Author

Topic: 2020-12-03 BusinessInsider.com - Shark Tank investo Bitcoin needs ETF, volatile (Read 154 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
The proof in favor of this is precisely in the fact that O'Leary talks about "the top 7 cryptocurrencies" because that way the profit would be much higher than if only BTC was traded.
It betrays his ignorance of cryptocurrencies. Not only is there no such thing as "the top 7 cryptocurrencies", and the coins on that list will change markedly depending on who you speak to since everyone just shills whatever bags they are holding themselves, but diversifying across cryptocurrencies does not provide protection against large price changes as it might in other markets. The most likely outcome is that you simply amplify any losses, as if BTC crashes then altcoins all crash harder.

Most of the time it's better to just stick to BTC, especially if one doesn't have the time or energy to follow what's going on with altcoins.
Most of the time it isn't even a case of following what is going on with altcoins. You could spend hours of your life researching altcoins, finding one which actually has experienced and active developers working on real development targeted towards a real problem (and there are very few which fulfill that criteria), and watch the value slowly bleed out, while some scammy centralized vaporware like XRP or EOS doubles in price overnight. Picking the right altcoin to bet on (if making more BTC is your primary concern) is more an exercise in the psychology of the masses than it is finding any real technological advancement.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422
Bitcoin inesorably demolished any other asset as of now in terms of compared BTC value. If we really think of it, there has never been something like it before (if you know anything similar or better, please point that out to me). Even a 5% diversification in altcoin is unbearable to me now.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
Only during a major bull run and if you get lucky picking the right altcoins. Most of the time it's better to just stick to BTC, especially if one doesn't have the time or energy to follow what's going on with altcoins.

Yesterday I saw one very good comparison that shows what happened since the last BTC ATH, which was also ATH for most altcoins - and the difference is also more than obvious as you can see here. Everyone who invested in altcoins at that time believed that sooner or later their value would reach the same or even higher value again, but it seems that the time is behind us - although I wonder what an ETF would do in that regard if big players involved in trading with altcoins.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
This is already a classic and shabby story about someone who doesn't really believe in crypto, but if there was an instrument that would allow him to buy in the morning and sell in the evening without any worries about fees, transactions and security - then crypto would be very interesting asset. But that's the way big investors think, they don't necessarily understand or love something they make a profit on, but they want that investment to have a very easy entry and exit point.

That's true for most people who got involved with Bitcoin in the past 7-8 years.

The proof in favor of this is precisely in the fact that O'Leary talks about "the top 7 cryptocurrencies" because that way the profit would be much higher than if only BTC was traded. So there is no doubt that they want to invest, but they need something like an ETF and even more regulation, and it is only a matter of time before that happens.

Only during a major bull run and if you get lucky picking the right altcoins. Most of the time it's better to just stick to BTC, especially if one doesn't have the time or energy to follow what's going on with altcoins.

It is interesting to read (if you haven't already) what Andreas Antonopolous and our admin theymos think of the BTC ETF.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/97xa5s/andreas_antonopolous_etfs_are_not_good_for/

I remember that thread and can see that I've upvoted some comments there, but the video is down.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht
I wonder how swayed the SEC will be when everyone they share a line or two of ketamine with badgers them about doing something about an ETF. Give it another few years and they probably won't be hearing much else.

I wonder if they have an unwritten checklist to tick off before moving forward. Elsewhere there are an increasing number of options. By the time they ever do grind one out I expect it will have been routed around long before anyway so won't be the huge deal some expect.
legendary
Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299
You forgot to add a link to the article: https://markets.businessinsider.com/currencies/news/shark-tank-investor-kevin-oleary-says-he-would-buy-a-crypto-etf-2020-12-1029859503

I wonder which other six cryptocurrencies he has in mind. Not so eay to come up with that many non-scams.

Whoops!  Thanks
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
This is already a classic and shabby story about someone who doesn't really believe in crypto, but if there was an instrument that would allow him to buy in the morning and sell in the evening without any worries about fees, transactions and security - then crypto would be very interesting asset. But that's the way big investors think, they don't necessarily understand or love something they make a profit on, but they want that investment to have a very easy entry and exit point.

The proof in favor of this is precisely in the fact that O'Leary talks about "the top 7 cryptocurrencies" because that way the profit would be much higher than if only BTC was traded. So there is no doubt that they want to invest, but they need something like an ETF and even more regulation, and it is only a matter of time before that happens.

It is interesting to read (if you haven't already) what Andreas Antonopolous and our admin theymos think of the BTC ETF.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/97xa5s/andreas_antonopolous_etfs_are_not_good_for/
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422
If he would know how my last balanced portfolio 80% btc and 20% shitcoins performed he would never think of doing a stupid move like that. That 20% lost most of his btc value by more than 60% lately before I was able to rebalance (it's a long story).
Since last month I am 100% bitcoin. I can't stand that crap anymore.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
You forgot to add a link to the article: https://markets.businessinsider.com/currencies/news/shark-tank-investor-kevin-oleary-says-he-would-buy-a-crypto-etf-2020-12-1029859503

I wonder which other six cryptocurrencies he has in mind. Not so eay to come up with that many non-scams.
legendary
Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299
The pull quotes show this is why (a) there is huge upside still, and (b) people are getting in now while the price is relatively low:

"Give me the top 7 cryptocurrencies, put them into an ETF wrapper, and let me invest in it with liquidity so that if I want to buy a million dollars of it in the morning and sell a million dollars in the afternoon, I can do that in an ETF format," he said.

"...the seal of approval from the SEC that the ETF would require may convince more institutional investors to buy bitcoin, " he said. O'Leary said institutional support is "slowly creeping" into the bitcoin market, but many investors are still hesitant without "clearance from the regulators."

"If tomorrow morning we woke up and the SEC said you can create an ETF with bitcoin and we think bitcoin is legitimate payment system and storage of wealth, not only would it go up, you'd have a lot of people like me investing in it, because I'd say ok, I'll give it a 5% weighting," added O'Leary.

"Fortunately for O'Leary, the prospect of a crypto ETF may not be far out. In October, SEC Chairman James Clayton said the SEC is working on regulations that may one day authorize the use of cryptocurrency ETFs. "
Jump to: