Author

Topic: [2018-10-25] Kenyans Pay Local Restaurant Bitcoin for Meals and Classes on Crypt (Read 189 times)

legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Blackjack.fun
It is good but not that important thing.
How is more global Bitcoin acceptance not an important thing? We want it to be a currency, so the first step is to have stores accept it as payment option. It might not be much in this specific case, but plenty of smaller stores doing the same add up to a large number over a longer period of time. It works as a domino effect as well; if other local stores and restaurants see them attract more people, they will follow for sure.

Probably he refers to the little detail which guys from CCN forgot to copy from the original article from BBC.
And at this point, I must say that I am getting a bit annoyed with this propaganda from ccn which starts to resemble it's brother CNN.

They've copied everything almost word by word (and a lot of text spinning, lols)  but left out this little paragraph.
However, her payments in Bitcoin have been modest - about 30,000 Kenyan shillings (£230, $300) in sales from about 20 people.

This is the problem/ merchants after merchants pop up but sales stagnate. I've just bought a laptop for bitcoin yesterday, I've spent 20 minutes in the showroom because the guy that knew for to finalize orders done via bitcoin was on a break and the rest of them never had training. A little chat with him when he came back a little browsing and guess what. since my last order about two months ago, nobody paid in BTC and we're talking about orders 44945  to 63180, so about 1 in 20 000  Cry Cry Cry

Honestly, we don't need more shops or more businesses there are plenty of them, we need customers that pay in bitcoin, we need to encourage this thing and unfortunately the new wave of adopters are just holding their coins, if you listen to newbies you must be stupid to spend your coins as they will soon go to the moon.

Sure it's nice to have a shop in the middle of nowhere accepting bitcoin but I'm eager to hear news like "shop in kenya tops 100 orders per day viaBTC" and at that moment I'm going to open a bottle of champaign, bought with BTC of course.

Activity: 256
Merit: 100
CRYPTOMI.IO
Very interesting approach, the hostess is very creative approach picked up, well done. That's just me very curious how things are with customers and how payment is made. And so it is necessary with such a woman to take an example)
Activity: 1358
Merit: 81

The article in the OP and and the video in the quoted post contain very interesting information, for me at least. I periodically check legality of Bitcoin by country, but I didn't know that BTC is accepted in Kenya to such a degree. The thing is that very little is known about Bitcoin acceptance in Africa in general. Reading various articles you always stumble upon this picture

where grey color means very little or nothing is known.

Also, there's no info on Kenya in this wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_bitcoin_by_country_or_territory

which is strange because English is one of the official languages of Kenya and many people speak English there, so I think they are able to modify the wiki article to make it more informative.

Overall I think we need more articles covering the grey area on the map above.

It seems that in Kenya there is a good adoption movement of Bitcoin and crypto. I found interesting reading in the following links
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-14/blockchain-is-opening-up-kenya-s-20-billion-informal-economy
https://bitcoinke.io/2018/06/funtrench-launches-first-blockchain-campus-kenya/
https://bitcoinke.io/2018/08/kenya-ranked-3rd-africa-23-globally-bitcoin-trading-volumes/
Activity: 630
Merit: 100
Criminals in every country have their privacy coin of choice, most prefer to use monero but perhaps in Kenya they use DASH. Without knowing the local economy it is hard to say which coin they should list, but it is good to have variety
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2112
I stand with Ukraine.
If anyone has not read the article, the truth is advisable to read it. This ingenious business model was made a reality by Mrs. Wambugu who is now The owner of Restaurant Betty's Place that was possible after accumulating a capital thanks to Bitcoin.

Also, Mrs. Wanbugu dedicates the Sunday on giving a tutorial on Bitcoin. With this strategy, she is getting more people to get involved in Bitcoin and thus gain more clients for her Restaurant at the end of account the key is learning.

Today we have the knowledge about Bitcoin we just need to take the trip and enforce our dream. It is the experience that this story has left me.
Nyeri restaurant accepts bitcoin payments

Thanks to BitcoinArsenal for sharing this cool article! I have enjoyed it!

The article in the OP and and the video in the quoted post contain very interesting information, for me at least. I periodically check legality of Bitcoin by country, but I didn't know that BTC is accepted in Kenya to such a degree. The thing is that very little is known about Bitcoin acceptance in Africa in general. Reading various articles you always stumble upon this picture

where grey color means very little or nothing is known.

Also, there's no info on Kenya in this wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_bitcoin_by_country_or_territory

which is strange because English is one of the official languages of Kenya and many people speak English there, so I think they are able to modify the wiki article to make it more informative.

Overall I think we need more articles covering the grey area on the map above.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 81
If anyone has not read the article, the truth is advisable to read it. This ingenious business model was made a reality by Mrs. Wambugu who is now The owner of Restaurant Betty's Place that was possible after accumulating a capital thanks to Bitcoin.

Also, Mrs. Wanbugu dedicates the Sunday on giving a tutorial on Bitcoin. With this strategy, she is getting more people to get involved in Bitcoin and thus gain more clients for her Restaurant at the end of account the key is learning.

Today we have the knowledge about Bitcoin we just need to take the trip and enforce our dream. It is the experience that this story has left me.
Nyeri restaurant accepts bitcoin payments

Thanks to BitcoinArsenal for sharing this cool article! I have enjoyed it!
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 1140
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
How is more global Bitcoin acceptance not an important thing?
I think i have to rephrase it to be more clear Smiley but you already pointed it here
It might not be much in this specific case, but plenty of smaller stores doing the same add up to a large number over a longer period of time. It works as a domino effect as well; if other local stores and restaurants see them attract more people, they will follow for sure.

The most logical reason is that there locally is a specific demand for these two currencies to be accepted. I'm sure if the same applied to Ethereum it would be listed as well.
Yes, logic.

snipie,,, you are asking the wrong question. Who cares which crypto they are asking for? If you have Bitcoin, any other alt is already just a bonus. And also, you are asking, why not ETH? So why not Litecoin? And BTC and ETH have no difference to the user, but Dash is a privacy or anonymous coin. So that is the difference. Why offer two products that have no difference to customers?
I just stated ETH as an example and because it is know widely. ETH, LTC or doge is not the problem and I do not see what is the point of having an anonymous payment option in a restaurant  Cheesy
I think 1Referee gave a logic answer to this question.
Activity: 2240
Merit: 953
Temporary forum vacation
snipie,,, you are asking the wrong question. Who cares which crypto they are asking for? If you have Bitcoin, any other alt is already just a bonus. And also, you are asking, why not ETH? So why not Litecoin? And BTC and ETH have no difference to the user, but Dash is a privacy or anonymous coin. So that is the difference. Why offer two products that have no difference to customers?
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
It is good but not that important thing.
How is more global Bitcoin acceptance not an important thing? We want it to be a currency, so the first step is to have stores accept it as payment option. It might not be much in this specific case, but plenty of smaller stores doing the same add up to a large number over a longer period of time. It works as a domino effect as well; if other local stores and restaurants see them attract more people, they will follow for sure.

The owner is accepting many currencies and added Bitcoin and dash for payments. Why dash and not eth?
The most logical reason is that there locally is a specific demand for these two currencies to be accepted. I'm sure if the same applied to Ethereum it would be listed as well.
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 1140
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
Mount Kenya provides visitors with a picturesque appeal reminiscent of the ambiance in a world of utopia. Beyond the charm and aura lies a tech-savvy Kenyan restaurant that has incorporated cryptocurrencies for facilitating payment.
Full article on CryptoCoinNews
It is good but not that important thing. The owner is accepting many currencies and added Bitcoin and dash for payments. Why dash and not eth?
Activity: 924
Merit: 556
Mount Kenya provides visitors with a picturesque appeal reminiscent of the ambiance in a world of utopia. Beyond the charm and aura lies a tech-savvy Kenyan restaurant that has incorporated cryptocurrencies for facilitating payment.
Full article on CryptoCoinNews
Jump to: