Author

Topic: [2017-10-26] Google Chrome plugin injected with mining virus (Read 3360 times)

Activity: 700
Merit: 250
That is the reason why i uninstall most of plugins from firefox and chrome. You never know if they can track your ethereum or bitcoin adress. You cannot be 100% shure if firefox or chrome itself collect your personal data. Maybe it`s better to use Thor browser for myetherwallet site, and forget about all that popular programs, that can be infected very easily.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
This hidden mining is very widespread lately,as on the sites which are related to cryptocurrency,but also on any other site people visit on internet.How much is known some site owners earn quite a lot of money on this,and because the whole process takes place in the background most users are not even aware of it.Although the indication of hidden mining can be CPU at 100%,some owners try to reduce CPU usage of user so it is hard to notice that you mine for them.But some security company have already issued updates,my antivirus alert me to any attempt of such behavior and block script before start to mine.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
Monero is very often used for criminal purposes

Unsupported statements like this are journalistic trash.
I'd have to agree that this is quite a bold statement but there's some truth to be found. From various reputable sources I learned that hackers can infect your pc with a virus that mines coins for them using the cpu. You can get infected simply by visiting a malicious page. The main crypto currency they mine is Monero but it's certainly not the only crypto currency that is unwillingly being mined.

Well they often used Monero to mined because of its supposedly anonymous capability. So its the number one and logical choice for hackers to mined. This is really getting out of hand. Just this last month alone, we have seen a lot of this things and its very alarming. They will try to do everything to take advantage of unsuspecting victims here. What worry me the most is that if you are in crypto world, you wouldn't know everything about this and don't know how to protect yourself. You will just noticed that your CPU is acting strangely, always pushing 100% capacity.

I brush stuff like this off just like everyone brushes off "USD is very often used for criminal purposes"
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353

I'd have to agree that this is quite a bold statement but there's some truth to be found. From various reputable sources I learned that hackers can infect your pc with a virus that mines coins for them using the cpu. You can get infected simply by visiting a malicious page. The main crypto currency they mine is Monero but it's certainly not the only crypto currency that is unwillingly being mined.

Well they often used Monero to mined because of its supposedly anonymous capability. So its the number one and logical choice for hackers to mined. This is really getting out of hand. Just this last month alone, we have seen a lot of this things and its very alarming. They will try to do everything to take advantage of unsuspecting victims here. What worry me the most is that if you are in crypto world, you wouldn't know everything about this and don't know how to protect yourself. You will just noticed that your CPU is acting strangely, always pushing 100% capacity.
Activity: 336
Merit: 252

legendary
Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

Activity: 52
Merit: 0
The special Google Chrome plugin designed for URL shortening (similar to TinyURL in mechanics) was infected with Coinhive, a script that mines Monero. Monero is very often used for criminal purposes, but this doesn’t mean it is itself bad — it just has very good technological advancements that can be used by criminals to hide tracks.

In this case, we owe our gratitude to Alessandro Polidori, a talented coder who correctly managed to find the threat source after getting a notification from Intrusion Prevention System designed by Nethserver.

If you don’t have decent detection tools, latent in-browser mining can be eradicated by reinstalling the browser or simply closing the website page that gets too much resources of your PC (this can be checked from the Task Manager if we talk about Windows). Soon, major antiviruses will learn to combat this threat even more efficiently, but for now, it’s better to follow the news about latent miners and malvertising - a process when a good website is injected with a cryptocurrency mining virus and thus becomes the hackers’ tool of stealing resources.

Read more

Jump to: