Author

Topic: [2019-05-12] GoTenna Partners With Blockstream Satellite to Make Using Bitcoin. (Read 140 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
The best solution is to market this for a community or maybe a service provider that can charge a certain fee for subscribers or users within a geographical location.
I see where you're coming from, but I don't think this is an optional solution. Half the point of this setup is that you are not dependent on a third party which can censor or limit your access. If you add in a service provider, you negate this benefit.

Anyway, the most important thing here is that there is now the technology available that can utilized for offline Bitcoin transactions and who know soon the cost can be lowered significantly.
Probably worth clarifying that the transactions aren't actually offline. They can be broadcasted via an offline network such as goTenna, but at some point they need to reach an internet enabled device to be broadcast to the blockchain. The next stage will be sending transactions directly via Blockchain Satellite.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 355
This is cool. We are looking at syncing a full node without internet connection from Blockstream Satellite, and transmitting transactions without internet via goTenna. Completely resistant to internet outages and online censorship.

I expect that in the coming 5-10 years that the devices needed to send offline transactions through satellites will be so small and cheap, that it might take off in third world countries.
A goTenna mesh is currently selling for $179. By the time you add up the satellite dish, LNB, power supply, cables, and all the rest, the hardware needed to connect to Blockstream Satellite probably isn't far off that either. A combined total of ~$350 is way out of budget for most citizens in the 3rd world at the moment, but as you say technology rapidly gets cheaper as time goes on. I also wonder about a group or community all pitching in together to get the hardware to run a "community node".

I am about to ask the same thing. So for now the technology can still be expensive especially for people who are not in developed countries and even if you are let's say based in USA shelling out that money to avail of the platform may not be that attractive. The best solution is to market this for a community or maybe a service provider that can charge a certain fee for subscribers or users within a geographical location. Anyway, the most important thing here is that there is now the technology available that can utilized for offline Bitcoin transactions and who know soon the cost can be lowered significantly. We are now actually witnessing new development of different platforms that can greatly enhance the Bitcoin experience and this is very encouraging.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
This is cool. We are looking at syncing a full node without internet connection from Blockstream Satellite, and transmitting transactions without internet via goTenna. Completely resistant to internet outages and online censorship.

I expect that in the coming 5-10 years that the devices needed to send offline transactions through satellites will be so small and cheap, that it might take off in third world countries.
A goTenna mesh is currently selling for $179. By the time you add up the satellite dish, LNB, power supply, cables, and all the rest, the hardware needed to connect to Blockstream Satellite probably isn't far off that either. A combined total of ~$350 is way out of budget for most citizens in the 3rd world at the moment, but as you say technology rapidly gets cheaper as time goes on. I also wonder about a group or community all pitching in together to get the hardware to run a "community node".
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179
This is quite a bullish development. I expect that in the coming 5-10 years that the devices needed to send offline transactions through satellites will be so small and cheap, that it might take off in third world countries.

IIRC, there was an article some time ago that pointed out that blockstream satellites also support LN transactions, which if so, that's incredible considering that LN is the way to go.

The sooner we push for LN adoption, the more comfortable people will get with it. Would be cool to see Core natively come with a LN integration so users no longer have to download and install additional software.
copper member
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305
Limited in number. Limitless in potential.
GoTenna Partners With Blockstream Satellite to Make Using Bitcoin Without an Internet Connection Simpler

Sending bitcoin transactions without an internet connection just got a little bit easier.
This integration is part of a larger effort to make it easier for people to send offline transactions if they need to. It also makes Blockstream Satellite, which perhaps sounds more like a sci-fi project than a thing that will actually help people, a bit more useful

https://www.coindesk.com/gotenna-partners-with-blockstream-satellite-to-make-using-bitcoin-without-an-internet-connection-simpler
Jump to: