Author

Topic: [2018-03-02] Bitcoin's Plunge in Volume Stirs Questions About Its Usage (Read 105 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196
STOP SNITCHIN'
Weren't most of those microtransactions in bitcoin really all spam made by the supporters or the people behind of bitcoin cash?

Maybe. I suspect so, but I don't think there is conclusive proof. LaurentMT did some interesting analysis that suggested that the spam attacks were a coordinated effort by several mining pools.
I reckon we really do have to question if bitcoin really does need a block size increase today.

It's pretty clear we don't need one right now. We've seen that the fee market model is very robust. Another size/weight increase is probably an eventuality, though, as long as the network keeps growing.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1460
The transaction volume statistics might be a bit deceiving. You have to remember that only a month or two ago, Bitcoin had

a lot of problems with high fees and a lot of people shifted their micro payments onto other Alt coins, like Bitcoin Cash

and Ethereum, because they had lower fees. Since then, most of the spamming has stopped and a lot of people kept on

using these Alt coins out of convenience. When they realize how low miners fees are with Bitcoin, most might migrate back

to Bitcoin. I predict a large migration, when the Lightning Network is fully implemented.  Wink

Weren't most of those microtransactions in bitcoin really all spam made by the supporters or the people behind of bitcoin cash?

I reckon we really do have to question if bitcoin really does need a block size increase today. Look at bitcoin cash, most of the transactions there are less than 1mb. What do they need 8mb blocks for?
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196
STOP SNITCHIN'
As I've said elsewhere, there are several reasons why transaction volume dropped. In truth, transaction volume can be a misleading indicator for adoption:

The overall trends should agree, but very large divergences (spam attacks, periods of temporarily high activity, anomalies) can occur.

I have no doubt the network has grown in the last several months, but if you look at the last 6 months, mempool size has increased as much as 50-100x over some periods. That can't possibly represent legitimate organic growth, especially when you consider how empty mempools are today.

It seems pretty clear that a significant ongoing spam attack was in effect before the recent drop in transaction volume.

The transaction volume statistics might be a bit deceiving. You have to remember that only a month or two ago, Bitcoin had

a lot of problems with high fees and a lot of people shifted their micro payments onto other Alt coins, like Bitcoin Cash

and Ethereum, because they had lower fees. Since then, most of the spamming has stopped and a lot of people kept on

using these Alt coins out of convenience.

I'm not so sure about that. Bcash network activity has always been incredible low. Ethereum fees are 25-50x lower than they were a couple months ago during the Crypto Kitties craze.
Activity: 434
Merit: 255
Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency

using these Alt coins out of convenience. When they realize how low miners fees are with Bitcoin, most might migrate back

to Bitcoin. I predict a large migration, when the Lightning Network is fully implemented.  Wink
I do not believe that the lightning system can change the situation in the use of bitcoin. It was a good idea to switch to segwit2x but the miners refused to support it. Now I think we should go the other way. Without solving the problems with bitcoin transaction may not be fully functional.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1074

Jump to: