Author

Topic: [2019-07-11] IT Enthusiast Mines Bitcoin With an Apollo Guidance Computer (Read 81 times)

legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353
Well I'm not cool to see those relics, just customized and turn in a bitcoin mining machine. I mean it was a revolutionary machine back then, they should preserved as it is.

https://history.nasa.gov/computers/Ch1-5.html

Cool, but I don't see anything special here, you can mine Bitcoin on anything that can be programmed, and since people run Doom on microwaves and other devices with electronics, they might as well mine Bitcoin. In fact, mining Bitcoin is relatively easy, you just need a code for SHA-256 hash function, and some code for assembling blocks, but the phrase "specialized hardware" makes it sound like it's something very complicated.

Exactly, this is my point. A lot of dedicated machines are programmed to do this specific task. So I really don't understand what's the big fuss is all about. Out of the box? I don't think so, nothing extra ordinary here, on the contrary they just wasting money and time customizing those old machines.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145
Cool, but I don't see anything special here, you can mine Bitcoin on anything that can be programmed, and since people run Doom on microwaves and other devices with electronics, they might as well mine Bitcoin. In fact, mining Bitcoin is relatively easy, you just need a code for SHA-256 hash function, and some code for assembling blocks, but the phrase "specialized hardware" makes it sound like it's something very complicated.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Mining cryptocurrencies often requires a lot of dedicated hardware. Even where most altcoins are concerned, it is not just a matter of turning on one’s computer to make money. Interestingly enough, it seems an Apollo Guidance Computer is more than capable of mining Bitcoin. It will not yield any major profits by any means, yet it is cool to see such hardware being used for a purpose that is very different from what it was initially intended for.
A Different Spin on Bitcoin Mining

Over the course of the past few years, there have been numerous attempts to mine Bitcoin with all kinds of hardware. The evolution from CPU mining to GPUs, FPGA mining and even ASIC hardware has been well-documented. Ever since that time, there have been some interesting attempts to do something out of the box, although most of these ventures end to be a waste of time. That is only normal, as mining Bitcoin is not an easy feat which can be done with off-the-shelf hardware, at least if one wants to make a profit while doing so.

Read More: https://nulltx.com/it-enthusiast-mines-bitcoin-with-an-apollo-guidance-computer/
Jump to: