Author

Topic: [2021-06-27] Bitcoiner Mircea Popescu Dead By Drowning (Read 159 times)

Activity: 1120
Merit: 68
The threads created about his death didn't mention that his death was due to drowning, that's a pretty grim and eerie way to die if you ask me. I send my condolences and prayers to the people and relatives he left behind even though I am just a complete stranger on the Internet.
Activity: 2828
Merit: 767
Bitcoiner Mircea Popescu Dead By Drowning

https://www.trustnodes.com/2021/06/27/bitcoiner-mircea-popescu-dead-by-drowning

"Mircea Popescu, a 2011 bitcoin adopter who operated the now long defunct stocks, bonds and options MPEx exchange founded in April 2012 – which required 30 bitcoin to join – has drowned at sea.

The Judicial Investigation Agency (OIJ) of Costa Rica identified the drowned 41 year old as Mircea Popescu, though they say he is of Polish origin when he is known to be Romanian.

“The events occurred around 8:30 am when Popescu entered the sea to swim in the Tramonto sector, was swept away by the current and died on the spot.  

Jacó Beach lifeguards remind tourists and bathers that Paya Hermosa is not an area for swimming,” local media says."
Sorry to hear such incident and this really proves and remind us that we dont know on when,how and where we would die.Life is just been borrowed and can be taken anytime unexpectedly.

Main question on here is that, is he able to share up his wallet informations or simply make some inheritance of those coins he possesses? Since this guy is an early adopter then its most likely he's a whale.

On the other side of things then we should really be always be informed on places that we do tend to make some activity or hanging out because there might really be those informations
which would really be helpful for you to avoid such dangerous situation which might cause death.
Activity: 1918
Merit: 535
No way 1 million. I don't think there is any confirmation, would anyone do that?  I'd guess in the 10k range.

He claimed to have 1M BTC when it was way cheaper, but still, he was always a sort of a troll, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

The real question is: has anyone seen the body to confirm it's actually him?

https://www.zerohedge.com/crypto/questions-swirl-after-mysterious-drowning-death-41-year-old-bitcoin-billionaire

citation begins:
"It looks like that with the deaths of Mircea Popescu and John McAfee a significant amount of $BTC might be lost forever. RIP," tweeted Marder (though McAfee claimed to have been broke near the time of his death).
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721
No way 1 million. I don't think there is any confirmation, would anyone do that?  I'd guess in the 10k range.

He claimed to have 1M BTC when it was way cheaper, but still, he was always a sort of a troll, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

The real question is: has anyone seen the body to confirm it's actually him?
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1429
@Renampun. That place would make it the perfect location to fake your own death hehehe.

Why would Mircea choose such a place for rest and recreation? He certainly did pay attention and chose the place where he would end up dead. Allegedly hehehe. Unless there was a body found and identified.
Activity: 2044
Merit: 329
I read the site and saw that playa has big waves and can't be used as a swimming location...

REASONS NOT TO VISIT
Riptides and big waves mean you cannot swim
It is not very family friendly
No all inclusive resorts
Most accommodations cater to the surfing community (not necessarily a bad thing, but worth consideration to some)

surely he did not pay attention to this and considered the prohibition to be incorrect. May you rest in peace Mircea Popescu
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1429
A person who would be certainly be imaginable to fake his own death is Mircea hehe. Also, if he really did this it is also very imaginable that he might have dumped much of his coins during the market pump for Monero to avoid any detection of his public address on the blockchain.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

maybe

it's sad I feel the need to take that stance, but there is a significant motive for foul play of some kind; either faking his own death or being killed for his money (or some political shenanigans he may have mixed himself up in, which he has a demonstrated proclivity for)
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1295
Is there any confirmation on how many coins he owned? Somewhere in this forum, I found a crazy claim that Mircea Popescu owned BTC1,000,000 in his wallets. There is not even a 0.01% chance that this is true (unless he is the real Satoshi Nakamoto). In one of the news portals, I found this claim that he had $1 billion worth of cryptocurrency with him. Now this is more believable for me. BTW, the circumstances surrounding his death sounds suspicious. What are the chances that he will venture in to a part of Playa Hermosa, which is known to be dangerous? 

No way 1 million. I don't think there is any confirmation, would anyone do that?  I'd guess in the 10k range.
Activity: 1974
Merit: 453
Is there any confirmation on how many coins he owned? Somewhere in this forum, I found a crazy claim that Mircea Popescu owned BTC1,000,000 in his wallets. There is not even a 0.01% chance that this is true (unless he is the real Satoshi Nakamoto). In one of the news portals, I found this claim that he had $1 billion worth of cryptocurrency with him. Now this is more believable for me. BTW, the circumstances surrounding his death sounds suspicious. What are the chances that he will venture in to a part of Playa Hermosa, which is known to be dangerous? 
hv_
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055
Clean Code and Scale
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 4270

https://www.trustnodes.com/2021/06/27/bitcoiner-mircea-popescu-dead-by-drowning

"Mircea Popescu, a 2011 bitcoin adopter who operated the now long defunct stocks, bonds and options MPEx exchange founded in April 2012 – which required 30 bitcoin to join – has drowned at sea.

The Judicial Investigation Agency (OIJ) of Costa Rica identified the drowned 41 year old as Mircea Popescu, though they say he is of Polish origin when he is known to be Romanian.

“The events occurred around 8:30 am when Popescu entered the sea to swim in the Tramonto sector, was swept away by the current and died on the spot.  

Jacó Beach lifeguards remind tourists and bathers that Paya Hermosa is not an area for swimming,” local media says."
Jump to: