Author

Topic: 3 quick questions please (Read 448 times)

legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167
MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG
May 04, 2013, 11:24:59 AM
thank you very much for your answers, that has been very helpful indeed.
cheers Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010
May 04, 2013, 11:03:50 AM
1. i just mined a tiny bit of bitbar however it says immature, and is taking forever to mature.  Is it okay to turn off my pc or will this cause me to lose my 0.18 or whatever bit bar?

it takes 520 confirms for coins to mature. No u do not need to have the wallet online for this, its the blocks that are generated on blockchain that give confirmations, so once u have 6 confirms the block will most likely not be orphaned and u can safely switch off ur comp

2. with all wallets, do you need to have them closed when you copy the wallet.dat

no u do not need to, u can just copy and past across the file somewhere else... though for safety reasons it can be wise to always lock the wallet b4 backing it up by "Encrypt wallet" option... as anyone else if they got hold of ur wallet.dat could send the coins to another addy

so as u describing in 3.. that is the correct way and safely locked the wallet, others can view your balance and activity as its broardcast on the blockchain, but as they don't have the password they can not send coins from wallet... and they can not even create a new address for the wallet to receive coins.. good way of testing Smiley

and AFAIK it IS possible to mine on a locked wallet, though proof of stake won't work... well it like that for PPCoin

hope this helps
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
May 04, 2013, 10:57:13 AM
hi,

1. i just mined a tiny bit of bitbar however it says immature, and is taking forever to mature.  Is it okay to turn off my pc or will this cause me to lose my 0.18 or whatever bit bar?

2. with all wallets, do you need to have them closed when you copy the wallet.dat

3. if you do it in this order  open wallet, encrypt wallet, close wallet again, whilst closed copy the wallet.dat..... does it matter at all if someone else gets my wallet.dat if they dont know my password.
thanks for any help. I would have asked this in the newbie forum but i don't want to risk another newbie like myself telling me the wrong answer and i ruin my wallets.

oh yeah and is it true you can't solo mine after encrypting the wallet?

i tried looking for answer but i keep seeing different opinions on this.

thanks again.
1. yes 2. no (but you should probably always close any file you wish to copy) 3. no it's encrypted, yes you can't mine, afaik
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167
MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG
May 04, 2013, 10:41:17 AM
hi,

1. i just mined a tiny bit of bitbar however it says immature, and is taking forever to mature.  Is it okay to turn off my pc or will this cause me to lose my 0.18 or whatever bit bar?

3. if you do it in this order  open wallet, encrypt wallet, close wallet again, whilst closed copy the wallet.dat..... does it matter at all if someone else gets my wallet.dat if they dont know my password.
thanks for any help. I would have asked this in the newbie forum but i don't want to risk another newbie like myself telling me the wrong answer and i ruin my wallets.

oh yeah and is it true you can't solo mine after encrypting the wallet?

i tried looking for answer but i keep seeing different opinions on this.

thanks again.
Jump to: