Author

Topic: [2018-01-03]E-Trade begins CME bitcoin trading as of Tuesday evening (Read 61 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 501
I just posted a topic about this possibility of Bitcoin be replaced as the number one cryptocurrency and right now supporters of Ripple are hoping that they can have their coin continue on growing and Bitcoin retreat further so that the top position can be taken away from the King of Cryptos. It would be interesting to think of the scenario in case Bitcoin can just be number two or worse be number three. Though, of course, am not wishing for this to happen but then again there is nothing impossible in the world of cryptocurrency. I am guessing that if that can happen then we might see Bitcoin slowly retreating in price and significance. Nevertheless, it will not be an easy fight as the distance between the number one (Bitcoin) and the number two (Ripple) is still enormous and we are expecting that within the first quarter of the year there can be a stimulus to push Bitcoin back into the $20K level. Plus Ripple due to its voluminous available supply may have some growth limits imposed on itself.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1460
It is news like this that makes me realize that bitcoin is now indeed part of the mainstream. We see analysts talk about it in Bloomberg and CNBC, there are now bitcoin tickers in mainstream financial new sites, and we see brokers listing bitcoin futures available for trading.

What would happen if bitcoin was dethroned as the no. 1 cryptocoin in market cap?

E-Trade Financial has opened trading in CME bitcoin futures for customers beginning at 6 p.m. ET on Tuesday, according to its website.

It is the latest online brokerage to expand trading in the relatively new products.

Futures exchanges Cboe and CME began offering bitcoin futures in mid-December after a wild run-up in the price of the underlying bitcoin cryptocurrency last year.

Interactive Brokers also rolled out trading in the products last month, and TD Ameritrade and E-Trade began offering customers access to Cboe futures as well.

Cboe Global Markets was the first to offer a bitcoin future followed a week later by CME.

Full article https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/02/e-trade-begins-cme-bitcoin-trading-as-of-tuesday-evening.html

Jump to: