Author

Topic: 3 Bitcoin Suddenly Appeared in My Digital Wallet (Read 214 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
The banner at the top of the page said "update to Ledger Live 2.43.1", but when I actually went through with the update, it said that I updated to version 2.43.0.
I haven't updated to the latest version either. I am also still on v2.42.0. It seems that they migrated to a new repository, that's why there is no information about the changes made in the newest versions in the old GitHub repository. The new one is here, but I can't find any release info. According to the Ledger Live downloads page, the newest version is indeed 2.43.1. Not sure why you couldn't immediately jump to the latest one and the software upgraded to 2.43.0 first. I will take a look at it to see if the same thing happens to me when I decide to make the update.
Activity: 80
Merit: 16
What eversion are you using now? v2.42.0 should be the latest one. You can always stay informed about the changes here.
The banner at the top of the page said "update to Ledger Live 2.43.1", but when I actually went through with the update, it said that I updated to version 2.43.0.

How often do you use your Ledger and Ledger Live?
The last couple of months, I've been using it maybe 3-4X a month.
legendary
For example, a user could ignore Electrum signature authentication or otherwise compromise their wallet, which would be a really unfortunate event. Is it possible to make a fatal mistake here?
Like PrivacyG mentioned above, there shouldn't be a way for you to compromise your Bitcoin because hardware wallets were designed not to be affected by malware. Even if you downloaded a fake wallet, it can't get to your private keys or seed unless you get tricked into typing it in somewhere. If the fake Electrum wallet can send Bitcoin to an address of your choice, you should in theory be able to use it.

Still, that doesn't mean one should care less about security because they have a hardware wallet where the keys can't be touched. A fake wallet could come with other types of malware that could make your system unsafe. Keylogging software, for example.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5634
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
Ledger is increasingly disappointing with its constant proving that it is incapable of providing its customers with even the basics, which is to see the right balance when they launch LL. Imagine a situation where someone realizes that he is missing half of what he kept in HW, and someone with a weak heart may not survive it. Of course blockchain never lies, but how many people know they can check their balances and transactions that way?

A month ago, someone had a similar problem -> Ledger Nano S balance suddenly double + My BTC transaction happened TWICE in my Ledger & amount doubled (is it real?)
Activity: 756
Merit: 1723
Crypto Swap Exchange
In such nervous situations, I would recommend checking the contents of your address on other wallets very carefully. For example, a user could ignore Electrum signature authentication or otherwise compromise their wallet, which would be a really unfortunate event. Is it possible to make a fatal mistake here?
As far as I am concerned, there are no known vulnerabilities in the connection between a Ledger or Trezor and Electrum that makes it possible for a perpetrator to steal coins.  Since neither Ledger or Trezor communicate private keys or the seed to external devices ever, your balance is theoretically always safe.

In theory, you could plug your Trezor or Ledger into the most malware and spyware filled computer and your balance will be intact.  That is, as long as the user continues to carefully checks all the information their Hardware Wallet displays when verifying and signing a transaction.  What a compromised Electrum may do is make the user make mistakes such as writing down the seed into the compromised Electrum, accepting a transaction on their Hardware Wallet to the wrong address et cetera.  Long story short, having a safe wallet does not make for an excuse for laziness and carelessness.

-
Regards,
PrivacyG
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
In my opinion, it is easier and faster to check the balance with something like Blockchain explorer as already suggested by Welsh...
It is if you are talking about a wallet where you have only generated and given out a few receiving addresses. But imagine if it happened on a wallet created 7-8 years ago with several hundreds of used Bitcoin addresses! The thing with this kind of display bug is that it doesn't necessarily have to show you the transaction in your history (because there was none). You just notice that your balance went up/down, but if you check your transaction history, there might not be anything there. Checking one or two addresses on a blockchain explorer is simple, checking 200 - not so much.
Right, in this case it might not be easy to check 200 addresses.

by copy-pasting Bitcoin address than downloading Electrum wallet and checking the signature of it for authenticity and then importing seed-phrase.
When you connect your Electrum and Ledger, you don't import any seed phrases. There is an option in Electrum when you create a new standard wallet called "use a hardware device". Just connect the Nano, open its Bitcoin app, and follow the on-screen instructions on Electrum.
So I was wrong. This is the advantage of the forum that others can immediately correct.

In such nervous situations, I would recommend checking the contents of your address on other wallets very carefully. For example, a user could ignore Electrum signature authentication or otherwise compromise their wallet, which would be a really unfortunate event. Is it possible to make a fatal mistake here?

Still, in my opinion, ordinary users need to take these actions carefully and slowly, and if they use Ledger Live, then this is exactly the case.

If an user uses Ledger Live, then the probability that he has Electrum wallet preinstalled is very low.
Electrum is a much more user-friendly wallet than Ledger Live. Especially for things like coin control, selecting fees, freezing certain inputs, etc. Whoever has tried it will see its benefits compared to Ledger Live.
By the way, now all Ledger Live users after this topic will know that when the balance changes, the magic “clear cache” button will help.
legendary
In my opinion, it is easier and faster to check the balance with something like Blockchain explorer as already suggested by Welsh...
It is if you are talking about a wallet where you have only generated and given out a few receiving addresses. But imagine if it happened on a wallet created 7-8 years ago with several hundreds of used Bitcoin addresses! The thing with this kind of display bug is that it doesn't necessarily have to show you the transaction in your history (because there was none). You just notice that your balance went up/down, but if you check your transaction history, there might not be anything there. Checking one or two addresses on a blockchain explorer is simple, checking 200 - not so much.

by copy-pasting Bitcoin address than downloading Electrum wallet and checking the signature of it for authenticity and then importing seed-phrase.
When you connect your Electrum and Ledger, you don't import any seed phrases. There is an option in Electrum when you create a new standard wallet called "use a hardware device". Just connect the Nano, open its Bitcoin app, and follow the on-screen instructions on Electrum.

If an user uses Ledger Live, then the probability that he has Electrum wallet preinstalled is very low.
Electrum is a much more user-friendly wallet than Ledger Live. Especially for things like coin control, selecting fees, freezing certain inputs, etc. Whoever has tried it will see its benefits compared to Ledger Live.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
Whenever you are in doubt about your balance, just connect your Ledger with Electrum and you should see the correct info. But you need to close Ledger Live before connecting to Electrum and make sure the BTC app is open when you are setting up your Electrum wallet. Don't worry about your seed, you don't need to enter it, nor does Electrum have access to your private keys. And if your history/recent transaction tab doesn't show any incoming 1.5 BTC transaction, it's just a server bug.
In my opinion, it is easier and faster to check the balance with something like Blockchain explorer as already suggested by Welsh, by copy-pasting Bitcoin address than downloading Electrum wallet and checking the signature of it for authenticity and then importing seed-phrase. If an user uses Ledger Live, then the probability that he has Electrum wallet preinstalled is very low. I'm talking about less action. This is important, as the user starts to get worried when he sees a change in the balance, especially if it is down. Therefore, the sooner he checks the address, the calmer he will be if he makes sure that everything is ok with bitcoin balance.
legendary
Did you, by any chance, copy the address with the 1.5 BTC and imported it somehow twice?
There isn't an option in Ledger Live to import addresses or public keys like you have on Electrum, so that shouldn't be it.

The thing is, I've been "updating" my Ledger literally every time I connected it for about a year now, because it keeps prompting me. This time, I wrote down the Ledger Live version to make sure that it doesn't prompt me again for the same update next time. I haven't paid attention, but I suspect I've been "updating" the same version multiple times.
What eversion are you using now? v2.42.0 should be the latest one. You can always stay informed about the changes here.

How often do you use your Ledger and Ledger Live? They often release updates. I would say two times a month. If you aren't using it that often, it's quite possible that a new update was released in the meantime. You can see what version you have installed in the settings. I think the correct tab is "About". Just click on the gear icon and you will find it after a while.

Whenever you are in doubt about your balance, just connect your Ledger with Electrum and you should see the correct info. But you need to close Ledger Live before connecting to Electrum and make sure the BTC app is open when you are setting up your Electrum wallet. Don't worry about your seed, you don't need to enter it, nor does Electrum have access to your private keys. And if your history/recent transaction tab doesn't show any incoming 1.5 BTC transaction, it's just a server bug.
Nice to see you learn something new so you can solve this kind of bug in the future, I believe the glitch is not far from a network malfunction so just updated to a new app with more features next time.
👍
Activity: 672
Merit: 273
Nice to see you learn something new so you can solve this kind of bug in the future, I believe the glitch is not far from a network malfunction so just updated to a new app with more features next time.
Chances of getting 1.5 bitcoins due to random sending are closer to the chance of winning the lottery without buying any tickets.

Check your actual/real balance by pasting your address in more than one block explorers, if it is present, then track who sent it, otherwise the problem is either from the server or from the cache.

Try to connect your hardware wallet with your electrum wallet to get many features.
Yeah, I figured that, but I cleared the cache, and my balance updated to the correct amount. I'm actually relieved about this, since it means that my balances can't randomly change (for better or worse).
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 3612
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
Chances of getting 1.5 bitcoins due to random sending are closer to the chance of winning the lottery without buying any tickets.

Check your actual/real balance by pasting your address in more than one block explorers, if it is present, then track who sent it, otherwise the problem is either from the server or from the cache.

Try to connect your hardware wallet with your electrum wallet to get many features.
I've seen this kind of bug being reported here in the past too.
OP, you didn't get any new coins, it's just a (temporary) display bug.

In order to fix it, the options I see are:
1. Migrate to Electrum, it has less bugs than Ledger Live and it works good with Ledger, just make sure you download it from electrum.org and verify the download.
2. Clear the cache for Ledger Live, then check again.
Cleared the cache. Fixed the problem. I'm back to 1.5 BTC again. Thanks.
I noticed that the "update Ledger" prompt at the top of my screen disappeared after I cleared the cache. Nice bonus.
Activity: 756
Merit: 1723
Crypto Swap Exchange
Check it via a Blockchain explorer, then you'll know if someone has actually deposited something to your address (unlikely) or Ledger is acting up. I would've thought that other people would have reported this issue if it was on the Ledger side of things though. Unless, you aren't up to date with the latest updates?
I used to have this issue all the time with Ledger.  Not showing full balance or showing more than I actually had.  And when the latter happened, it was typically showing exactly double instead of the real amount.

I therefore suspect it is a problem with their software as well.  My question is, how do you check your balance via a Blockchain Explorer?  I do not remember Live having any option to show used addresses.  My advice is to check your balance with Electrum instead, it provides a much more accurate description of what your wallet truly looks like.

-
Regards,
PrivacyG
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
I've seen this kind of bug being reported here in the past too.
OP, you didn't get any new coins, it's just a (temporary) display bug.

In order to fix it, the options I see are:
1. Migrate to Electrum, it has less bugs than Ledger Live and it works good with Ledger, just make sure you download it from electrum.org and verify the download.
2. Clear the cache for Ledger Live, then check again.
Check it via a Blockchain explorer, then you'll know if someone has actually deposited something to your address (unlikely) or Ledger is acting up. I would've thought that other people would have reported this issue if it was on the Ledger side of things though. Unless, you aren't up to date with the latest updates?
The thing is, I've been "updating" my Ledger literally every time I connected it for about a year now, because it keeps prompting me. This time, I wrote down the Ledger Live version to make sure that it doesn't prompt me again for the same update next time. I haven't paid attention, but I suspect I've been "updating" the same version multiple times.
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

Although, if it's a glitch on their side, and not something on your system that's causing it. I'd definitely be questioning the software behind it, especially when its holding something that's so sensitive.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1208
Once a man, twice a child!
OP, can't you even take a little surprise present from the maverick Satoshi? At least, for once without being hysterical? 🙊

Joking aside...

I want to believe it's a glitch. But then, if it's a glitch why did it happen to only Bitcoin in that wallet as you said other cryptos there in your Ledger had their right balances. Sometime last year, Trust Wallet had a glitch and every crypto in my wallet (it wasn't just with me. I confirmed from friends who also experienced same while it was happening) went haywire and values surged out of proportion. It affected all cryptos in my TW, not singling out any. This is where I doubt if it's just a glitch. It could be something more. You've to take necessary safety measure to forestall any hack.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
I better get rid of all my coins, someone just double-spent bitcoin!  Tongue

What's going on here?
Probably something wrong with Ledger's server? Either you or Ledger, that's forcing you to use its server AFAIK, is the one to blame for. Did you, by any chance, copy the address with the 1.5 BTC and imported it somehow twice? No, so it's either Ledger's front-end or back-end.
I've had a balance of about 1.5 Bitcoin on my Ledger Nano S for years. But today, I connected it, and was shocked to see a balance of over 3 Bitcoin appear on my screen (all the other coins on my Ledger show the correct balances).

I checked to see if any Bitcoin was recently deposited into my account from some unknown address, and aside from the small deposits that I've been making from purchases on Coinbase (~$200 each), there hasn't been any.

Figuring this had to be a glitch, I logged off, restarted my desktop, and connected my Ledger, again..... and again it showed a balance of over 3 BTC.

What's going on here?

What concerns me is that this glitch (?) can also go the other way, and show a balance that's lower than my original amount, or even zero, the next time I connect it. I'm seriously doubting the reliability of my digital wallet now.

FYI: When I attempted to log on the first time today (before I discovered 3 BTC in my wallet), my Ledger froze up. I had to unplug it and plug it in again before I was able to connect. Can this have something to do with it?

Jump to: