Author

Topic: [2017-05-16] ToI: Bitcoin sale profit is taxable capital gains for investor (Read 232 times)

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin sale profit is taxable capital gains for investor

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/bitcoin-sale-profit-is-taxable-capital-gains-for-investor/articleshow/58691027.cms

India is not isolated from the rising popularity of bitcoins, which got a boost post-demonetisation. According to industry sources, nearly 300-plus enthusiasts of the cryptocurrency trade daily on Indian bitcoin exchange platforms. Most of these platforms boast of user registrations of more than a lakh. Thus, many taxpayers in India need to understand the I-T nuances of their bitcoin transactions.

Curiosity prompted Rakesh M, a Bengaluru-based techie (identity changed), to make his first investment in bitcoins. He sold his investment during the financial year 2016-17 (year ending March 31, 2017) and earned a profit.The perplexing issue for him is: How should he treat the income on sale of the bitcoin for I-T purposes? As a salaried employee, he has to file his I-T return by July 31. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has not yet issued any guidance. Tax authorities in many countries, such as the US, treat bitcoins a capital asset in hands of investors, with the sale resulting in a capital gain.
Jump to: