Author

Topic: [2017-11-08] This Russian Can To Turn Millions Phones Into Crypto Miners (Read 1494 times)

legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145
I think botnet is a bad phrasing in this case - if it's open and users have to give their permission, that there's no "bots" - it's simply a novel method of monetization, when people can support sites and apps by mining, instead of watching annoying ads. "Illegal botnet" is when sites and apps use hidden mining scripts, so users don't even notice that their resources are being hijacked. Maybe in the future it will be actually illegal and big sites won't be able to get away with it like they do now.
Activity: 1337
Merit: 288
0xbt
A "legal botnet" might seem like an oxymoronic statement. At best, it's risky phrasing. Most associate "botnets" with hordes of hacked computers controlled by a hidden botmaster with monstrous machinations, more often than not illicit profiteering.

But "legal botnet" was the term used by Russian developer Alexey Khripkov (who also goes by oxothuk, amongst other names) when describing his access to thousands, possibly millions, of Android devices thanks to his wildly popular games on Google's platform. His plan to monetise those games was via a crytocurrency miner, which would use up the phone's computing power in the background to carry out the mathematical puzzles required to unlock coins of various alternative currencies, mainly Magicoin. In recent months, he added the capability to Puzzle, a game with 10 million downloads, hoping all those users would help him turn a tidy sum.....

...."'Legal botnet' is only words. It means I have control over thousands of devices," he said, responding to questions about the phrase, which he'd previously used on a Bitcoin forum earlier this year. "I do not do any evil things like illegal botnets... In my app you can control mining, you enable if it's acceptable for you or disable if you do not want it. It is not hidden for users, so it is fully legal....

Read more....
https://0xbt.net/news/view/20321/
Jump to: