Legalization Premature: Bank of Russia Official (Read 344 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074
When the Russia mafia government "finally" announce that Bitcoin is officially sanctioned, hands up who wants to go to Russia to try it out?

Yeah, that's what I was expecting. No-one is going to take any stance by Russia's professional tyrants even 1% seriously, and so their protection racket will only ever have the BTC native to Russia to play with for a long, long time. Which might not be so bad, I'm sure plenty of impoverished Russian people have been buying or mining BTC since 2010. I just hope they have the sense to hodl tight and not give it up to the government thieves if they initiate some kind of "mandatory purchase order" (aka official theft)
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106
one thing must be noted:Russian goverment and Central bank are two different entities
central bank in Russia ,as in any other country of the world,has nothing to do with the
national powers or elites or goverments,it is a completely independent,transnational private institution
so if a member of parliament of Russia says one thing,hell even if the president says one thing
but central bank says it is not going to happen,I would go with what central bank's representative says
as it is most likely to be that way in the end

also,there was no talk of "legalisation" of bitcoin,simply an attempt to fight illegal money laundering and rogue transactions
and for that they would have to recognise bitcoin as an asset,to be able to monitor,tax etc.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353
I don't think the Russian government is looking to legalized it, maybe putting a regulation in place to check that it is not be use for scam or any other illegal activities.  Regulations for tax purposes or just to monitor every transaction for KYC and AML compliant. Bitcoin is growing everyday, and I don't think that any government can really put a hold on bitcoin technology. But if they decided not to legalized or regulate bitcoin, Russia will be left behind in the crypto-world scene, Japan has started the revolution and other countries, Russia wouldn't want to be left in the dark.
Activity: 490
Merit: 501
It is quite clear that some government officials in Russia is looking at Bitcoin with some form of envy and they must be thinking that instead of recognizing Bitcoin why not introduced their own cryptocurrency which the government can control anytime anyhow. Well, I am wishing them luck because as of now there is no government-initiated and government-backed cryptocurrency that is really successful. Will Russia be able to stop Bitcoin? We don't know yet as of now what can be as the government structure in Russia is definitely revolves authoritarianism.
Activity: 249
Merit: 250
Days after the Russian deputy minister for finance hinted at the possibility of legally recognizing bitcoin next year, a central bank official has poured scorn on such expectations.

Earlier this week, Alexei Moiseev, deputy finance minister of the Russian federation who notably led the effort to ban bitcoin as early as 2014, spoke about recognizing the cryptocurrency in 2018 in a legal capacity. In essence, the official hinted toward the regulation of the world’s most prominent cryptocurrency in Russia.

The revelation was received with much fanfare among the cryptocurrency community and represented a remarkable U-turn from an official who actively pushed a proposal to imprison bitcoin adopters less than a year ago.

// Read exclusive stories, bitcoin & forex analysis, and tutorials. Use the coupon code "CCN5" and get $5 off. Join Hacked.com now. //

However, talk about Russia legalizing bitcoin in 2018 was quickly squashed by Maxim Grigoriev, the Bank of Russia’s FinTech chief.

As reported by Russian news agency Tass, Grigoriev told reporters that the subject of cryptocurrencies’ status in Russia is under discussion among authorities and any speculated result would be premature, at this stage.

Grigoriev, who heads the Center for Financial Technologies at the Bank of Russia, stated:

We are communicating with the Ministry of Finance and the Federal Financial Monitoring Service. As mentioned, we are going to determine the position [of the legal status of cryptocurrencies in Russia] in 2018.

Notably, there is no unified position taken among the three authorities, Grigoriev revealed.

Russia’s Federal Financial Monitoring Service, also known as Rosfinmonitoring, was the first state authority to reveal discussions toward a state-controlled cryptocurrency among regulators and authorities in mid-2016. These talks occurred after the central bank’s deputy governor spoke about the possibility of a national digital currency based on a hybrid network of public and private blockchain rules. Earlier this year, she nodded toward efforts of building a regulatory framework for bitcoin.

Other Russian ministries have previously objected to the Finance Ministry’s now-defunct bitcoin ban bill, questioning the criminal liabilities underlined by the proposal.
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/talk-2018-bitcoin-legalization-premature-bank-russia-official/
Jump to: