Author

Topic: [2019-06-03] The Bitcoin’s ‘Culture War’ (Read 129 times)

legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145
Idk about twitter, but here on Bitcointalk I only saw bigoted posts from known trolls, and overall I think it's one of the most polite places on the Internet, you rarely see people fightning and calling each other names, that stuff is fully contained in boards like Meta and Reputation. So, if someone judges Bitcoin community based solely on Twitter, I think that's just wrong approach.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483
The only way to do that is to spur the kind of open debates that have always driven the progress of human culture — those which shifted norms and mores to the point that it became unacceptable to own slaves, to spit in public, or to jump a queue. So, listen up, bitcoin. It’s time to confront your toxicity.

hehe, this viewpoint is definitely gonna meet some resistance around here. Wink
Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

I stand with those people, especially women, who’ve lately been calling out maltreatment from members of the bitcoin community and citing rude and abusive behavior as proof of that community’s lack of inclusiveness. These are people who believe in cryptocurrency technology’s potential but feel discouraged to believe that they belong to the community’s dominant white-male subculture. If this technology is to fulfill its global potential, the community associated with it must confront this problem.

But the real point of this column is not to just defend these critics. It’s to debunk one of the more common positions adopted by those who take issue with their complaints, particularly on Twitter. In doing so, I hope to emphasize just how important the concepts of “community” and “culture” are to the healthy development of crypto technology and the ecosystem growing around it.

The only way to do that is to spur the kind of open debates that have always driven the progress of human culture — those which shifted norms and mores to the point that it became unacceptable to own slaves, to spit in public, or to jump a queue. So, listen up, bitcoin. It’s time to confront your toxicity.

Further Read: https://www.coindesk.com/why-bitcoins-culture-war-matters

Do we have a bitcoin community lacking inclusiveness especially for women? That seems to be the impression of the many in the face of the reality that this is men-dominated circle. However, there is no stopping anyone regardless of gender to enter and be a part and parcel of this growing platform. Is there really a toxic bitcoin culture ongoing and hindering participation of those in the fringes?
Jump to: