Author

Topic: [2020-09-10] Privacy Startup Nym Will Pay You in Bitcoin to Run Its Mixnet (Read 154 times)

legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422
FYI, it seems they now have >100 nodes, and that seemed to be their threshold for their rewards program. I did manage to get my node on their list before they officially closed it, but i have no idear if my node was within the first 100....
We should start a specific thread on this but I don't know where to place it. This is only about the news itself and if we want to discuss the matter we need a new thread. Any idea where it should be placed?

Sorry... I wasn't planning on derailing your thread... I just tought it was pertinent information for the people reading your press release Smiley
I guess a thread about this matter might fit in the service discussion, altough, to tell you the truth, it's a bit of a grey area and i'm not 100% sure where to put such a thread...

By the way: after the discussion about the extra thread has been finished, don't hesitate to PM me if you want me to remove my posts in this thread to keep it clean... I don't mind cleaning up my posts if they are derailing the idear behind your original post Wink
Don't worry mocaccino! This was not my intention at all  Smiley There's no need to delete anything here. My question was about what you said: this is a grey area and I don't know where to place a proper thread on this.
We will leave it here for the moment until further updates  Wink Thanks
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
FYI, it seems they now have >100 nodes, and that seemed to be their threshold for their rewards program. I did manage to get my node on their list before they officially closed it, but i have no idear if my node was within the first 100....
We should start a specific thread on this but I don't know where to place it. This is only about the news itself and if we want to discuss the matter we need a new thread. Any idea where it should be placed?

Sorry... I wasn't planning on derailing your thread... I just tought it was pertinent information for the people reading your press release Smiley
I guess a thread about this matter might fit in the service discussion, altough, to tell you the truth, it's a bit of a grey area and i'm not 100% sure where to put such a thread...

By the way: after the discussion about the extra thread has been finished, don't hesitate to PM me if you want me to remove my posts in this thread to keep it clean... I don't mind cleaning up my posts if they are derailing the idear behind your original post Wink
legendary
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
legendary
@Karartma1. In their statement they have said that the mixnet itself will be hosted by a network of volunteers. Might this be vulnerable to sybil attacks for collecting the data and traceablilty?
Thanks for pointing this out: I believe your concerns are true. It's not clear to me how this is going to work but you are right there should be more thinking into how to possibly mitigate Sybil Attacks.
legendary
Activity: 2926
Merit: 1440
@Karartma1. In their statement they have said that the mixnet itself will be hosted by a network of volunteers. Might this be vulnerable to sybil attacks for collecting the data and traceablilty?
Activity: 840
Merit: 375
i'm not sure paying users to run Nym node (?) is best solution to solve the fact that there's no incentive to run a node.

Why not? The more running nodes there is the more secure the network gets, I don't see why incentivizing people to run nodes would hurt in this case. In fact, this could solve one of Tor's potential problems imo; The fact that Tor doesn't have *many* nodes increases the chances of having people connect to 5 nodes runned by the same entity/person and potentially have their privacy compromised. Same applies to most cryptocurrencies too I guess? With better distribution of hashrate, the network becomes more resistant to attacks.
legendary
Nym now allows bitcoin transactions and has an incentive program for people running its nodes. It is also enabling plugins that will allow users to plug in wallets and applications to run their traffic through its mixnet.
What is a mixnet?
Nym is a start-up software project working to obscure metadata tracking at a network level via the mixnet it enables. The mixnet itself is hosted by a decentralized network of volunteers.

https://www.coindesk.com/privacy-nym-pay-bitcoin-mixnet

About Nym https://nymtech.net/
Jump to: