Author

Topic: [2021-03-24] Elon Musk - now you can buy a Tesla for bitcoin (Read 372 times)

Activity: 882
Merit: 63
While Elon Musk sets the condition that there is at least 50% green mining for the resumption of payment for electric cars in bitcoin, the head of General Motors does not exclude the possibility of selling their cars for bitcoins "Nothing prevents us from doing this. We will be guided by our customers"- she says. https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/06/16/full-interview-with-gm-ceo-mary-barra-on-new-2025-electric-vehicle-plan.html?&qsearchterm=Mary%20Barra
Doesn't matter, as long as companies get in the bitcoin market with or without Elon, I am sure that it will be a positive thing for bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1490
While Elon Musk sets the condition that there is at least 50% green mining for the resumption of payment for electric cars in bitcoin, the head of General Motors does not exclude the possibility of selling their cars for bitcoins "Nothing prevents us from doing this. We will be guided by our customers"- she says. https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/06/16/full-interview-with-gm-ceo-mary-barra-on-new-2025-electric-vehicle-plan.html?&qsearchterm=Mary%20Barra
legendary
According to Sygnia Billionaire Co Founder Magda Wierzycka, Elon's actions regarding Bitcoin on Twitter would have made him the subject of an SEC investigation and harsh sanctions if it was not BTC, but a listed company. https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cryptocurrency/401283-elon-musk-manipulated-bitcoin-price-for-own-benefit-sygnia-founder.html

hv_
legendary
Merit: 1055
Clean Code and Scale
The SEC believes that Elon Musk twice violated a settlement agreement from 2018, according to which his tweets about Tesla must be approved by a lawyer. The SEC believes that Musk violated this agreement twice: the first time he did not agree with the lawyers in a tweet from July 2019, in which he shared the company's plans for the weekly production of 1,000 solar-powered roofs by the end of the same year. At the time, Tesla responded that Musk's assessment was "totally encouraging."

The second tweet was written in May 2020. In it, the businessman said that the price of Tesla shares is overstated. In response, the electric car manufacturer said that Musk only expressed "his opinion"  https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-failed-to-oversee-elon-musk-s-tweets-sec-argued-in-letters-11622582765?mod=hp_lead_pos2

Lookup Saylor ... holy
legendary
The SEC believes that Elon Musk twice violated a settlement agreement from 2018, according to which his tweets about Tesla must be approved by a lawyer. The SEC believes that Musk violated this agreement twice: the first time he did not agree with the lawyers in a tweet from July 2019, in which he shared the company's plans for the weekly production of 1,000 solar-powered roofs by the end of the same year. At the time, Tesla responded that Musk's assessment was "totally encouraging."

The second tweet was written in May 2020. In it, the businessman said that the price of Tesla shares is overstated. In response, the electric car manufacturer said that Musk only expressed "his opinion"  https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-failed-to-oversee-elon-musk-s-tweets-sec-argued-in-letters-11622582765?mod=hp_lead_pos2
Activity: 2842
Merit: 625
At the ironic suggestion from @DocumentingBTC, Musk created a potential new use case for Dogecoin mining, namely a bath (SPA-256 HotTub) heated by the spare energy coming from the DOGE mining installation. But Elon Musk took it seriously and said it was a great idea.. Smiley

LOL @ Elon.

It's probably a double meaning for him as well. He's just riding the irony that's being done to him as he's also doing that to everyone with his tweets.

The replies to his "nice" are funny and entertaining.
legendary
At the ironic suggestion from @DocumentingBTC, Musk created a potential new use case for Dogecoin mining, namely a bath (SPA-256 HotTub) heated by the spare energy coming from the DOGE mining installation. But Elon Musk took it seriously and said it was a great idea.. Smiley

legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1429
I think it this way, if people have not understood why all this energy is being used to secure the MOST secure decentralized network and, most of all, if they have not recognized what it means owning bitcoin during this difficult times, I am sorry but they can forget about bitcoin., no prob.
Good for us, there will be more satoshis for real bitcoiners.

It appears that this is what the people behind central banks and governments want. They want bitcoin and the cryptospace to be reduced into something minor and stop mainstream acceptance.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422
I think it this way, if people have not understood why all this energy is being used to secure the MOST secure decentralized network and, most of all, if they have not recognized what it means owning bitcoin during this difficult times, I am sorry but they can forget about bitcoin., no prob.
Amen brother, amen!
I've a similar way since I first discovered bitcoin back in the old days: I was asking myself, why wasting all this energy to mine invisible non-shiny coins? When digging deeper to discover the real value which stands besides the bitcoin protocol all the puzzles' pieces unfolded right before my eyes.
Bitcoin, in a nutshell, creates this virtuous cycle where everything works as intended.
A work of art, the art of a genius named Satoshi Nakamoto.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481
Activity: 1778
Merit: 871
Rollbit.com ⚔️Crypto Futures
Undoubtedly, green technologies will prevail in the future, but now the stability of the bitcoin network depends on the capacity that miners consume, why not pay attention to the gold producers or the same banking sector, which, as the Galaxy Digital report showed, consumes more than twice as much electricity per year as is used for mining in the bitcoin network 263.72 TWh in the bitcoin network, this indicator is 113.89 TWh per year Smiley https://www.scribd.com/document/508170253/Galaxy-Digital-Mining-On-Bitcoin-Energy-Consumption#from_embed

This is interesting, from this I can say it's safe to use bitcoin than the huge foot print fiat leaves....btw how did elon musk come to a conclusion that bitcoin is bad for business when there is something far worse than bitcoin mining itself???

Honestly These guys ought to do their research before coming on to these public platforms to condemn something!

If he so wishes let him go for stablecoins to avoid spreading FUD to hurt the crypto markets.
legendary
Disgruntled crypto enthusiasts have created a new token Fuck Elon Tweet (FUCKELON) to demonstrate disdain for Elon Musk's tweets, which they believe have an impact on the crypto asset market. The maximum offer will be 1 billion coins. FUCKELON holders became 9214 addresses over the past day the token has grown by 200%  https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoMoonShots/comments/nb34k1/fuck_elon_tweet_new_token_just_launched_with/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=title&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=9b80b272c33f4417a5768f0f236a4903&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=nb34k1

[quote author=https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoMoonShots/comments/nb34k1/fuck_elon_tweet_new_token_just_launched_with/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=title&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=9b80b272c33f4417a5768f0f236a4903&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=nb34k1]

[/quote]
Activity: 490
Merit: 101
FRX: Ferocious Alpha
If "green" technologies of electricity generation will dominate sometime, it will obviously not be soon. Or it will be the widespread use of nuclear power plants. Despite individual disasters (for example, Chernobyl), the world has not yet figured out where and by what technology we will cover the ever-growing demand for electricity. To blame bitcoin for environmental problems would rather be more logical for such an odious person as Gretta and not for an adult reasonable man like Elon. This is all pure manipulation.
legendary
Undoubtedly, green technologies will prevail in the future, but now the stability of the bitcoin network depends on the capacity that miners consume, why not pay attention to the gold producers or the same banking sector, which, as the Galaxy Digital report showed, consumes more than twice as much electricity per year as is used for mining in the bitcoin network 263.72 TWh in the bitcoin network, this indicator is 113.89 TWh per year Smiley https://www.scribd.com/document/508170253/Galaxy-Digital-Mining-On-Bitcoin-Energy-Consumption#from_embed

Activity: 658
Merit: 251
I'm just wondering how many people managed to take advantage of this opportunity and buy these wonderful "green" cars for Bitcoin? For some reason, it seems to me that not so many people have managed. Apparently, this is also why the guy decided to play everything back, although sometimes a simple answer suggests itself - that all this from the very beginning was some kind of a very unsuccessful rally in my opinion. What is the market to do now and how long will it fall because of this? It would be better if he wrote something encouraging on his twitter!
legendary
@stomachgrowls. This is about the changes in the renewable energy market as other automakers are beginning to comply with carbon emission rules. They are now presently after the renewable fuel credit market where they can also make money.

Source https://www.reuters.com/business/sustainable-business/exclusive-tesla-seeks-entry-into-us-renewable-fuel-credit-market-sources-2021-05-12/
Activity: 2828
Merit: 767
Elon stopped selling Tesla for bitcoin and will start selling for Doge, Musk's strange behavior leads to a storm in the crypto markets, while the head of Tesla says that he is not going to spoil himself from the bitcoins acquired by the company. Sad
Do you really believe with that fossil fuel use? https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/may/12/elon-musk-tesla-bitcoin

Im not really that too much in surprise that any companies or personalities would just make out some u-turn on what they had tell earlier neither they are positive or negative.

Everything could really changed up and i do feel sorry for those who get caught on the peak and ending up on holding until this very moment.
Neither Doge or Bitcoin, it doesnt matter on which one they do accept on.
legendary
Elon stopped selling Tesla for bitcoin and will start selling for Doge, Musk's strange behavior leads to a storm in the crypto markets, while the head of Tesla says that he is not going to spoil himself from the bitcoins acquired by the company. Sad
hv_
legendary
Merit: 1055
Clean Code and Scale
Can you still buy a Tesla ? Wasn't it removed cause of network congestions / high fees ?
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1217
It is good to see someone of Musk's caliber (power, status, wealth, influence) showing love to the underdog. It goes to show that the big boys are pulling out all the cards. Up till now, nobody thought institutions and big guys payed much attention to cryptocurrency but proves they've had on there poker faces for some time now, definitely fooled me. Musk's huge investment surely caused that last bull run surge we had a month or so ago, no?

Actually Tesla's moves with cryptocurrency took the exchange rates of Bitcoin above the $50,000 level on two occasions. The first occasion was on February, when they announced that they had accumulated $1.5 billion worth of BTC. And then once again, this week they announced that they have liquidated 10% of their holdings and they received a net profit of $100 million plus as a result. This news resulted in the exchange rates jumping from $49,000 to $53,500.
Activity: 1151
Merit: 260
☆Gaget-Pack☆
It is good to see someone of Musk's caliber (power, status, wealth, influence) showing love to the underdog. It goes to show that the big boys are pulling out all the cards. Up till now, nobody thought institutions and big guys payed much attention to cryptocurrency but proves they've had on there poker faces for some time now, definitely fooled me. Musk's huge investment surely caused that last bull run surge we had a month or so ago, no?
legendary
Elon Musk posted another vague tweet related to cryptocurrencies. This time, he didn't name his favorite DOGE or Bitcoin, but simply tweeted the question What does the future hodl? The community has started offering options between BTC or Doge Smiley

legendary
Sure the guy knows about PR but then he should have proposed Dogecoin for buying Teslas not Bitcoin. If you believe Doge is the currency for (and from) Mars you should go all in and allow your customers to get Dogecoin to buy your electric cars.
Be consistent, Elon, do that.  Roll Eyes

What I do know is that the guy has an agenda which is not very clear, as of now.

I reckon all these mainstream companies that are beginning to accept bitcoin for payments are only doing it for marketing, publicity and to pump their stock price. We know bitcoin has never regularly been used for everyday purchases by most of its holders.

This is another company that might be doing it for publicity. We might be in a similar stage as 2017 when many companies wanted their own blockchain hehehe.

WeWork will accept Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), USD Coin (USDC), Paxos (PAX) and other cryptocurrencies. Like EV manufacturer Tesla, which recently announced that it would accept payment for its products in Bitcoin, WeWork is electing to hold the cryptocurrency on its balance sheet rather than have the crypto payments converted to fiat money at the point of sale.

Source https://decrypt.co/68480/wework-now-accepting-bitcoin-and-other-cryptocurrencies
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 1783
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Pity it took so long, considering someone here on the forum (who I knew) bought a Tesla with BTC back in 2013 ...
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/2013-12-05-tesla-purchased-with-bitcoin-359217
(that was using BitPay, but I wouldn't go anywhere near BitPay any more)
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Elon musk is a very intelligent man , always looking for solutions and creating stuff that helps us understand this world , accepting bitcoin as a payment method opens a lot of doors for the futur and in my opinion bitcoin will be soon the next go to payment method .
legendary
Sure the guy knows about PR but then he should have proposed Dogecoin for buying Teslas not Bitcoin. If you believe Doge is the currency for (and from) Mars you should go all in and allow your customers to get Dogecoin to buy your electric cars.
Be consistent, Elon, do that.  Roll Eyes

What I do know is that the guy has an agenda which is not very clear, as of now.
You can treat Elon Musk as you like - you can praise him, you can criticize him or even hate him (there are some) - but one thing we can say for sure is that this guy knows a lot about PR and how to raise this or that product to new heights or service. There is a lot to learn, there is something to think about. If we leave aside the personal attitude towards Elon Musk, then it is worth saying "thank you" to him for what he is doing for the entire market and the community with his support and the steps he is taking for this.
legendary
A guy that made a useeless coin like doge traded by millions of dumb people, can truly unleash the power of AI.
Joking aside, I do not like these AI advancements, I do not like AI, I actually prefer dumb people. They can be like geniuses from time to time but AI will never have a scent of genius.
legendary
Well, Elon Musk (I think he's from another planet Smiley ) tries to be the best everywhere, so for example, he said that Tesla will become one of the largest companies in the field of AI in the near future. He also mentioned that Google is still far ahead. Smiley

Activity: 490
Merit: 101
FRX: Ferocious Alpha
Elon Musk is a smart man and looks further than most people think. It's not just that he manages such projects quite successfully, and he also makes a lot of hype and creates informational reasons to talk about himself and his products. If the time has come when everyone is talking about Bitcoin, Elon Musk immediately declares that he invests in it and takes such a step as buying his cars for Bitcoin. This is not brilliant, but very competent and, most importantly, in a timely manner! Bravo Elon! Keep it up!
Activity: 1680
Merit: 655
I hope Tesla will not be the only automobile manufacturer to accept Bitcoin as a mode of payment in 2021. The problem is that the other automobile corporations (Toyota, Volkswagen, Daimler, Ford, Honda.etc) are headed by individuals in their 60s and 70s and naturally these people are against new innovations such as Bitcoin. The advantage with Telsa is that it is being run by people who are more receptive towards new technology.

This can be possibly done by now the only thing that made it happen fast for Tesla is that this decision is coming from the higher ups itself that is why they have covered all their dealerships in the US. However the dealerships itself for other car manufacturers can accept Bitcoin as a mode of payment freely without the management approving it as accepting more modes of payment can easily be translated to sales for their dealership which car manufacturers are also looking for if more and more dealerships accept Bitcoin as a mode of payment and people are actually opting in using it maybe we can see the company itself accept Bitcoin as a mode of payment across all branches.
Activity: 1974
Merit: 453
I hope Tesla will not be the only automobile manufacturer to accept Bitcoin as a mode of payment in 2021. The problem is that the other automobile corporations (Toyota, Volkswagen, Daimler, Ford, Honda.etc) are headed by individuals in their 60s and 70s and naturally these people are against new innovations such as Bitcoin. The advantage with Telsa is that it is being run by people who are more receptive towards new technology.
Another good reason to invest in bitcoin further and believe in its future and price growth. The media and technical support of a giant like Tesla will have a long-term impact on the market, even from a psychological point of view. Elon Musk is an icon for many and his opinion and support will have an impact on these masses of people. The market is obliged to react with another positive and growth, and investors will find in this news a source of confidence in their investments in bitcoin. It's great!
legendary
@Daltonik. I have always been a skeptic about the elite's acceptance of bitcoin and the cryptospace, however, helping an opensource project find bugs to make the bitcoin ecosystem a more secure place should be given merit. Thank you for this good news!

Agreed, and not to mention that they are staying in bitcoin, not converting it.  I do wonder how many people will actually use it, but it is certainly good publicity for both Telsa and bitcoin.

I reckon there will never be that much people that will begin to use bitcoin for buying anything because of volatility and high fees. I also reckon the very few who use it hope that not many is using it right before they do their transactions hehehe. This is what looking at the mempool is like hehe.
Activity: 280
Merit: 28
@Daltonik. I have always been a skeptic about the elite's acceptance of bitcoin and the cryptospace, however, helping an opensource project find bugs to make the bitcoin ecosystem a more secure place should be given merit. Thank you for this good news!

Agreed, and not to mention that they are staying in bitcoin, not converting it. 

Unfortunately statements and reality don't always match in large scale business, not to mention politics.

I do wonder how many people will actually use it, but it is certainly good publicity for both Telsa and bitcoin.

I guess we'll see at least a few.

legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1295

Agreed, and not to mention that they are staying in bitcoin, not converting it.  I do wonder how many people will actually use it, but it is certainly good publicity for both Telsa and bitcoin.
legendary
legendary
As you can see, Tesla not only supports Doge and buys bitcoin, but also actively participates in identifying bugs in the code so the Tesla team found problems in the code of the BTCPay Server wallet. The bug "affected users downloading BTCPay from Docker Deployment, using a configured mailing list server and connected registration in Server Settings > Policies", said the founder of BTCPay, Nicolas Dorier. https://github.com/btcpayserver/btcpayserver/releases/tag/v1.0.7.1  Smiley

"We would like to thank @teslamotors for their responsible disclosure, assistance in correcting the situation, and professionalism. We would also like to thank Kaiser Abbas, an independent web security researcher, for the additional responsible disclosure of the vulnerability that was addressed in this release".
legendary
Elon Musk said that Tesla has started selling electric cars in the US for bitcoin

Musk added that the option will become available outside the US "later this year."

According to him, the company does not plan to convert cryptocurrency into fiat money.
Musk stressed that Tesla has its own nodes.

Some users from the US noted that they do not see the option to buy with bitcoin.

Jump to: